Need Identification: Chess set from Highlander - The Series

BeLikeWater

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Saw this really nice looking chess set on an episode of Highlander The Series ("Blind Faith") and was wondering if anyone knows where it's from. Will try and get more screen grabs from other episodes. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 12.34.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 12.34.31 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 347
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 12.33.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 12.33.12 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 287
My only suggestion would be search antique medieval chessmen. looked a bit and this is as close as I got. but these look toy like compared to those.

il_fullxfull.711864271_7985.jpgScreen Shot 2015-07-04 at 12.33.12 AM.png

king.jpg
queen.jpg
bishop.jpg

I found a eBay listing for Vintage 1950's E.S. Lowe Renaissance Chess Set replacement pieces
There are other listings, but this one had the close up pictures to confirm a match on the larger pieces.
The pawns that I saw did not have the exact Dragon on the shield. Apparently there are several versions
of this chess set.

king.jpg

queen.jpg

bishop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is clearly the right chess set, but after looking at the other auctions, I conclude they made a custom dragon to add to the shield of the pawns. That, and a superior paint job.

If you compare the two kings side by side magnified. there looks to be subtle deference's. take a good look at the crown rim...

Either, it is a variation from the same artist...
...or They (prop people of Highlander) modified an existing set in subtle ways to make it unique.

Just checked, the castle is different too. The E.S. Lowe set says it is based on a 15th century chess set. It is possible Highlander has an original set. A true antique.

yep. and I hope the OP has financial resources if he wants to acquire a set. probably wouldn't be cheap.. great Job of tracking Jintosh...:thumbsup

Considering the E.S. Lowe set is under $50 and is really close, I would probably go with that.

BeLikeWater.....can you get more screen grabs ? I might like to make a more accurate set and print it at Shapeways for myself.

Thanks everyone for your help in tracking this down. Looks like I have more research ahead of me!

As for more screenshots, I found a couple more (but nothing up close) of the entire set in the episode Unholy Alliance: Part 1. Hope this helps!

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 12.54.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-06 at 12.54.32 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-06 at 12.54.22 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-06 at 12.53.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-06 at 12.52.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-06 at 1.01.52 AM.png

Also, found this image. Could it just be that the show used the black/dark brown version of the set from the 50's? I doubt Highlander, which had an extremely tight budget per episode, used a real set from the 15th century. Not impossible, but a little improbable.
$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Also, found this image. Could it just be that the show used the black/dark brown version of the set from the 50's? I doubt Highlander, which had an extremely tight budget per episode, used a real set from the 15th century. Not impossible, but a little improbable.

View attachment 497124

Belikewater this link Is not working.. I will look a little further also.and the the pieces that are different could have been changed with pieces from another set. the one's jintosh found are almost spot on. just lacking a bit more detail. there out there just have to track em down..

The appearance of chess sets is copyrighted. I don't think there's going to be another commercial set that is any closer.

This may be a 15th century set OWNED by one of the actors and crew and just used as a prop. For instance, the dragon ring on Jack Sparrow is known to belong to Johnny Depp. He used his own property as a prop.

board.jpg

Found something somewhat similar on eBay. The title said, 18x18" Drueke Chess Board Collectors Condition.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back