Need help StarCrash and StarCrash 2 ship

Contec

Master Member
There is a ship from the movies Starcrash and ESCAPE FROM GALAXY 3 or
Giochi Erotici Nella 3a Galassia - aka STARCRASH 2
It has a special place in my heart and i would love to have it :)
Do anyone have any better pictures or know anything about this model
I really hope you can help .
gal7.jpg

starcrash008.jpg

gal17.jpg

I know that most of the other models were kitbashed together. Just look at this one.
starcrash21.jpg

and Yes, this is david hasselhoff battling robots with a lightsaber....:lol
The Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzfuNSpP0RA

I think the 1st Starlog SFX photo guide book had a few shots from Starcrash, including the shop supervisor working on this model (glueing some bits on).

Will see if i scan it for you this weekend.

Wasili

I think the 1st Starlog SFX photo guide book had a few shots from Starcrash, including the shop supervisor working on this model (glueing some bits on).

Will see if i scan it for you this weekend.

Wasili

Thanks that would be great :thumbsup

I looked online and stumbled on this website : http://www.golobthehumanoid.com/starcrashfront.html It dont have any good shots of the model that im after but a few good one on the others.

Starcrash was an interesting movie for the model makers. They had something like, less than a WEEK to make all the spacecraft models for the film (something deep in the recesses of my mind says it was three days!) No time for lighting or even careful detailing, bits were glued on very quickly, sometimes still attached to sprue! The models were then painted silver and hit with colored lights to compensate for the lack of internal lighting.

That looks SOOOOooooo bad. And why Lucas didn't sue them is beyond me...obviously trying to rip off and cash in on Star Wars' success.

I have a feeling one of the Starcrash ship models sold through Profiles or Bonhams over the past few years so you could maybe download some of the old Profiles catalogs from their site and check there.Can't be sure but I loved this movie too when I was a kid (ANYTHING sci-fi I watched,lol) and I remember seeing something from this over the past couple of years up for auction.

Starcrash was an interesting movie for the model makers. They had something like, less than a WEEK to make all the spacecraft models for the film (something deep in the recesses of my mind says it was three days!) No time for lighting or even careful detailing, bits were glued on very quickly, sometimes still attached to sprue! The models were then painted silver and hit with colored lights to compensate for the lack of internal lighting.
I found this little bit about the making time:

The films special effects were produced by a first time technician who, because of the tight schedule, had to build all the film's models in two days. The results were hit and miss.

I have a feeling one of the Starcrash ship models sold through Profiles or Bonhams over the past few years so you could maybe download some of the old Profiles catalogs from their site and check there.Can't be sure but I loved this movie too when I was a kid (ANYTHING sci-fi I watched,lol) and I remember seeing something from this over the past couple of years up for auction.

Thanks but i already know about that ship :
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6321572
Its not the one im after but still it looks cool.
starcrash1.jpg
starcrash2.jpg
starcrash3.jpg

Just look at this ship the model maker made for other scifi movies around the same time:
val5.jpg

It looks like he use a upside down aircraft carrier for the body and some tank treads for details.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Just look at this ship the model maker made for other scifi movies around the same time:

It looks like he use a upside down aircraft carrier for the body and some tank treads for details.

And it looks like he had read about using parts of off the shelf model kits for detailing, but noone told him that they should be separated from the sprues and then applied in a near-random fashion :lol

From STARLOG:

"Starcrash" or "The adventures of Stella Star" had to begin shooting with no preparation at all. Two day before shooting was to begin in September 1977, no props had been made. Director/writer Luigi Cozzi hired 96 technicians to build props and models for his film; all the props were built in two days! Miniature ships were built by a few youths led by 20-year-old Paol Zeccara, from designs by illustrator Niso Ramponi. The models were spray painted silver and illuminated with colored lights because of the shockingly short time schedule.

ScanStarlogStarcrash.jpg

StarlogStarcrashModel.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures ManfromNaboo. I hope that some more picture will show up :)

You are welcome. Unfortunately there were no additional pictures in the Starlog that Wasili had mentioned.

Maybe you should go the "stalker route" and hunt down Paolo Zeccara, the model maker pictured. Niso Ramponi, the illustrator is easier to locate, and it seems like they were still in contact over the years, so that might be a good lead. OR (cue lightning and thunderbolt !) give our own italian member Ramiel a holler, maybe he can help locate the guy ?

You are welcome. Unfortunately there were no additional pictures in the Starlog that Wasili had mentioned.

Maybe you should go the "stalker route" and hunt down Paolo Zeccara, the model maker pictured. Niso Ramponi, the illustrator is easier to locate, and it seems like they were still in contact over the years, so that might be a good lead. OR (cue lightning and thunderbolt !) give our own italian member Ramiel a holler, maybe he can help locate the guy ?

I will try to do that :)

I absolutely love that film. It is so spectacularly bad, with so many high( and low )lights...

• Caroline Munroe's outfits.
  • The attack torpedoes that are fired through the windows of the defending ship and pop open to release soldiers (with no kind of breathing apparatus).
  • The Harryhausen-inspired robot swordsmen.
  • Christopher Plummer delivering lines in his sleep, while apparently afraid to move on his dangerously over-spikey throne.
  • A hero named "Acton" (this is probably only funny for Londoners).
  • The Hoff
  • The fly-over by a ship that is kit-bashed using complete sprues taken straight out of an Airfix box.
  • So many failed Star Wars rip-offs.
  • Probably the most annoying robot sidekick ever.
  • Caroline Munroe's outfits.

I could go on. Suffice to say it's a must see.

I actually bid on the ship that came up in the Profiles in History Ackerman auction recently. I was quite surprised there were so many other people mad enough and with enough affection for the film to do the same.

Can you imagine what the world would be like today if Star Wars had the same prodcution values as this?:lol

I have to buy this movie!

If someone happen to have this movie or the second movie on dvd i would be very happy if you could take some screencaps of the ship:)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back