Need Help: Spiderman Costume

OverCasanova

Hi there,

I am completely new. Literally just signed up on here.

I was looking online today because I want a spiderman costume but I don't like the ones online like Amazon or whatever. I wanna make a custom made realistic looking one..

I came across this Moonspider tutorial of a really nice looking costume, but I didn't really understand what he was saying for what materials to get, and the process of doing it etc..

I've never made anything from scratch with my hands before so this would be the first time..

Is there anyone who can summarize what I need to do initially for the first few steps?

All I understood was that you get a print? But I don't really even understand what that means, and then you get a paint tube type thing that brings out the colour in the material more?

I want one of the Amazing Spiderman costumes that Andrew Garfield wore. I like those the best, and I wanna make it as realistic as possible! :)

Thanks so much!

Check out my amazing Spiderman 2 thread.
at the bottom of the first post is a PDF file and instruction manual that'll help you out a lot.

Check out my amazing Spiderman 2 thread.
at the bottom of the first post is a PDF file and instruction manual that'll help you out a lot.

Thank you so much, that is really kind of you..

I have to be honest though I don't understand the process at all..

What do I even do?

Do I print your design out or something??

What does everyone do?

EDIT:

Sorry, I couldn't find an instruction manual.

Okay thanks I'll try and make sense of that, but can I just ask...

Would it be okay to go on a slip n slide type waterslide with it? lol. Or would that ruin the costume?

What would be the boundaries for what it can do?

Process:
1. Purchase a file of the design you like (or use Ken's free ones).

2. Send the file to Fabric on Demand or another company that can / will print on lycra.

3. Have print sewn up by seamstress.

4. Add shoes, eye frames, etc.

5. Wear costume

You can purchase fully made costumes (ready to wear) in the junkyard or from certain vendors like therpc studio. In any case, when you're talking dye subs, you're looking at roughly $200 (for a used costume) to $800 or more depending on add-ons (face shells, puff paint, 3d webbing).

You should not go on a waterslide if you want to keep your costume in decent condition. The material is lycra, rather thin, and can rip or tear easily. If you want a costume you can just mess around with, get a simple zentai from ebay; you'll save a ton of money.

Last edited:
I got my suit from therpcstudio.com but if that is out of your price range you can go with zentaizone.com They are the only ethical budget company who dont resell pattern files or steal from designers.

Last edited:
I'm new here too. Trying to build a spider-man costume based on ditko or ramos art style. Going for a comic book look. I as wondering if there is a way to get the red and blue parts of the suit separate and get a pattern printed on colored lycra, or will I just have to free hand cut the lycra and get detail airbrushed on it? just need some ideas I now dye-sub is easiest but fades when stretched

I'd recommend Zentai-Zone over Zentai-Zentai.
I just got a custom symbiot spiderman suit (using kenlandrum's pattern; thanks Ken!) from Zentai zone. The color was waaaaay lighter just out of the package. I gave them what I thought were accurate measurements but the suit came back literally skin tight. It's sort of a bummer since their customer service is so good. Do you have any tips for ordering with Zentai zone?

I just got a custom symbiot spiderman suit (using kenlandrum's pattern; thanks Ken!) from Zentai zone. The color was waaaaay lighter just out of the package. I gave them what I thought were accurate measurements but the suit came back literally skin tight. It's sort of a bummer since their customer service is so good. Do you have any tips for ordering with Zentai zone?

To address the lighter color of the print, if you have an instagram, I suggest following "reallifespidey". His work is amazing, he transformed a rather dinky simple zentai into one of the best TASM2 suits i've seen. His method to darken the color of the suit was to use diluted black fabric paint and airbrush it onto the suit. There's a picture on his page. (It's rather far down, it's a picture of his mask unsewn with a piece of fabric under it comparing the difference unpainted and painted.) As for the skin-tight suit, shouldn't it be skin tight? I assume that's how spidey suits should be. If it's uncomfortably tight then I dunno :/

To address the lighter color of the print, if you have an instagram, I suggest following "reallifespidey". His work is amazing, he transformed a rather dinky simple zentai into one of the best TASM2 suits i've seen. His method to darken the color of the suit was to use diluted black fabric paint and airbrush it onto the suit. There's a picture on his page. (It's rather far down, it's a picture of his mask unsewn with a piece of fabric under it comparing the difference unpainted and painted.) As for the skin-tight suit, shouldn't it be skin tight? I assume that's how spidey suits should be. If it's uncomfortably tight then I dunno :/

I'll check out reallifespidey, thanks. I expect to do a certain amount of work on the suit regardless, but it seems like a company would print the right color instead of customers having to take what they get and then doctor it.

Yes and no about the size. Obviously we want it to be snug but what we got back fit just enough to get him in the suit. It's not going to allow a lot of range of motion and there's stress on the seams around the chest. I think my error was assuming a little extra would be calculated in -- like how tailors do with other garments. This is my first time ordering a zentai suit so I'm not totally sure what the norm is. I'm going to go back and re-measure either way, but I wasn't sure if there were any useful tips for measuring or putting in orders with Zentai Zone.

I'll check out reallifespidey, thanks. I expect to do a certain amount of work on the suit regardless, but it seems like a company would print the right color instead of customers having to take what they get and then doctor it.

Yes and no about the size. Obviously we want it to be snug but what we got back fit just enough to get him in the suit. It's not going to allow a lot of range of motion and there's stress on the seams around the chest. I think my error was assuming a little extra would be calculated in -- like how tailors do with other garments. This is my first time ordering a zentai suit so I'm not totally sure what the norm is. I'm going to go back and re-measure either way, but I wasn't sure if there were any useful tips for measuring or putting in orders with Zentai Zone.

When I ordered my suit from ZentaiZone, the size was a little snug and the colors were dark. I learned from my mistakes and changed the way I measured my self and transferred that measurement to the suit. I also cut out the muscle shading to about half of what Ken had his suit on. The second print was a lot better.

I learned not to trust my computer screen when it came to color accuracy and to be aware that there are other elements present when using dye-sub. Overall, I'm happy with ZentaiZone's service and will always go to them for a budget dye-sub build.

When I ordered my suit from ZentaiZone, the size was a little snug and the colors were dark. I learned from my mistakes and changed the way I measured my self and transferred that measurement to the suit. I also cut out the muscle shading to about half of what Ken had his suit on. The second print was a lot better.

I learned not to trust my computer screen when it came to color accuracy and to be aware that there are other elements present when using dye-sub. Overall, I'm happy with ZentaiZone's service and will always go to them for a budget dye-sub build.
I've checked the pattern on multiple monitors and it still looks way darker than what was printed. How much am I supposed to adjust and how can I tell?

In what way did you change the measurement specifically?

EDIT: I have a lot to learn, and I'd like to learn from my mistakes -- I'm just not clear yet on what I should have known to prevent them.

Last edited:
I've checked the pattern on multiple monitors and it still looks way darker than what was printed. How much am I supposed to adjust and how can I tell?

In what way did you change the measurement specifically?

EDIT: I have a lot to learn, and I'd like to learn from my mistakes -- I'm just not clear yet on what I should have known to prevent them.

For the measuring, I at first, took a tape measure and measured from above my nose to above my waist line, just a straight measurement. The print came out a little too small. Then for the corrected measurement, I measure from above my nose, curved the tape around my chin, down my neck, and finally to my waist line. This resulted in a few more inches to be translated to the pattern. Here's an image of what I mean.

measure.jpg

As for the color, it was just trial and error for me. I also viewing my pattern on multiple monitors and still got a suit that was too dark.

For the measuring, I at first, took a tape measure and measured from above my nose to above my waist line, just a straight measurement. The print came out a little too small. Then for the corrected measurement, I measure from above my nose, curved the tape around my chin, down my neck, and finally to my waist line. This resulted in a few more inches to be translated to the pattern. Here's an image of what I mean.

View attachment 460302

As for the color, it was just trial and error for me. I also viewing my pattern on multiple monitors and still got a suit that was too dark.

Thanks! I'll try this for the next print.

Edit: also, what about the width of the shoulders? Any advice there?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back