Need help Mixing Shell shock for the Batmobile.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Ray22

Sr Member
Okay guys I need help I bought some Smooth On Shell Shock to use as a gel coat for the Batmobile and its says mix to 1A :4b by VOLUME Okay part A is 0.60 lbs or (0.27 kgs) and Part B is 3lbs how do I mix this crap LoL, Math wasn't my best subject.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

robn1

Master Member
Mixing by volume is easy, 1 part of one and four parts of the other. You need to measure the physical amount, not the weight. I use epoxy mixing cups from the hobby shop.

I've considered using this stuff myself, I'll be looking to see how you make out with it.

Ray22

Sr Member
Mixing by volume is easy, 1 part of one and four parts of the other. You need to measure the physical amount, not the weight. I use epoxy mixing cups from the hobby shop.

I've considered using this stuff myself, I'll be looking to see how you make out with it.
Okay Robn1 thats what I was thinkging but when I did the math on the amount of resin to catalyst they give you it looks like you would end up short so basically one would be 1 ounce and the other 4 ounces to have the right mix? I quess Lol thanks for clearing it up I will pick p those small mixing cups it will make things easier.

terryr

Sr Member
Weight has nothing to do with it.

It's not oz. Just size. Like 1 spoon to 4 spoons. Or 1 cup to 4 cups.

Ray22

Sr Member
Weight has nothing to do with it.

It's not oz. Just size. Like 1 spoon to 4 spoons. Or 1 cup to 4 cups.
Got it, you know when you over think something that's what I was doing and the brain went into shut down last night, Does not compute Lol so much on my mind trying to complete this model and getting it molded and already thinking of the next project while working on this one. :confused Brain overload Wil Robinson I think I see smoke but thanks for clarifying things guys this is the place to come for answers.

robn1

Master Member
Your math isn't working because you're comparing the weight of the two parts, not the volume. The two have different weights because their mass is different. Volume, how much space they take up, is what matters here.

I've only been working in small amounts, but I use the Great Planes epoxy cups from Hobby Town. They have graduations in different units, ounces, drams, ccs etc. It doesn't matter which you use, just whichever gives you the amount you need. (In this case ounces probably refers to the weight of water. But that doesn't matter, you can use the markings as a volume unit.) If you need a large amount just use the whole cup, 1 cup of A and 4 cups of B.

For my phaser build I'm using EpoxAmite laminating epoxy. It has a mix ratio by weight of 100A:29B, but by volume it's 3A:1B. Working in very small amounts made measuring by weight difficult, so I use volume (I wish all products had mix by volume directions!). I just pour out 3 drams of A and 1 dram of B.