Need Help Identifying Some Parts

MichaelK

Hello all. I'm new here. I read the rules and whatnot, but it's entirely possible I missed something, or I'm posting in the wrong forum, so please feel free to correct me if needed. :)

Long story short: I primarily spend my time playing with toy soldiers and building terrain for toy soldiers. I recently got into a new game and started branching out from the fantasy-style terrain into more sci-fi stuff. I have pictures of other people's stuff that I am trying to copy. I've never looked into sci-fi bits/terrain/modeling/etc. before, so I am coming at the whole kitbashing/modeling/greebles aspect from an oblique angle.

I have some screen caps of greebles and I just can't identify them. I've been at this on-and-off for a few months, and I'm stumped. What's really driving me bonkers is that two of these parts look so familiar that I even know how they're colored, but I have no clue where they're from! :lol:

Can anyone here help me identify these parts? I would appreciate it more than you can imagine!

All of these parts are roughly 1.5" - 2" on the longest dimension. I apologize for not having better resolution; these are literally screen grabs. :)

Any help you could offer is tremendously appreciated!

thing1.jpg
thing2.jpg
thing3.jpg
thing4.jpg

Did I stump everybody on my first time out? :D

I thought for sure somebody would be able to tell me the origin of that “weird pseudo-octagon with the circular grille” part and/or the “dome surrounded by a circle, with three buttons and a bar.”

I swear I’ve seen them on something like a Star Trek prop before. (But I checked and I couldn’t ID them myself....)

Pic #3 round plate with holes looks like a metal thread bobbin.
Someone may have just 3d printed out the designs
It does look like a bobbin...hmm!

That particular piece — unless my memory is completely playing tricks on me — the circular part with holes is brass, the four lines are either brass or silver, and the buttons are also brass or silver. That scheme is why I thought at first it was from a Star Trek TOS prop, but I couldn’t find a match anywhere.

It is possible those are 3D printed, yes. I snagged those screen caps when somebody showed off their resin-cast “greebles sheet” they were using for their terrain builds. I was able to identify a bunch of the other bits on the sheet from various Star Wars models. That’s why I am leaning toward all the parts being from some commercial kit somewhere... I just cannot figure out where. :) The person whose work I am trying to duplicate can’t (or won’t) tell me where all the various bits are from, hence the circuitous route that led me here. :)

Anyway, thank you!

Well, I guess I stumped everyone after all! Or nobody read this, either one! :p

I am going to have to guess my answer is "the guy who had these might have scratch built them, and my memory of seeing them elsewhere is faulty."

I'll live with that, unless and until somebody stumbles across this and tells me I'm wrong. :)

Regardless, thank you to everyone! :)

Pics 3 and 4 really make me think of an air-cooled engine, but I had no luck trying to find a match. Pic 3 is reminiscent of a VW oil sump, but the fins are wrong and too many bolt holes. Perhaps an aircraft engine? It's too bad there's no such thing as a Google image search for 3D objects rather than the picture itself.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back