Need help identifying Banksy helmet

hallam

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So many of you have probably seen the latest Banksy Gross Domestic Product stunt. I am very taken with the police riot helmet glitter ball and would like to make one for me. Unless of course I am able to buy one from Banksy but I think the odds of that are pretty small so I think I will make my own.

So any ideas which model of helmet this might be? It is obviously a found object but is it really a police helmet or a regular motorbike helmet with a police visor added?

https://www.grossdomesticproduct.com/img/01c.jpg

Not planning a run. I just plan to make me some fake art for myself.

It looks like a standard British riot helmet... except that there are probably dozens of variants, with different face shield attachments, liners, etc... Depending on the contract, or what parts have been replaced over it's working life, I think it'd be near impossible to get an exact match without a bit of luck.

That being said, UK riot helmets aren't too hard to come by, so getting a close enough one shouldn't be too hard! I'd be more concerned with finding a disco ball that will fit a helmet!

Best,
James

It looks like a standard British riot helmet... except that there are probably dozens of variants, with different face shield attachments, liners, etc... Depending on the contract, or what parts have been replaced over it's working life, I think it'd be near impossible to get an exact match without a bit of luck.

That being said, UK riot helmets aren't too hard to come by, so getting a close enough one shouldn't be too hard! I'd be more concerned with finding a disco ball that will fit a helmet!

Best,
James

Thanks. I am pretty sure that the disco ball is the helmet. Looks to me like they have just cut up a mirror (or bought the tiles ready cut)

Something like this:

Just have to get the glass grinder out to make the curved edge.

looks like a1970's motorcycle helmet with a face shield mask added to it then put a vinyl sticker that says' "police" on it.
add mirror ball tiles and bang your done.

looks like a1970's motorcycle helmet with a face shield mask added to it then put a vinyl sticker that says' "police" on it.
add mirror ball tiles and bang your done.

Well Banksy did say that the ideas were recycled as well as the stuff!

Will make a video of the assembly.

The "web store" went live today...

GrossDomesticProduct

Pretty decent pic of the helmet if it would help any:

discoball.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back