Need advice from the Ghostbusters experts.

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I’m on the homestretch for my son’s Ghostbusters costume. He’s won first place the last three years at our local mall (250.00 cash!) and he’s counting on me to win again this year. Now, to be fair, before all the das start back slapping me, the competition is REALLY weak. However, I’m the dad that enjoys going over the top.
Suit is spot on.
Heavily modified proton pack (Spirit pack with high end Hasbro wand) got it.
Accurate belt with tools, done.
But I’d like one last thing to complete the win.
I‘ve got the cheap Walmart ghost trap. I’d like him to come on stage holding it up (closed) with a green light inside and it smoking. Then yell, “We came, we saw, we kicked its BUTT! (Yes I know the line but he’s ten. Lol)
Does anybody know a cheap, easy and safe way to accomplish this?

I‘m not going to the Ghost busters Fan website because quite frankly, it’s kind of a train wreck over there.

ANY advice is appreciated.

Well, that’s an option but I was looking for a quick and cheap option. It’s just for a ten year old costume contest. It certainly doesn’t need to be high end.

One of these might work. Only problem is they require manual pumping.

doubt glow sticks would be bright enough unless its done in the dark but dry ice would be my suggestion for the smoke too with maybe some bright led torches and a green film?

might need to arrange a small water bath for the dry ice to make it fog enough - not played with dry ice much so dont know just how easy it is to get the required effect

This fella made a very simple dry ice rig back in the 80's to give his ghost trap a smoking effect. I imagine you could do something similar on the cheap. Link below:

1984 Proton Packs Finished
Photos of the dry ice rig are near the bottom of the page.

the cheapest and the coolest for a smoking trap I ever did was take like 4-6 incense sticks (more if its outside), bundle them together and light them hanging upside down inside the trap. Upside down the incense burns a lot faster and creates a lot of smoke! I did this at MANY events way back to 2000. Only draw back is if it's inside, then you should probably rig a dry ice set up. I don't think mini foggers put out enough "uumph" for a smoking trap. Dry ice and foggers "drop" where real smoke (incense) rises.

You can KINDA see it here, we were in the SD Convention center so we had to do it low key and used 1/2 of what I normally used.

- Jeff
gb1.jpg

Okay, I’m thinking dry ice and a green lamp of some sort. I agree, glow sticks might not be bright enough in a brightly lit mall.

You know, can’t I just rig up something that utilizes one or two of those cheap smokes balls?

Dry ice and some bunched up LED floral lights would be my bet. At places like Spencers Gifts and the kind of tacky home decor places you can find little fog fountains that have some unicorn or waterfall design. you could pick one of those up and just rip out the little fogger. Should cost under $30.

I like 12v green light idea, there's a plug from a USB port to 12v, simple, cheap, and you could run the light off of a USB power bank with a 2.4a USB port on it.
You can get this, and just cut off the car plug and solder to the green light.

<links updated in later post>

Last edited:
You guys are amazing.

If you go with the smoke balls, you might light some of the non-colors that you don't want and see how long it takes the fuse to burn. You can buy a longer fuse and splice onto the existing fuse to give you more time after lighting and before the smoke starts emitting. Do some test runs if you go this route.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back