NCR Ranger Patrol Armor

Aideon

So, after getting back from Dragon*Con and seeing the awesome assortment of non-vault dwellers, I decided that I wanted to add something non vault-y to my Fallout costuming. I never did like the look of the NCR Veteran Rangers, and while I really do like the look of the normal NCR soldiers from New Vegas, my favorite has always been the NCR Rangers. Seriously, those guys have some very fine hats and 'Authority' sunglasses.

ripten-ncr-ranger-armor.jpg

But, in all seriousness, I do love the look of the armor, and I've set out to replicate it using EVA foam. There are currently no Pepakura files, so what I'm doing is blowing screenshots up to life size on my jumbo monitor and making a really basic front/back pattern from there, and just sort of going on luck, hot glue and gusto.

I started this project last night (9-14) and build the ab and chest plate.

2011-09-14_21-52-08_833.jpg

The neck armor was in some pics I had, but not all, so I ditched it. After my wife got home from work, I set out to pattern the shoulder armor.

2011-09-14_23-52-53_586.jpg

2011-09-15_00-06-49_323.jpg

Then I heated it and bent it over a plastic foldgers can (seriously, I have these things everywhere, and they work great for a million purposes other than holding coffee)

2011-09-15_00-13-50_879.jpg

The only problem I ran into is that I was trying to be way too complicated. I was going to cut seperate pieces for every single curve, and I wasn't really using the material for all it was worth. I had to cut a new 'middle' piece and sanded the edges of my existing pieces down to give the the taper I was looking for, and have come up with this:

2011-09-15_14-21-01_250.jpg

I'm still missing the 'lower' shoulder piece, and the raised bit for the NCR logo, but not bad so far.

Total cost at this point?
8 dollars in glue sticks (I only had one in the house)
2 EVA foam mats that I had in the garage
About 4 hours

That is so cool. I always wanted to try to make armor out of foam mats but I am new to this kind of building and am afraid I lack the skills needed. Do you use box cutters to cut the foam? And what is used to carve little details?

Very nice. what don't you like about the Veteran armor? Not for you, or just completely out of place with the rest of the armors? At first I thought the Veterans were a bit out of place until Fallout released that the veterans actually defected from another organization -desert rangers-

So, no more progress made last night. Blame SEC football and the midnight release of Star Wars on bluray. I'll probably knock out the other shoulder today, and possibly start working on the back plate.

To answer questions:

I do cut the pieces out with a box cutter. I tried a hot knife but it just didn't do much.

I carve the details mostly with my Dremel. The sanding wheel for smoothing out the edges, and a small grinding wheel for cleaning up the inside of the slots and adding the rounded edges, as well as the shallower bevel on the lower shoulder. It takes a little getting used to the way the dremel works on the foam, and I wish I had a belt sander so there was a crisp even edge vs the slight imperfections I get with the dremel.

Personally, I just never cared for the look of the Veteran Rangers in the game. I think other people have done an amazing job with their builds, and that is what inspired me to try this.

@Dabiddabird: I thought I lacked the skill as well. It's just about patience, really. Pick a small project and give it a shot. You won't know what you can do until you try it.

So, no more progress made last night. Blame SEC football and the midnight release of Star Wars on bluray. I'll probably knock out the other shoulder today, and possibly start working on the back plate.

To answer questions:

I do cut the pieces out with a box cutter. I tried a hot knife but it just didn't do much.

I carve the details mostly with my Dremel. The sanding wheel for smoothing out the edges, and a small grinding wheel for cleaning up the inside of the slots and adding the rounded edges, as well as the shallower bevel on the lower shoulder. It takes a little getting used to the way the dremel works on the foam, and I wish I had a belt sander so there was a crisp even edge vs the slight imperfections I get with the dremel.

Personally, I just never cared for the look of the Veteran Rangers in the game. I think other people have done an amazing job with their builds, and that is what inspired me to try this.

@Dabiddabird: I thought I lacked the skill as well. It's just about patience, really. Pick a small project and give it a shot. You won't know what you can do until you try it.

Thanks for all the useful info. Keep up the awesome work

So, I was woke up extra early by my CC company, calling to get some info for a dispute on a charge that stemmed from Dragon*Con. So that threw me out of sorts for the morning, and I ended up falling asleep for a good chunk of the middle of the day. That sort of put me behind on the Ranger.

So, I only managed to finish the other shoulder. Back will be tomorrow, probably the belt details as well.

2011-09-16_19-41-42_976.jpg

2011-09-16_19-41-34_525.jpg

2011-09-16_19-41-25_307.jpg

Things I learned today:
Canned air can set hot glue just about instantly. Awesome.

Things I re-learned:
Hot glue hurts.

So, didn't get the legs started. I guess I got really distracted by the extras on the Star Wars bluray. But, I did cut and shape the backplate, and painted the shoulders/chest (it took a whole can for the three pieces!).

2011-09-17_23-22-02_502.jpg

2011-09-17_23-22-09_542.jpg

2011-09-17_23-22-26_271.jpg

Tomorrow I'm doing an event with the 501st, after that JoAnnes and the Salvation Army/Goodwill for brown webbing and Walmart for paint. Hopefully I'll have the chest and back strapped and the shoulders attached, and the backplate painted.

Amazing! I tried making the same thing a couple months ago with the same concept but it didnt look quite right so i scrapped it for another project. Well done!

Sorry about not posting on schedule, RPF. My wife has been working overnights, and I feel like I have to keep the dogs quiet, and watch the front door to keep UPS, the mailman, and various and sundry religious folks from ringing the doorbell and waking her up.

Today, I went and got two bags for all the straps they had on them. Best $5 I've ever spent.

2011-09-21_22-09-47_769.jpg

2011-09-21_22-09-54_735.jpg

I still need to add a strap to the ab plate that runs around my back to keep it from poking out like it is here, and to add the two straps that run from the chest up to the shoulders, but other than that, the top isn't looking bad, if I say so myself.

@DerKrieg: They are 1/2"

It's great to see the work on this Aideon! We'd love to see this over on the Wasteland Outpost as well, as there's a number of people who've expressed interest in doing this same sort of build and would get some great inspiration from your build.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back