Vintage Whaling Gun Build WIP

BornKilr

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Been away for a bit. Just started working on (ie researching and planning) a costume for Halloween/convention later this year. The costume is pretty cool, but from a pretty bad movie, so I felt the need to enhance it a bit with a few additional, but related, props. Since my specialty/interest is weapon replicas, I've started that part first. Although this isn't meant as a weapon in reality, in the context of the costume it will be. So here is a first look. Lets see if anyone recognizes it yet...
harpoon side.jpg

Nope.

As I said, it's actual intended use is not as a weapon. But for my costume, it will be. I'll post another pic soon

That didn't take long.

Well, I was referring to its intended purpose, which to me is hunting/fishing (whaling), and not for intentionally harming or defending, then in my opinion, its not a weapon. Kinda like a fork isn't intended to be a weapon, but can definitely be used as one.

So now I've started on the next part which is the hammer cover. Kind of an unusual shape, so not exactly sure how to start it. If the thunderstorms don't knock out power, plan to start that tonight.

Started blocking in the brass rail and hammer cover (?). Haven't been able to find a lot of reference pics, so I'm gonna have to kinda wing it.
20210725_215254_Film1_resized.jpg
20210725_215242_Film1_resized.jpg

Looking good. Not the same model but it's Bruce Campbell in Lodge 49.
View attachment 1479626
Cool! Haven't seen that. Yeh, hell, I don't even know what model I'm doing. Online pics are scarce, and they all seem to vary slightly so I'm gonna do a mashup. Its just for a costume prop, so perfect accuracy isn't important. Of course, it'll probably end up on my wall afterwards!

A little more progress on the hammer cover and barrel 'rail'. As vintage whaling isn't my forte, I have no idea what these various parts are called, so I just call them as I see them!

A little more refining on the rail and cover, adding a few detail parts, then ready to paint. Just have to find a good brass paint to use.
hammer cover top.jpg
barrell shroud.jpg
hammer cover 1.jpg
hammer cover 2.jpg

Started roughing in the harpoon tip

harpoon tip.jpg

Getting close to finishing. Got base coat of stain on main body and primer on the 'metal' parts.
harpoon side stain.jpg
harp catch.jpg
harp spear.jpg

Last edited:
Looking the part...what kind of paint/finish are you going to apply on the spear?
Well what little info I've found seems like the were made of wrought iron, so probably a dark metallic with areas of rust. Gonna try to make the whole thing look like its actually old. I beat up the wood part with a chain to distress it a bit. May have to do more after second coat of darker stain, depending on how it shows.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back