My Very Easy Method for Spotting Millennium Falcon Differences

What are you talking about ? Of course the movies have been modified several times.

But the lift off scene does seem to be unmodified, the compositing is so crappy there is no doubt it's original.

What am I talking about? Not the changes that were made when the flicks went digital. I am talking about the changes that were made between the time ESB left the screen the first time and then released the first time to VHS or laserdisc as Jaitea points out…oh, and the versions released to TV before the VHS versions came out.

So, when you say “Of course…”, do you mean that even these early changes are common knowledge? ’Cause I didn’t think they were common knowledge, which is why I mentioned them. If I am mistaken in this, then my apologies.

Now as far as the lift off scene being unmodified, I would say that you, Jaitea, and Junk Pilot are probably right, though I am still not 100% convinced because I had very extensive notes and screen caps on it at one time that would even today call it into question. Also, the screen caps I had were not the digital ones we all have access to these days. And they were extremely early. Of course you didn’t know any of this because I said nothing of it before. My bad. But since I no longer have access to this information, I didn’t see the point in bringing it up. And since I can no longer back up my position with this info, then perhaps I should have said nothing at all. Again, my bad. I suppose I was hoping to see some of my old evidence reappear. I am, however, grateful for the digging and analysis done here. Although it has not helped me much, I am sure others will benefit.

Anyone else want to beat up on the old guy? Seems to be open season.

Mark

Sorry if it's coming across like that it's simply this, they both had landing gear so that's not useful info for this thread.
This thread is to highlight the big hard and fast differences :)

Sorry if it's coming across like that it's simply this, they both had landing gear so that's not useful info for this thread.
This thread is to highlight the big hard and fast differences :)

I know spacebob, this thread hasn't gone the way I wanted,.....all this detail about the 32" on Bespin was supposed to be just a mention in my first post,...
but I'll be back on course with my next post,....sorry peoples
J

Just MY two cents,

The first time I saw ANH was in 1977 at a theater in North (sm town out side USN base) chicago on a Fri. Early show before going to Kenosha Wi to get trashed.

Sat threw it twice. BLOWN AWAY. Next night went back. lines around the block. Didn't see it again till the TV release.

I always looked at the inconsistencies in the falcon scene to scene, as Han and chewy continuing to modify the Falcon as needed.

Considering they seem to be shot at by the EEEVVIL empire alot.

"I've done a lot of special modifications myself, but she's got it were it counts" - Han Solo

Love this post. LOTS of good info!

I've always thought this was a pretty good piece of reference for the 5' version;

1979mpcfalconboxlidc32.jpg

here is my interpretation, MPC original issue,..

1979mpcfalconboxlidc32e.jpg

John a question for you if you don't mind.

it seems very clear even from your shots that there is a colour difference between the models, having seen some comments on the various threads that models are painted differently due to scale variations in camera and under lighting, I cannot remember seeing either canon models other than the films or images posted in these threads. . If you have can you comment on this thread on the colour difference, maybe a future entry, thanks for everything so far.

Brian

I think all the versions of the Falcon where "Real" and deserved there fame me personally in a jam I would rather have the falcon that was upgraded and can fly then the prototype that was meant to sit still and look pretty isn't flying what she was meant to do 32" inch baby.... great info :)

What I don't understand is the 32" miniature was built for the agile/active/stunt shots - From what I have read and understand the miniatures were static and never moved - john dykstra's camera's were moved around the model.

Why then would a lighter or smaller miniature be needed?.

Regards.

Dave.

What I don't understand is the 32" miniature was built for the agile/active/stunt shots - From what I have read and understand the miniatures were static and never moved - john dykstra's camera's were moved around the model.

Why then would a lighter or smaller miniature be needed?.

Regards.

Dave.

The camera was moved more often. But for some of the complex shots they were moving both the camera & model at once.

An equally big issue is the sheer size - a smaller model decreases the distance that the cameras have to travel for each pass.

The camera was moved more often. But for some of the complex shots they were moving both the camera & model at once.

An equally big issue is the sheer size - a smaller model decreases the distance that the cameras have to travel for each pass.
Bat guy has it spot on, a lot of the shots the model doesn't move but the camera zooms away and changes orientation. There is great examples of this on the blue ray making of where they show the rapid pull always for tie fighter and speeder bike shots, with the 5 foot falcon even a warehouse wasn't far enough away for the action scenes in empire, so the smaller one was used, lorne Peterson confirms the use of the 5 footer on the Bespin landing platform in his book sculpting the galaxy , more than likely the falcon take off was an additional shot so they used the newer falcon , maybe the 5 footer was in use .

Nice comparisation photos thank you!

2 completely different models. I just wished someone made a big enough accurate ANH model to appreciate the details, I just find these new companies model kits are way to small for my taste, besides the Slave I from Fine molds which has a great size the other models are way too small.

GFollano

Last edited:
Ok,.. This is just something I thought of while watching old Star Treck shows but the same thing could apply to the Falcon.:confused

Bear with me ,..We are talking about PRETEND reality here SOOOooo,.. Their are three versions of the Enterprise, and two versions of the Falcon.

But only ONE in each pretend universe. Star Trek used footage from all 3 versions through out each show. Star Wars did the same for the Falcon.

So you see the ships in slightly different physical configurations throughout.

Soo what new tech that has never been brought up before do the BOTH use???

BOTH ships have the ability to re configure the hulls on the fly as needed. This accounts for the different physical appearance through out the movie / show.

Stealth transformation.:lol

Comments?:cheers

Nice comparisation photos thank you!

2 completely different models. I just wished someone made a big enough accurate ANH model to appreciate the details, I just find these new companies model kits are way to small for my taste, besides the Slave I from Fine molds which has a great size the other models are way too small.

GFollano

Yep......could you imagine a 1/72 or,......a 1/48?

Come to think of it,.....if Hasbro release another Hero toy for TFA......that would be nice!!!....the last one workout at 1/48

Stealth transformation.:lol

You might be on to something......TARDIS technology

J

Come to think of it,.....if Hasbro release another Hero toy for TFA......that would be nice!!!....the last one workout at 1/48

J

I will certainly do a realy big one someday if I can :$

J

"it's bigger on the inside" which account for the discrepancy in the Falcon interior not matching the exterior.

:lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back