My Vader pics

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by DARTH ANIBAL, Jan 4, 2006.

1. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Sr Member

Not trying to steal away any of avaron's thunder (nice work, by the way), but I just wanted to post some of my pics and get some feedback as well (CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, please). Before the link, I'll tell you what you'll be looking at when you get there. The 1st 4 pics are from the Ep. III premiere. This was my first outing in costume. The 2 after those are from the DVD release with my lady and my son. The "helmet-off" and "helmet-on" pics are my 501st submission pics, these are the most recent. I value all your opinions because I know there's alot of talent here on these boards. :thumbsup Just thought I'd also mention that the chestbox I'm wearing on the Ep.III premiere pics is completely home made (if you can make out the aurabesh under the coin slots it says "home made Vader"). I scrapped that for my current chestbox, but I kept my belt (also home made, though I'm thinking of redoing now that I have more experience) and my codpiece ( also home made). Here's the link:

http://gameworldweb.com/DarthAni%20Web/index.htm

Thanks for your input. :)

2. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

Great job darth, i am impressed welcome to forum and good luck with the 501.

3. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Looking good. Now, you need to start replacing things one piece at a time.... :)

4. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Sweet suit.

5. MacFarc

MacFarc New Member

Looking Good....

6. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

Cool, love the little Yoda there too

7. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Nice work :thumbsup

8. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Nice job. :)

9. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Impressive... most impressive. :)

10. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

That's a great home built suit. Now to nitpick.:p I would have removed that metal nose piece on the helmet as it really does look odd when you did so much good modding to it. Is that a GT chest armor set? I would drop the shoulder bells down a bit on it, if you can.

Looks like you are on the right track for an RotJ suit though. You will find plenty of folks here to offer up advice and things to change if you are shooting for accuracy. Right now, the suit is great and the only ones who would be able to pick out the differences would be us geeks.

11. darth_manu

darth_manu Well-Known Member

excellent job on the rubies helmet if thats what it is

12. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Sr Member

Thanks for the input everyone. Qui-Gonzalez, Yes, it's GT armor. I wanted a very imposing silhouette, so I maybe got a little carried away with how high up I set the shoulder bells. I see what you mean though, I think I will drop them a bit :) The nose piece, I kind of painted myself into a corner on that one. I never covered up the little hole that it goes in, so I just popped it back in after the face was all painted. Anybody have a suggestion on how to do this now and paint that inside part silver WITHOUT having to redo the whole face? I am going for a certain degree of accuracy, but I'm only 6'4" in full gear, so I won't be heartbroken if I'm not spot-on, screen-capture accurate. I also am using this for trooping, not display, so it's function over form. This was my first try ever at doing anything like this, so now that I've got it all put together, I'm going back and trying to fix all the little details I may have missed. I've also gained some more experience and confidence, so I think if I had to start all over again, I could do a better job. That's why I'm probably going back and redoing the belt. Anyways, please keep the feedback and nitpicking going, I do appreciate it. :thumbsup

By the way, the little Yoda is my son. And yes, that is the Rubies' which I think is an EXCELLENT project helmet. I like how sharp the facial features are as opposed to the DP Classic Action.

13. Qui-Gonzalez

The problem with going back and redoing the belt is you will then have to redo the cod. Big ole can of worms there. If nothing else on the belt, the belt boxes need to be taken in a bit. They are a bit too long. You will find some great ball park measurements here for belt boxes and buckles.

Comeon all you trooping Vaders, help the guy out. He asked for "nitpicky".

14. Qui-Gonzalez

Had an idea for fixing that nose. You could bondo/putty up that hole and brush in the silver color. It's a nice, small enough area that detail brushing wouldn't hurt.

15. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Sr Member

What kind of paint would you recommend? As for the putty, should I go with auto-body type stuff or craft quality putty?

16. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Pretty * nice. Your boots look a little thick. And I feel those pics aren't a good set to truley tell you how good the costume is. From what I can tell it looks AWESOME. I'd like to see it up against a very light background.

17. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

The auto body putty worked excellent for me. I would surely recommend it.

18. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Very nice Vader....the modifications you made are very good. The way you carry it off is also really good...that's 50% of a good Vader and you've got that 50%. :) :thumbsup
    Of course now comes the obsession with making constant improvements ;).

:cheers,

Thomas

19. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Thomas,

A very true statement. It has been an obsession with me and continues to grow even more so. I find myself constantly thinking about ways to improve my costume.... then I look in my wallet and quickly remember my limitations. :cry

20. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

A very true statement. It has been an obsession with me and continues to grow even more so. I find myself constantly thinking about ways to improve my costume.... then I look in my wallet and quickly remember my limitations. :cry
    [snapback]1152861[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

Good point but it dosen't hurt to take parts of your favorite vaders from ANH to ROTJ and mix and match them as well :D what ever makes you happy. As for me i want to make an ANH reveled helmet.

21. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Sr Member

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. It really is good to hear from people who have spent a long time in this hobby and know what they're talking about. Yes, I am pretty much obsessed with the constant improvements. The man I once was, "gone he is, consumed by Darth Vader".

Hey, Qui-Gonzalez. I was actually going for ESB Vader, what about the costume makes it look ROTJ? Did I miss something?

22. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Looks great, nice job.

:thumbsup

23. Qui-Gonzalez

Cape hook...I am petty. I totally missed the middle button between the switches.

24. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Sr Member

Visible cape hook, hmmm, very good. I'll just pretend like I'm somewhere-between-Episodes-5-and-6-Vader. I still have to finish modding my chestbox to ESB "specs". Good observation, though. :)

25. Qui-Gonzalez

Like someone else posted...make the suit to make YOU happy. Kids and fans who see it won't be as nitpicky as we are here over the tiny details. That kind of enjoyment is worth it to me.

26. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I agree. As long as you are happy, who cares? You're the one who has to wear and own the suit.

27. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Sr Member

I couldn't agree with you more. My whole reason for wanting to join the 501st is to have a way to get out to events where kids are involved because the reaction you get from them is PRICELESS. I'm 29, but I'm still a big kid myself, and I have fun just being able to costume as Vader. When you add on the fact that you can make a kid's day, or just for that moment, make them believe the unbelievable, that's the pay-off to all the hard work I've put into my costume... :cry

:$ Sorry to get all mushy about it like that, just thought I'd share my motivation with you all (read my sig).

28. JDFett

JDFett Active Member

another option for the hole if you have not fix it yet is either pc-7 epoxy or another real good option i found at HD...it was called platix i think...i comes in a small roll...you cut off what you need and then knead it to mix the two compounds...its like a putty and its made specifically for abs and other hard plastics. i used it on my rubies vader helmet

29. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Good point but it dosen't hurt to take parts of your favorite vaders from ANH to ROTJ and mix and match them as well :D what ever makes you happy. As for me i want to make an ANH reveled helmet.
    [snapback]1152901[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

Excellent Point.............you make it however you like it................it's yours and you are spending your money on it. If you want to mix and match, there is nothing saying you can't. I agree that there are parts of each version that are somewhat appealing. I've seen several mixed and matched and they look good.
    Of course, I will never get over my first love: The ANH Vader :love :love :love

30. darthinwah

darthinwah New Member

great work. Can't wait to build my mannequin.

31. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

Darth, how does you wife/partner feel about your star wars/vader hobby. My girl can't believe i've taken a mask (rubies) wirth £70 british pounds (nearly $100) and am now taking it apart etc etc. Is she quite supportive (i can guess the fact she dresses up to suggests she is :thumbsup

32. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Sr Member

She's been very supportive considering the fact that she's not into SW at all. She really didn't understand why I was going through all the trouble I did while I was working on everything. Once it was all put together though, she was really impressed and proud of what I had been able to accomplish. She even went to watch Ep. 3 with me a week after the premiere, and she liked it. As a matter of fact, she kept the copy of the DVD I'm holding in the pic. That particular picture was for a costume contest that we thought we'd enter as a family. I love my princess. :love

...sorry to get all mushy again.