My Vacuum forming table and my easy heating solution

XRobots

Hi all, I built a vacuum forming table some time ago which I've used for various projects. I'd never actually shown any pictures of the table before, so I decided to make a YouTube video all about it.

Of specific interest is probably the way I heat the plastic, which is quite easy to reproduce safely and cheaply.

Here's the video: YouTube - my vacuum forming machine & easy heating solution

Skip to about 3:35 if you just want to know about the heater part - I also demo the table at the end.

Thank you for this. I was going to go with the know and wire heating element. But this looks so much simpler. Have you tried heating 3mm sintra (ABS)?

I had been tossing around ideas in my head on how I was going to make one, but I think I might roll with your idea!

That heater setup idea is extremely tempting to try.

I started building a small size former for a project back in april but haven't finished yet. Made a 12"x12" box on top of which I could use frames for 12x12, 8x8, and 6x6 pieces of plastic so that the usual 48x96 sheets are easily divided into whatever is needed. At the time I thought I'd make an adapter for the oven to fit the various frames but now I'll probably go your way.

Thanks for sharing!

Liked and subscribed! This is one of those threads that we really need a rating system for. Thanks for sharing your ideas. I have wanted to make a vacuum form table for a long time, but the idea of the ceramic posts and live wire made me very nervous. I could imagine killing myself very easily. I will definitely try this out. :thumbsup

Thank you for this. I was going to go with the know and wire heating element. But this looks so much simpler. Have you tried heating 3mm sintra (ABS)?

Hi Rick, I've not actually tried any other plastic than 2mm HIPS, mainly because I bulk bought it the right size when I made the table, but I'm pretty sure it'll work with almost anything, it might take a bit longer to soften, but there's definitely enough heat.

Thanks for the other comments, I have some other videos in my channel also - I'm basically doing a brain dump to YouTube over the next few weeks, so there'll be more along soon.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back