My TOS Viper Squadron project

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Chrisisall, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Hi guys, I'm now working on a group of six Vipers from the Revell kits, at least one will be part of a diorama with a Cylon Raider...

Taking the ridge off the intakes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just the beginning here, updates to follow for TOSBSG fans!:cool
    Estimated time to completion of first Viper: three weeks from today- we'll see if I can make it so.

2. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

Can't wait to see it. I've got one of those kits that I've never posted anything on. I did my own paint scheme. Looking forward to your updates.

3. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

This will be fun to watch. I have a few vipers in storage that I'm looking forward to building soon. I want to try some slightly different paint variations on them so that they all don't come out looking identical. I have the ones with the solid canapy-- I haven't decided if I want to bash them and install cockpits or not. I hope you document each step! I'm already learning something-- I didn't realize the ridge on the intakes were innacurate!

4. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I'm ripping through the easy, crude stuff now (getting rid of the intake ridge is SO time consuming...).
    The nose 'torpedo hole' has to go. On my last Viper, I cleaned it out & left if open. This time I'll add a greeble of some kind later. Some folks have put in a mesh, but I just don't see it on mine.
    [​IMG]

Gotta thrash the little triangles on the guns- not only are they too thin, they aren't hollow in their centers, & they are 90 degrees off. More on that later.
    [​IMG]

The greeble in the middle of the pipes is toast (I don't know where the sculptor got it from; it's not in any pic I've seen), as are the pipes themselves. They were totally toy-looking. Styrene tubes will replace them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I assembled the pilots (except their heads, the faces need some plastic surgery) but haven't glued them in yet- painting must ensue first.
    [​IMG]

This is going too slow... I need caffeine!:lol

5. Griffworks

Griffworks Well-Known Member

This is gonna be way kewel! :thumbsup

A company called Fireball Models has very nicely done replacement lasers for your Vipers. I purchased two sets directly from him a couple years back for a Viper diorama I'd thought to build, but never got around to. They're not in stock right now, but they're for listed in the Starship Modeler Store: Colonial Viper Replacement Cannons.

6. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I haven't even begun with all the necessary mods to make these Revell kits accurate!:lol The guns are easy...

7. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

When it comes to something like this, IU don't sweat it to much, still I'm looking forward to your build.

8. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I carved on the exhausts.
    [​IMG]

Now, the wing-to-gun bits are too thin... attending to that here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I see putty-N-sand in my future...:cry

9. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

* you Chrisisall no wonder I cant find a Viper you bought them all!!:lol
    Cool stuff......one at a time....and yea lots of putty and sanding!

10. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Nice work mate. I have on it's way the cockpit interior and launch ramp for my Monogram kit. Looking forward to your build finally after teasing us with bits of viper all over your * shuttle build.

11. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

LOL, there's ones on eBay RIGHT NOW!!:love

12. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

What references are you using for all of your modifications? Are you going off the studio models, or the full-size mock-ups seen with the actors in the hanger bays and when they (every week!) crash-landed on a planet?

13. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

14. Captain Han Solo

Captain Han Solo Sr Member

Wow!!!

Really???
    Excellent!!!

15. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

In DESIGN, not SIZE you silly!:facepalm:lol

16. Captain Han Solo

still excellent!!!!!!!

17. Griffworks

Griffworks Well-Known Member

Nice work on the wings! I never really researched just how full of inaccuracies the original kit is, but knew it had a lot of issues. That looks to be a pretty kewel way to get those wings worked out. (y)

18. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

After sanding, it's just about right. Now 11 more.

[​IMG]

19. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I finished the wing mods on all of 'em, & I just got done drilling 180 tiny holes on all the little thingies on the side parts with an exacto knife I broke the very end off of for the job...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Someone pass me an Advill...:facepalm

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  20. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Here have the bottle, looks like you need it!
    [​IMG]

21. Galactifan

Galactifan Sr Member

It's coming along nicely!

22. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I used it all up! Thanks.

Well, I hadda go back & reshape my wing addition bits; it's my way- I keep comparing to reference & adjusting. Some concessions have to be made, but these will be my most accurate Vipers ever. The kit has a few angles & proportions wrong, but short of tossing it all out & going from scratch, it's what I'm working with. If I can hit a percentage of accuracy in the higher 90's, that'll be great.

[​IMG]

23. ObiDon

ObiDon New Member

I love what you're doing. I have one of these kits and I'm excited to see what you do next.

Don

24. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I took a break yesterday to paint up my WOK Enterprise AA toy, starting on them again tonight; more pix tomorrow evening!!
    That's mostly what you see at my house, Vipers & Enterprises... :confused

25. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Tedium watch: 48 (+2 in case) styrene rods of proper thickness cut & hairdryer-ed to 90 degree angles for installation on the cleared areas on the sides of the 6 Vipers. I averaged a minute per rod, not including time for breaks to go embarrass myself on the John Carter thread...

[​IMG]

I must be nuts...

26. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Looks like you had some help from B9, bet he comes in handy :)

27. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

LOL, I got that one for the tiny help, a middle range one for clear parts, a big one for holding stuff while drying- all interconnected by a positronic mainframe that allows interconnected time share intelli......\
    Ah, it was there so I shoved him in the picture.:rolleyes

28. Troy Downen

Troy Downen Active Member

What is your primary reference for accuracy? Not having done much research into the Viper, I am not sure what references are considered "accurate" to the studio models.

29. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

30. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

This thread is like the window of a Victorian sweet shop on Christmas Eve.....so much eye candy on display and the promise of so much more to come! I love the vipers from the original series. Wouldn't it be cool to build one big enough to fit an Action Man / GI Joe......Hmmmmmmm

31. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Wow, at that size they'd be a little hard to hold with one hand to zoom around with...:rolleyes

32. Captain Han Solo

Hey Chris!!!

Love seeing your work mate!!

I am really looking forward to seeing your Vipers! Your courage and determination in ths project is to be praised!

33. Troy Downen

Troy Downen Active Member

34. robn1

robn1 Master Member

35. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Rob!!! Thanks- there are some pix there I'd NEVER seen B4!!!!
    And they confirm some of my earlier choices with the models I've made in the past... plus given me a new idea or two as I'm working on these.
    Most of my work is based on original miniature #7 (though until NOW I didn't know a # reference for it)- the most commonly seen piloted Viper IMO.
    #20 is the most highly detailed, yet most of that detail was washed out in the optical process, so my choices have left out that detail in favour of 7 (mostly in terms of panel lines).
    My research continue now....
    You rock man, thanks!!(y)love

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  36. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I'm sure those numbers refer to the pictures, not the models.

37. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

You're right- in my exuberance I rush to stuff. I've been to BYC before, but I've never seen a plethora of Viper pics like this before there. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place...
    In any case, you've just been of more help to me with these builds than you can know. Nothing huge, but a lot of small details to adjust in small degrees. And that makes all the difference. :cheers

38. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Yeah I haven't looked there in a while, there's some pics there new to me too!

39. MwNN

MwNN Member

I'm looking forward to seeing what you're up to!
    I love your WIP's. Vipers are my faves!

40. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Doin' some heavy research... new pics brought to my attention by Robn1 halted me for a moment to check; sure enough, I spotted 2 areas that needed adjusting before proceeding. I need to get everything as right as I can. This is my favourite fighter of all time.
    (sorry, X-Wing):lol

41. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Hey bud, don't blame me for your extra work :lol

42. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I know I'm going slow on these, but if I work when inspired (as opposed to doing it just to do it) I find it comes out a whole lot better...

I just finished putting the 12 scratched greebles on the 6 exhausts, and the 48 pieces on the 12 guns.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When all solid, I'll putty some & sand/file to the proper finished shape(s).

...in memory of Kennyd...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  43. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

1st filing assault on the guns:

[​IMG]

2nd & final go at them will be easier & more subtle. I'm good at subtle.:lol

44. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Looking Great!!!! It's good to have threads that capture your imagination :)

45. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Thanks!
    Here's some new pix:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Working on six at the same time slows progress some...:rolleyes

46. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Chris, you are leaving my build in the dust, Dude......AWESOME work!
    I wanna Viper! :cry

47. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey! When did Cloudster come back up?! :lol

48. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can't wait to see the finshed pics of the squadron!

Too cool for school!!! :thumbsup

49. Captain Han Solo

Looking forward to seeing thes Vipers completed!!

50. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

If I go by the book, like Lt. Saavik, weeks could seem like months...

Never before have I put into play this number of simultaneous builds combined with an attempt at your level of detail, sir.
    We shall see.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012