My take on the NX refit (WIP)

thanks feek.

Today I decided to work on the deflector array.

I laminated 3 sheets of 1/8" blasa, then used the compass to create rings.
the rings are 1/4" thick around so I have extra room to sand down circular. i sliced the piece off from the strip and then nipped off the corners so its easier to sand into a circle.

once i had a rough circular shape, I cut out the center so I could fit it onto a wooden pencil, then put the pencil into the chuck of my cordless drill. I then spun the drill at a low speed over a sheet of 180-220 grit sandpaper. once I had the right thickness/circumference I applied a reasonable amount of putty while the drill turned and let dry.

Once the ring was dry, I sanded it smooth with 220 and mounted it on a piece of 1/32" balsa

here is where I'm at

DSC02072.jpg

DSC02073.jpg

What an interesting take on this design.

Question: why balsa and not styrene? I'm doing my first scratch build and picked styrene because having wood and plastic in the same model make me nervous (dissimilar materials, reactions to heat and humidity and all).

What an interesting take on this design.

Question: why balsa and not styrene? I'm doing my first scratch build and picked styrene because having wood and plastic in the same model make me nervous (dissimilar materials, reactions to heat and humidity and all).

easy answer? cost and workability.

a strip of 1/8" styrene costs me $7.50, while balsa costs me $1.50

I've been working on an interior of the cargo bays using MS paint.

CARGOBAYS.png

Still tweaking though.

it will eventually be laser printed on cardstock

here is the mockup in place

DSC02087.jpg

Hi all,

While I wait for my components to arrive, I decided to clean up the artwork I did previously.

for those who havent seen it yet, meet the Mark IV....
MARKIVREFIT-1.png

Last edited:
Brando, Holy Fraking Feltercarb! this is an awesome build. I am glad the e-mail helped. To be honest, this is the first time I had the opportunity to check out your thread. I have another idea that I will e-mail you tonight. Great job and keep me posted.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back