My Stormtrooper Scratch Build

Azurial

Well I have decided while i wait for the funding to come in to finish my Iron Man suits, I am going to be starting a scratch build Storm Trooper helmet. If this is successful, I am going to do one or two more for some custom contests. Now down to business, I have only taken the pictures of the templates i have drawn on the insides of a Motherboard box, and its a perfect size as my head is smaller than most peoples' (6.5"x8"x7.5 - width, length, height, respectively), so this helmet will be a tad smaller than something screen accurate.

so any way, i will be cutting out the templates later tonight, but i wanted to make sure that the shapes are about right, as this is my first. what do you guys think? never mind the small sketches on the on side and around the bottom marks - they're just kibble.

Last edited:
thanks :D i am afterall following a similar process to yours :D is the shape about right? I've only just cut out the plate section that gives the round shape around the outside of the helemt

thanks :D i am afterall following a similar process to yours :D is the shape about right? I've only just cut out the plate section that gives the round shape around the outside of the helemt

I would start by using this as your bible. Spacecowboy did an awesome job on it and this is the one I used.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll249/Hahns_off/Stormtrooper Helmet/Helmet-1.jpg

The other concern I have is that your helmet will be too small to put on, as 12" x 12" x 12" is really about the minimum size that you will get over your head, and even then, you kinda have to put it on sideways and then turn it to the front. Believe me, these may seem like little things now, but when you have invested a hundred hours in something and then realise it won't fit, or it's the wrong shape....it's a bummer and then some!
Just get a photocopy done of each of the six views and it will cost you pennies in comparison to the hours you will put in. I paid 50 pence per copy, so 3GBP. WHICH IS $4.94. you could then even cut them out and glue them to the card if you really want accuracy!
Hope that helps :)

thanks! as for the size, the dimensions listed are actual mesurments of my head and im going about an inch all around further out.

I'm not too concerned if it fits or not, but if it does all the better :D but here are some pics of the skeleton which is about 11" wide at the bottom, and 11" wide from the bottom to top. the last 2 pics are taken with a ruler to show scale.

EDIT: the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L455-S5975 if that helps anyone further with scale

I'm not too concerned if it fits or not, but if it does all the better :D but here are some pics of the skeleton which is about 11" wide at the bottom, and 11" wide from the bottom to top. the last 2 pics are taken with a ruler to show scale.

EDIT: the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L455-S5975 if that helps anyone further with scale

Great start! Looking forward to your next update!:)

You dont have to wait long! here is the start of the shaping, i've only just finished the dome part, im planning on spraying it down with some spray on glue, and layering some printer paper before going to papermache. Im hoping that this will give it a solid base, and absorb some of the runoff of the mixture when i get around to it.

Well gang, here's another update. did a bit more work before bed last night and now im up and fresh as a daisy! Im hoping to get the bulk of the shaping done today, and maybe start on the paper mache.

I added more bracing to the top-rear part of the dome, and added in the eye area, mouth part and set in the center parts of the face.

EDIT: Added a pic of the cut out that served as the left to right template. As you can see in the last pic there is about 1.5" in the gap between my head and what will be the inside of the helmet

Last edited:
Update time!

Been a while since i did any work on the helmet, so here are a couple of pics to show what I was able to do tonight. just one more toilet paper tube and i will have the basic frame down then i can start work on the shaping fins and paper mache :D

i had to move the eye holes because they were too big where they sat. I also added a spacer at the end of the mouth peice.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back