My Non-Spoiler Free Review For "predators" (2010)

Zeeboe

NOTE - This is actually my partial review. My original review is longer, but I cropped it down.

The two biggest reasons why I enjoyed this film was because first, every human character was so intriguing that they could totally have their own spin-off film that focuses on them which is something I rarely say or type about an entire cast. Second, the alien Predators were not the *only* predators in this film, which I thought was a cool twist. Truly, the title of this film could be applied to both the alien characters AND the human characters.

For the most part, I love and appreciate the villains in films more then the heroes and I think the villains are more entertaining. Reasons being is because villains are totally unpredictable! You never know what they are going to say or do next. And because most villains are selfish characters, they will do ANYTHING to accomplish whatever their goal is, and not care what it takes. So when you have a film with a bunch of very well written villains together, played by good actors, mixed in with cool anti-hero characters who are also well written and wonderfully acted, it's bound to be an entertaining and fun film.

The development of morality is something that is completely necessary for societies to function. The fact is, every single person out there is dependent on thousands of other people for the products and services and things that we rely upon every single day. At the beginning of civilization, it started off with small groups such as tribes taking care of each other and it slowly coalesced and turned into a nation. If we didn't band together that way, the human race wouldn't have survived.

In the case with the human characters in "Predators", they only worked together for that very reason I stated above. i.e. They only helped each other only when they had to, and were really helping each other for their own selfish means, but anyone one of them would have been happy to kill the other to gain an advantage or if they became a parasite.

I mean, Adrien Brody's character "Royce" is suppose to be the "hero" of the film and twice, he uses his fellow humans as bait. Dutch would never do something like that. When Poncho hurt himself, Dutch helped him. Royce would have left him, or used him to lure the Predators.

The fact that Royce is suppose to be the head "good guy" and would do something like tells you what kind of people the characters all are. Royce was just the lesser of many evil's, and the other characters were so violent and crazy, Royce just seems like a good guy, but in any other film, he'd be a villain. He's just a little bit like Paul Reiser's character "Carter Burke" in "Aliens" with the way he just leaves people in trouble or uses them. But again, the fact that all these characters in "Predator" are bad people is what makes it entertaining and different.

The characters in the film later come across a man named Noland who is played by Laurence Fishburne and he totally steals the show too! Noland has been trapped on this planet for a little too long, and he is OUT OF HIS MIND! Fishburne has the best performance and out of ALL the characters, I can honestly type that Noland made me feel the most uneasy, and given the types of characters in this film, that's saying a lot! Fishburne is just freaking brilliant and really makes you forget that this is just a film you're watching. He gives me goosebumps. He is just that scary.

I am pushing 30-years old as I type this, and have seen all kinds of dangerous and crazy characters in films, and for some reason, Fishburne's character in this film really had an affect on me. I guess because we are essentially seeing what can happen to a person if they are stuck on that planet for too long, and it really speaks volumes for the type of hellhole the planet is and what it can turn you into.

Of course, Noland could have already been a bit crazy even before landing on the planet, and him being trapped with alien Predators just made him more insane and dangerous, but to me that is one of the many appeals about the film is that the characters are all very interesting and mysterious.

There are no good guys in this film! No characters with morals! I kid you not! It's just a group of violent, crazy, and selfish human predators working together and trying to escape from alien predators. This is one of those types of films that would really suck to be trapped in! Think HBO's "Oz" meets "Predator".

There is one hero in there. Classic pred. but he unfortunately gets his head chopped off. :p

If you want, you could almost call Isabelle a hero. sure she has her sins, but she is pretty lawful and shows the most empathy/sympathy for the group.

Good point, and that brings up another cool thing that I enjoyed about this film is that it had some more extreme characters who were quick to anger and violence that would show a random act of kindness, just to show the audience that they are people too, but then later on.....they do something totally shocking, selfish, and violent! To remind the audience that they are still dangerous people. Then the film has more quiet and passive characters who are slow to anger and violence and appear to be caring and unselfish, but then they will shock you when they become violent to remind the audience again - That these are dangerous people. You wouldn't desire to run into any of these guys down a dark alley!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back