My Marty McFly progression

brokenhyperlink

Hey guys,

So some of you might have heard that I was gonna be doing Marty McFly as I was going to London Film and Comic Con as my 18th Birthday present as well as about 500 other people no doubt :p. So to stand out, I wanna make mines as close to the film as I can.

So it probably started when I first properly watched the film a few years back. Every time it was on we always missed it and I always seen the last 10 minutes or so especially for the 3rd one. So I sat down as properly watched it and I was immediately hooked. I had heard of it prior to my proper viewing but I was maybe around 10 and didn't know what streaming films and all was. Since then, Marty McFly has been on my list since then. Then maybe around 3 years ago, I heard about Q-Con (a convention at Queens University Belfast) and I was mistified by it. Everyone dressing up as your favourite characters and I couldn't wait to go! The following year I didn't have a cosplay and I wanted to make my first convention rememberable so I wait until the following year to go (But then MCM Belfast happened. It was alright I guess) My first time there was last year in June and I seen a Marty McFly. Their costume was pretty good. I was able to tell who they were but wasn't too accurate.

The fact that I'm a perfectionist kills me because if I don't get something right, I will keep trying and get more and more annoyed and end up crying like most cosplayers and leaving it for about a month or I pick a cosplay which is pretty easy to do but has a lot of pieces to it. Or in Marty's case, it's easy to make if you're not going for screen accurate but will break your bank if you go for screen accurate (at least in my case) and I am living on EMA money to make cosplays (£60 every 2 weeks - £1 every hour I'm in school. Pretty bad when you think about it). So here is my attempt at making my cosplay for Marty McFly for Showmaster's London Film and Comic Con
Head
Wig
I order a wig from an Ebay seller who I heard had really good wigs for really cheap. Don't worry, it doesn't look like this in real life. I haven't styled it yet but shouldn't be too hard. Marty has quite a distinct hair style but with some magical hair products called Got2b, that hair style will not go any where. The colour was the closest one I could find on their shop and Ebay in general. It is all quite dense which is good because I don't want any parts showing that aren't meant to be.
View attachment 480354View attachment 480355View attachment 480356
Glasses
For those famous glasses that Marty only wears for a few seconds in the film, I got these cheap black ones. For the bridge, I was just gonna use what ever Sculpey I had left from other cosplays I'm currently making
IMG_CALIFORNIA_HIGH_AVIATORS_Black_1__4_1.jpg

Torso
Red Tee
I had a lot of red tees in my wardrobe. It's somewhere in there but it's basically the burgundy colour of Fruit of the Loom I ordered of Amazon
Promotional-Clothing-t-shirts-fruit-of-the-loom-super-premium-burgundy.jpg
Shirt
I had read on this forum that the user Risu had made the pattern on Spoonflower and it cost me £20 to get sent to the UK for a yard of it. Quite pricy but far better than paying £160 on Ebay!
http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/130468
Braces
Just a simple black pair of braces of Ebay for really cheap
Black-Suspenders.jpg
Demin Jacket
Now here is where I'm running into trouble. When first buying everything, I was just gonna order 2 different coloured jeans off Ebay but with after a while of searching, it was hard to find the correct colours. When I found one that was good, I ordered it and when I recieved it, it was a completely different colour and now I can't be bothered to make it. I was just going to order one but they are around £150 :S I'm on a tight buget and trying to get this is super difficult. Anyone know where I could get one for cheaper?
Badges
I have the Art in Revolution badge and Fender badge of Ebay and I'm probably just gonna make the Blue Boomerang out of cardboard or Sculpey. I've seen it on Etsy but £10 for the pin and that's not including p&p yet. The Fender one I was able to go just over £10 because I wouldn't be able to make that.
Back-To-The-Future-Marty-s-Art-In-Revolution-Jacket-Pin-1.jpgfender-guitar-jewelry-black-gold-p-bass-tack-pin-099-6000-000-precision-bass_1570729.JPG
Bodywarmer
I'm actually really suprised by this myself. I had saved the search for the bodywarmer so every few days I got an email from Ebay about Class 5 bodywarmers. Most were just the ones that builders would wear and one licenced one which was a bid starting at £100. It was a little to pricy and I didn't want to risk having to paying maybe £120 once the bid had ended. BUUUUUUUUUT eventually the price was brought down and I was the only one to bid on it so I got it for £70!
mezZL5liFCq4RTgdAOnsPNA.jpg
Watch
I got this watch of Ebay as well. It is a Casio CA-53W-1 calculator watch which I think is the actual one, if not very similar
Casio-CA53W-1.jpg

Legs and Feet
Trunks
I just got a purple pair of Ebay because I couldn't find any ones similar to it. It's the small details ;)
china-calvin-underwear-wholesaler-155005.jpg
Trousers
So I'm just gonna look in chariety shops to find a pair that are close to Marty's because I'm having not hope with finding any on Ebay
Shoes
From what I've seen it's really hard to find the shoes Marty wears without breaking a bank if you can even find them to begin with. So on Ebay I found the next best thing. Orange/Red Nike Court Tour, just a matter of colouring the tick and painting the red stripe at the back white
nike-whitered-nike-court-tour-mens-trainers-product-1-4841434-689839440_large_flex.jpeg

Miscellaneous
Red Velcro Wallet
I have no idea where the whole red wallet thing came from but people often seem to use it.
LE94235-Nylon-Wallet-with-Velcro-fastening-RED.jpg

Paper Props
I have a bunch of paper props from the paper props thread on here which I won't be printing until closer to the time so I'm not wasting paper and they won't be getting damaged or lost
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=67267

If there are any parts I've forgotten please let me know. There are some things I wish to get in the future (hurhurhur) but are not necessary for right now.
Stay pixelated glitches!

Attachments

• $_35.JPG
    $_35.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Also I'm just going to make my wishlist here because why not?

The Madrid Skateboard
Hoverboard (Duh)
AIWA HS-P02 Mk ii / HS-P07 (Same cassette player, just different names) and headphones
Erlewine Chiquita Guitar (I might try to make this eventually)
Red Gibson 1963 ES-345TD ( A good knock off one will be grand)
Maroon Eastpak Backpack ( Would be nice to have for the convention)
The JVC GR-C1 Camcorder

I can't think of anything else :S

The vest looks like it's from Headgoonie. Does the tag say Class-5?
bttf_marty_orange_vest5.gif

Real Class-5 vests go for around $500 US.

Yeah It's the one I placed on eBay as I had an unexpected bill, the seller I bought it off a few years back had placed a class 5 label in it. brokenhyperlink - I'm popping it in the post tomorrow so you should have it by Wednesday/Thursday

Last edited by a moderator:
Davidsjferguson Thank you so much! Oh well, it's still a really good one! I'm so pleased I got it when I did and I hope your bill situation is alright. It does look identical at least to me.
MitasTouch what's your verdict on it. Any thing that might need a little tune up or is it a really good replica?

@Davidsjferguson Thank you so much! Oh well, it's still a really good one! I'm so pleased I got it when I did and I hope your bill situation is alright. It does look identical at least to me.
@MitasTouch what's your verdict on it. Any thing that might need a little tune up or is it a really good replica?

No it's a good replica. Any modifications would be impractical.

Davidsjferguson Oh don't start me with that. The London Film and Comic Con is the closest I'm getting to. Getting to Hill Valley would be the dream goal but getting to meet a good lot of the cast for my 18th birthday present will be amazing in itself.
MitasTouch Thanks for the info. My cosplay is actually coming along really well thanks to this! The bodywarmer is the main piece so just getting it and having this list actually shows how close I am to completion :D

... I had a lot of red tees in my wardrobe. It's somewhere in there but it's basically the burgundy colour of Fruit of the Loom I ordered of Amazon ...

I think "burgundy" is more like purple. I would suggest you to search for the color "maroon".

... I got this watch of Ebay as well. It is a Casio CA-53W-1 calculator watch which I think is the actual one, if not very similar ...

That's the correct watch, but only for part 2 and 3. In the first movie Marty wears a Casio CA-50 (very rare).

... I have no idea where the whole red wallet thing came from but people often seem to use it. ...

Remember the scene in part 1 where Marty shows Doc his driver's license to prove that he's a time traveller? You can see his red-black nylon wallet there. :)

Thanks Roland Maybe it isn't the Burgundy one then :S One of my red tees is the correct one. But which one I don't know yet :L I guess this watch will do to.

Does anyone know if I'm forgetting anything. I would try to make the hoverboard and other parts but I'm going over by plane with family so its a no go. Most things are either too big and bulky or too expensive/hard to find :/

What about Marty when he gets to 1955, and he gets the leather lacket, and fedora?
he wears the same shirt, pants (which I haven't IDed yet), and shoes (which I haven't IDed yet either)
the jacket is one of those black Brando jackets. And the fedora is also hard to ID

There are decent leather jackets that have the same style as the jacket used in the movie for around $50 on ebay. The real thing was a Schott's Perfecto. I'm not sure if they actually used a 1950s one or one from the 80s though.

I almost got that hairstyle right now actually since I got a haircut, lol.
In part 2, he puts it to the front and then sips it all to the sides. His hat from when he goes back to 1955 hides his hair, but we see it from the very beginning. The Schott Perfectos are over $200 last time I checked on the bay. But, alternatives are in place. Still looking for his fedora he gets in 1955

That Michael Jackson fox is one unique dude XD
I maybe can pull of a 1955 Marty from Part 1. But all I got are the black converse high tops

IMAG1436.jpg this was taken a few months back hair is longer now but this will be my inconspicious 1955 Marty at the London Comic-Con.

Original Canadian made fur Stetson fedora as Stetson was used on the screen used hat with white checked lining.

Brown tortoise shell wayfarer Ray bans

Marroon t shirt

Guess acid wash slim jeans

Original schott perfecto jacket

Original 1981 Nike Bruins.

Last edited:
View attachment 501020 this was taken a few months back hair is longer now but this will be my inconspicious 1955 Marty at the London Comic-Con.

Original Canadian made fur Stetson fedora as Stetson was used on the screen used hat with white checked lining.

Brown tortoise shell wayfarer Ray bans

Marroon t shirt

Guess acid wash slim jeans

Original schott perfecto jacket

Original 1981 Nike Bruins.

Your costume looks fantastic. Where did you get the maroon T-Shirt if you don't mind my asking?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back