My Luke Skywalker A New Hope Costume

Your weathering looks fantastic! Very natural. I'm glad to hear that my suggesting of tea dyeing worked, I guess those British soldiers really knew what they were doing back in the 19th century in South Africa. :)

looks great man ! The boots look awesome. The whole thing looks awesome ! Nice touch on the weathering. Pm sent

I love Han Solo. How could you not? But I always identified more with Luke and the Jedi. Plus the lightsaber is the coolest weapon in the galaxy!
I didn't say I don't "love" Han; it's just that Luke is closer to who I am. Capisce? :cool
Thom
P.S. Light sabers ROCK!!! :thumbsup

Oh I hear you ThomDave! : )

Yeah those soldiers really did know what they were doing! For the tea dye I actually used two bags of Lipton caffeinated tea and let them steam in boiling water for about 15 minutes. I then let it cool just a bit, enough to handle, and poured it into a large thick plastic container, dropping the teabags into the water to dissolve to nearly nothing. That part is key to the next step. Then I laid my costume out in the yard and loosened the lid on the plastic container and splashed and spattered the costume with the tea mixture. It looked a bit too dark and the remaining tea leaves would make some uneven darker spots, which is what I wanted. The good thing is that I knew that a lot of the darker spots would fade and lighten once the material was washed again. It really worked great! It now has that worn in, faded look I was going for.

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions! I'll have to take some pictures and post them here of the complete weathered costume. It'll likely be a bit before I can get my finalized portfolio pics shot.

A suggestion also for those considering the tea dye method. In order to dye darker color clothing with the tea, you have to make your mixture stronger in order for it to show up on the darker fabric. The tea wasn't as noticeable on the pants, and was not visible at all on the pancho.

But it's a great method that really gives an authentic look!

Nice Luke! The tea method really worked great!

I do think it would have been more fun if you would have rolled in dirt for two weeks though. ;)

Anyway, cant wait to see it with the blaster helmet on! Always loved the look of that helmet.

Thanks all! I did actually throw the whole outfit in the dirt several times, but alas, the washing machine and detergent really did their job and washed most of it off! Thus the tea method worked wonders!

Just figured I could update this thread with a few pictures.

MarkHamillMeMike.jpg

StanLeeMeMike.jpg

At NYCC 2011 one of my best friends and I got to Mark Hamill and Stan Lee. They were both super nice and meeting them was a dream come true! Mark even told me that my costume was better than the one he had! If Luke himself said so, then I don't need any other approval! haha :lol

But in all seriousness, thank you all for your kind words! : )

Psab Keel

Nice! I got my picture with Mark also; definitely a super cool guy. Looks like he was on a pointing kick for the photo ops...

Can not believe you got to meet and have a picture with Stan Lee, that's on my 'bucket list' for sure!

I love the job you did on the boots too.. that was always my favorite part of the original costume!

Thanks. A great guy in Peru made the boots for me. The rest was all me, though the droid caller is a vintage Kobold Flash, and the double leather pouch is a vintage Swiss Ammo Pouch, both of which were used on the original costume. Once I finish converting my Graflex replica into a lightsaber and my Blast Shield Helmet replica, I'll have some more pictures to show you all.

Meeting these two icons was definitely one of the highlights of my life! And regardless of whether or not Mark was a bit tipsy, I can fully understand the need to take the edge off from meeting thousands of people all the time! I work with the public for a living, and I can only imagine how many more people these two have to deal with (whether for good or ill) on a daily basis. I can barely make it through my shift sometimes, but these two must get hounded constantly because of their fame.

Thanks Fifthchamber! Good to see another familiar face on the RPF. That's a really cool Logan jacket you have!

Good to see you here too mate! I think Hollowpond is here too...And Patterson perhaps? I came here following Hollow, since his Jacket was classic and I wanted my own...This site is pretty damned cool...

Although, it means that the amount of time I spend looking at things online and drooling has risen, and that my girlfriend doesn't dig....:)

She's mostly tolerant though..Once I explain it's not WOMEN I'm drooling over, but costumes, leather jackets, and model kits....

LOL....She still thinks I'm a nut I reckon.....

Very cool gear though! I love the boots! And the belt work too! Very very cool...:thumbsup

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back