My Lifesize 1:1 R2-D2 Build - 1st Attempt

azheat01

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
About a year and a half ago I was put in contact with a gentlemen from Phoenix who had a kit that he never got around to building. I passed on it at the time. I called him last week and he still had the kit, so today I somehow got my wife to agree to spend a little of our upcoming tax return!

I met with him tonight and purchased the kit. He said it was put together by someone he knows in the R2 community. Not sure what it's origins are, or if there were other kits, but he said he purchased this from the guy a few years ago. I apologize if any of this kit is a recast of someone's hard work, but I was told it was not.

I don't know much about the R2 builders community other than they are one dedicated, loyal, and intensive bunch. I know they frown on kits like this, but from my point of view I don't have 1) the money (in the thousands), 2) the time (sometimes several years), and 3) the skill, to make this one of those incredible units you see scooting around the conventions. I wish I did, but I don't.

This kit cost me $500, and I can live with that. No big plans, no motors or turning head, maybe just a few lights. Needs lots of cleanup, but for my first attempt, I think I can make it work.

HPIM7524.JPG

HPIM7523.JPG

Last edited:
Thats awesome!

This is one prop that I really really want to do someday

And great price for the kit. Good luck!

azheat01 ,congrats....that is awesome for that price, I am very happy for you and your wife ,getting a project such as that .I wish I had one ,those R2 units are bad to the bone.....good luck with it and look forward to seeing this kit developed....Guy

Don't worry about what everyone else thinks, mate. Do your thing that makes you happy. Sounds like you're ready to get at it! I really can't wait to see your progress!

Wow...That is a blast from the past for sure...

What you have there my friend is an authentic Droidboy kit. He still pokes around here on the RPF, so you might want to PM him for pointers on putting it together. I used to own one just like it.

A little history...In the EARLY days of the R2 Builders group, there were only a handful of guys that offered parts to the group...Gregg (Droidboy), Dave Lockwood, etc...When the club was founded in 1999 we didn't even know what the right diameter of R2 was. Many of the early builders built decent looking astromechs from the same parts you now own. While not nearly as accurate as what is now available, with a decent amount of work you can still build a nice representation of R2.

And considering the fact that you got the whole lot for what some guys pay for a dome...I think you did alright. :)

Congrads,
Jason

Wow...That is a blast from the past for sure...

What you have there my friend is an authentic Droidboy kit. He still pokes around here on the RPF, so you might want to PM him for pointers on putting it together. I used to own one just like it.

A little history...In the EARLY days of the R2 Builders group, there were only a handful of guys that offered parts to the group...Gregg (Droidboy), Dave Lockwood, etc...When the club was founded in 1999 we didn't even know what the right diameter of R2 was. Many of the early builders built decent looking astromechs from the same parts you now own. While not nearly as accurate as what is now available, with a decent amount of work you can still build a nice representation of R2.

And considering the fact that you got the whole lot for what some guys pay for a dome...I think you did alright. :)

Congrads,
Jason

Sweet! Thanks for the info brother. I need to get in touch with him then. The gentlemen I bought this from no longer had, or may be able to find, some directions for me. But right now, I am just winging it and using my replica 12" R2-D2 phone as a reference. The most daunting thing for me is the dome, trying to figure out how to get that done. I know most people have 2, the outer shell they cut and the inner shell. All I have is the one pictured.

If anyone has pointers on this kit, please post, email, or PM me. After getting this home last night I was a bit overwhelmed! Looking forward to it though.

I may peak over to the R2 forums as well. We'll see how it goes.

Well, since I'm waiting for supplies, and Hankey's awesome Sarlacc rug, I decided to move on from my son's room and get going on my R2. I've wanted one for years, one of my all time most desirable props, but this thing is going to take a lot of work! Not the best unit, but I am sure glad I had a chance to snatch up this kit.

I first needed to shorten the Sono tube, it was about an inch and a half in diameter too big. So I cut it down the back and pulled it together. I glued the strip I cut out to the inside to reenforce it. It's not pretty, but will do.

1.JPG

2.JPG

My biggest dilemma was how to attach the styrene body sheets to the tube. Someone recommended Liquid Nails, but I didn't want to use something that thick. After working with this for a while I had no idea how difficult this step would be. The styrene wasn't as flexible as I had hoped. I heated it up some and was able to wrap it a little better. I decided to use a combination of glue and rivets. I will cover the rivets with a small strip of extra styrene later.

I left a small portion exposed on the top of the tube, which worked out excellent. It allows the dome to sit seamlessly without any extra work. It'll just sit it on top and the lip of the styrene body sheets hold it perfectly. No need to attach it, especially since this will be a static display piece, and one day I may want to add a motor to make it move.

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Tomorrow I want to mount the legs, but I first have a ton of sanding to do.

Last edited:
Nice kit! I'm really looking foward to the development of your droid - and of course, when you're done, the x-wing bedroom to put it into :)

I spent some time sanding the main pieces so I could mock this up and start test fitting. I will tell you it won't look pretty on the inside, but for what I paid, I think it will look decent enough on the outside.

The legs are being attached with a simple 5/8 hex bolt, fender washer, locking washer, and wing nut.

11.JPG

I also added a piece of 1 x 3 to the bottom to support the body and center foot. For the center foot, I added two pronged tee nuts which will allow me to attach the foot with two machine screws.

10.JPG

I'll add washers to these when I do the final build.

12.JPG

Made sure everything was level and I'm finally starting to see an R2.

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Last edited:
Those sonotube's are great starters! I created my first R2 build with a wooden cylinder which worked perfect for his base. But those skins should fit exact around that sonotube. Great buy as well on that entire kit, if you were to search piece by piece for R2 parts you would easily spend over a grand.

I was able to do a little work on the feet. I was actually able to get a set of feet from a guy on Astromech at a real decent price. The ones that came with this kit were just not going to work without some serious skill and time, both of which I am short on right now.

I did some sanding, mounted the side details to all 3 feet, and added some small styrene pieces to the front. I also put the first coat of primer on the center foot and ankles. I'm itching to start painting.

13.JPG

14.JPG

I also did a test color for the blue. I think I'll probably stick to this one, the others were either too light or too dark. The horseshoe pieces on top aren't attached yet, I didn't want to do that until I decided on color (I'll hand paint the center sections silver).

15.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back