My Life-Size Han Solo In Carbonite Project - 2nd Attempt

azheat01

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My Lifesize 1:1 Han Solo In Carbonite Project - 2nd Attempt

I am starting up my second attempt at a life-sized Han Solo in Carbonite. My first attempt came out OK and cost around $350.00. But since I have some more detailed pieces, an increased budget, and a bit more experience, I am hoping this one will be nicer and more authentic. Here is what the first one looked like, mostly built from scratch.

On this new project I will am using a front panel cast made out of rubber instead of piecing it together like my first attempt. I also have a set of VashDStampede's side panels which I have probably been holding onto for over a year. These are the best panels I have seen. Also have a set of panel greeblies to add.

I am a beginner when it comes to this, but been toying around with props for a couple years now.

Here is the front panel.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Bought my lumber and started mocking this up.

HPIM5536.JPG

Last edited:
Finished up the box and rough cut the holes for the panels. I still have the holes to do at the base and the top, then I want to seal this and get working on the front panel.

I also rounded the outside edges and will do the same to the inner edges around the front panel.

HPIM5566.JPG

HPIM5544.JPG

HPIM5561.JPG

HPIM5563.JPG

HPIM5541.JPG

Last edited:
I cut out the details on the top and bottom of the case. I don't know the exact sizes, so I improvised. You wont really see these anyway when I mount this to the wall.

HPIM5585.JPG

I used 1/2" MDF for the panel backing. It was cheap and has a nice smooth surface. I also put a few coats of sealer on the wood.

HPIM5587.JPG

I am using expandable foam to fill in the voids of the HIC cast. I decided to do this first, just because I thought it would be easier than cutting the panel after it was glued down. Also did not want to run the risk of the expanding foam popping the panel off. I'll trim the excess once it fully dries.

HPIM5588.JPG

Last edited:
Yesterday I started working on securing the Han front panel to the box. I used a polyurethane adhesive that works well with plastics/vinyl/rubber/etc. I also secured the edges with 1/4 inch wood screws, which helped get a tight bond. I wasn't worried about putting a few holes in the panel since they will all be covered when I pour the carbonite. I checked everything this morning and it's on there pretty solid.

HPIM5595.JPG

HPIM5591.JPG

HPIM5593.JPG

Next I poured the carbonite base. I am using a technique I used on my first HIC build, Elmer's glue with a little hardener/accelerator mixed in. Once this base coat hardens up, I will start pouring several smaller patches to build it up and give it that uneven/frozen look. I figure I will do that 3 times or so.

HPIM5599.JPG

HPIM5597.JPG

Last edited:
wow, that's a project I've always wanted to tackle!! Thanks for sharing pics this is looking really good so far :)

Looking great. If there's still time I would suggest that you pull the feet and the rest of the body closer together, otherwise it seems he'll end up with exceptionally long shins. Just a thought.

Looking great. If there's still time I would suggest that you pull the feet and the rest of the body closer together, otherwise it seems he'll end up with exceptionally long shins. Just a thought.

lol, yeah I always wondered in the film why he ended up in that pose after his hands where shackled. must have been a blooper

Actually, I think that is just an illusion from the photo. Before I placed these I measured from my knee cap to the tip of my boot, both legs, one slightly bent as in the picture and one straight, and the dimensions are exact. I am 6', which is what I built the box dimensions to.

The camera angle may be causing that, but in person it is not quite as dramatic as it looks in the picture.

Good catch...I see what you're talking about too but it is hard to tell with camera angles sometimes. Can't wait to see you building up the frozen parts around it :)

Do you have any plans for electronics or anything?

Good catch...I see what you're talking about too but it is hard to tell with camera angles sometimes. Can't wait to see you building up the frozen parts around it :)

Do you have any plans for electronics or anything?

Yep, I am going to add some LEDs, but again, I am a beginner at this, so.........

By conincidence, I just received some Han chunks today and I'll need to do exactly what you're doing. Could you explain a bit more about your Elmer's glue pour? I was thinking about how I was going to do that part and had no idea until I saw your post.

Scott

By conincidence, I just received some Han chunks today and I'll need to do exactly what you're doing. Could you explain a bit more about your Elmer's glue pour? I was thinking about how I was going to do that part and had no idea until I saw your post.

Scott

For the carbonite I am using Elmer's glue mixed with a bit of hardener. The glue is about $10.00 a gallon from Lowe's, you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, like a school supply store. The name of the hardener escapes me because I stored it in a separate can when I dropped the original bottle a while back. I think it was an accelorant used in epoxy garage floor coatings. If I remember right you can get it from Lowe's or Home Depot, I bought it some time ago. It came in a red, plastic bottle, about the size of a baking soda box. Next time I go, I will try and spot it and get you the name.

I only used it on the initial base, just because it was so thick and I built my last HIC in the winter. It's not entirely necessary, it all depends on how thick your pour is and the temperature (it's pretty hot in AZ right now). You don't have to use it, it just takes longer to harden.

Once that base dries enough, I pour smaller puddles in random locations all over the existing glue and Han's body. When you pour the initial base, you'll get a few bubbles, I used a lighter to get rid of some of them. You can also sand the glue when it dries. I just poured smaller puddles over the areas with bubbles and that takes care of it.

Hope that helps.

lol, yeah I always wondered in the film why he ended up in that pose after his hands where shackled. must have been a blooper

Actually I don't think his hands were shackled but his arms, around his biceps and then behind his back. Or am I imagining things again. :confused

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0aeKwVe9wU

I had to look it up too! The video quality sucks but it almost looks like the shackles are removed (they're messing with them at least...can't tell if they are removed or not since his hands are still together) and he has something around his arms/torso...

When he's unfrozen, there's no shackles or nothing....

Thanks! How hard does Elmer's dry? Will it take any wear over time? Just seems like a soft material, from what I remember.

Scott

When he's unfrozen, there's no shackles or nothing....

Maybe the shackles are made of carbonite and thus melt with the rest of it? One less thing to be used as an improvised weapon when you thaw your prisoner. I suppose?

This Han is looking good. Poor guy.

Thanks! How hard does Elmer's dry? Will it take any wear over time? Just seems like a soft material, from what I remember.

Scott

Elmer's dries pretty solid, unless you plan on using it as target practice, you should be just fine. My other one was rock solid. I know some other people have used flexible grout and other materials to make the carbonite, but I think this is cheaper and easier to work with in my opinion (sands the dry time).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back