My latest weathered Nine Gates replica

That would be me, that commissioned the book. :love: I am very much looking forward to receiving it.

Here is the proper incantation from the Movie.

To travel in Silence
By a long and circuitous route
To brave the arrows of misfortune
And fear neither noose or fire
To play the greatest of games and win
Forgoing no expense
Is to mock the vicissitudes of Fate
And gain at last, the Key
That will unlock the Ninth Gate.

This is a description of a long and dangerous journey that refers to the Ninth Gate.
And Dante's Inferno is a long and dangerous journey through the NINE levels of Hell.

Dante's Inferno clearly lines up with the Nine Gates book, and is a wonderful text to put with the woodcuts.
If Dante's Inferno is indeed a journey through Hell, then that would be when the nine woodcuts signed by Lucifer would have been obtained, and maybe even EARNED. ;) Fictionally speaking, of course.

Last edited:
I made a chart for that incantation, which I incorporated into one of my earlier custom works. Maybe I should turn it into a poster.
rps20200610_230229.jpg

Haven't updated this thread in a while so I thought I'd post pics of a recent commission I just completed for a fellow RPFer. This is a custom Nine Gates with the English translation of Dante's Inferno instead of the usual Nine Gates Latin text. There are 34 cantos in Inferno and as per the client's instruction, I split them into 9 chapters in the style of the Nine Gates, with the LCF woodcuts interspersed between them. The pages were printed on 180gsm thick textured ivory art paper and were weathered, sewn and bound with black lambskin leather. The cover is stamped with the regular Nine Gates markings. As per the client's instruction, I left the cover pristine and only aged the page edges to accentuate the book's look. I'm really proud of this book and I hope the client likes it.
View attachment 1308120View attachment 1308121View attachment 1308122View attachment 1308123View attachment 1308124View attachment 1308125
Good job !

Very nice !!!! Would love to own an actual version.
I have one by kalkamal.
kalkamel ’s 9 gates is still one of my favorite props in my collection. It is the best version anyone can find outside of the actual prop. Even the pages are kosher lol :D

Very nice !!!! Would love to own an actual version.
I have one by kalkamal.
kalkamel ’s 9 gates is still one of my favorite props in my collection. It is the best version anyone can find outside of the actual prop. Even the pages are kosher lol :D
Yes it's almost the best replica. The actual prop book (only 1 survive) is not like this replica. We didn't gave all the informations. Some original pages in the HERO prop are missing in the replica (What did you expect ?)

Thanks for the kind words, guys! And yes, I'm sure my replica isn't 100% accurate to the Hero Prop, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. It has evolved so much throughout the years and I've made one or two tweaks from the original material that Mike Haspil gave me.

Brigandia36, the reddishness is probably due to the lighting in that video. In person its more dark brown actually.
rps20220222_030928.jpg

But man, the weathering on that Hero Prop cover is gorgeous! I'm so envious!

Mike Haspil... It's a long time I never heard about him. All he knows is from me or Olliver. I sold my book to Olliver and there is some pages I didn't give to Olliver. Nobody have a real complete book.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back