My latest addition to my 1/72 ish collection

blakeh1

Sr Member
After close to 4 years, I finally have finished my Fine Molds 1/72 Falcon. I kept putting it on hold deciding whether I should attempt to fix the mandibles, fix the flatness issue, build it with magnets so I could swap out the landing gear for in flight vs landed, which would then mean I needed to scratch some interiors so you see up the ramp and through the cockpit door, replacing the radar dish, making copies of the some of the greeblies and figures to use with my MPC builds, etc...

I eventually got to the realization it's better having a fully built and painted Falcon. Otherwise I've got a $200 plus dollar pile of plastic.
I can save the dreaming for the MPC kits, or breakdown and buy the Revell repop when they finally release it (assuming it doesn't go into put of production mode as fast as the Fine Molds ones did) and not be daunted by screwing up trying to fix the toe in since I've already got one built.

At any rate, out of the box build apart from the Madman Lighting Kit, and MMI exhaust grilles.

I skipped primer and laid down a coat of GW Chaos black in the engine wells/pits. Then did a base coat of Tamiya AS-16 (Light Grey). Then I mask on some panels and did a coat of Tamiya AS-20 (Insignia White) sprayed outward straight out from the center (the same way the runoff would go) while leaving it as more of a misting in some areas to give a little variation. Then I added the darker grey panels and red panels by hand (didn't feel like breaking out the airbrush). After that it was iterations of oil washes and pastel work followed by a matte varnish, some misting of Tamiya AS-20 and more pastels and washes.

I'm not sure about the color. The box art on the old MPC boxes always seemed to show a more grey than cream falcon.
http://www.starwarsmodels.com/images/boxes/falconmpc.jpg
http://galaxykits.com/instructions/files/mpc_amt_esci_ertl/millennium_falkon_5030_n.jpg

I kind of prefer the more grey look. At any rate, depending on the light it looks more grey or white. In more natural yellow light like the full sun or incandescent bulbs it looks more greyish, in cloud cover or a room in the day with out lights on it looks more white

I quickly did the figures and was a little sloppier than normal with them. At some point I plan to touch them up a little better, but for now they will do. you can't even see most of them anyway

- - - Updated - - -

And I brought it into work to display along with all my other 1/72 ish stuff (and my daugther's picture and her artwork :))

I'm running out of room on my desk/cubicle

From left to right Fine Molds Jedi Starfighter, Titanium Series Droid Tri-fighter, Revell Arc-170, Studio Starforge Eta Starfighter, Fine Molds Tie, Tie Advanced, jpg AAT, MVM Tie Bomber, Fine Molds Tie Interceptor, Retro SF cloud Car, Fantastic Plastic B-wing, Retro SF Snowspeeder, jpg Landspeeder, Fine Molds Y-wing, Fine Molds X-wing, Revell AT-AT

Here it is in its final display place with the Revell Slave-1 and the Retro SF Cloud Car on top of my little desk cabinet

Last edited:
Yes Blake, really beautiful work,...perfect weathering,....love the Slave 1 also

J

That's the Revell Slave 1 with some modifications on the wing flaps and a scratched interior. In some ways I think it looks closer to 1/72 than the Fine molds one does, but then again, that might be since the Fine Molds falcon is a bit on the small side for it's scale as well while the Fine Molds Slave 1 is a bit on the large side

Man, that is sweet! If my "turd" comes out that good I would be really pleased.
Great collection by the way.

Thanks

You have done some top notch modifications to that model. It's kind of sad though that the best compliment a manufacturer gets on some of there models is that the modifications made to it make it so it is no longer recognized as the bland lump of plastic they sold us:lol

That's a great collection! Your slave 1 looks amazing.

Is that ARC-170 in 1/72? That's an awesome model!

That's the regular Revell easy kit (not the pocket easy kit). I got a couple from Michael's with a half off coupon.
I believe it is close enough to 1/72 although I'm not sure of the exact scale since there is not much to compare it with.
It's larger than 1/48 and smaller than 1/72. Based on the figures size, it might be around 1/57 to 1/63, but they seem a little oversized for the cockpit as there helmets pretty much touch the canopy. I'm guessing it's probably more in the 1/65 to 1/68 range so I lump in in with my 1/72 scale stuff and call it a day.

I'd love to see a truer scale 1/72 version of this. Hopefully someday Bandai will come to the rescue

Very nice paint job on your Falcon! Darn near perfect, if you ask me.
Your Falcon looks absolutely incredible!!! Beautiful work, and a great looking collection, thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

And thanks for all the builds all of you guys and others have posted. It helps with motivation seeing other people's finished work and in progress stuff. I come here almost everyday for inspiration

Very nice collection! The one image looks just like the one from the MPC box... great job & congrats on 'gettin' 'er done'!

Regards, Robert

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back