My kind of BTTF MAG project

TUTO

step 04 : Coating

I tried 2 mixes to coating foam. N°1 (to the left on pic): white glue (used for wood) + acrylic paint. N°2 (to the right of pic): Sikagard + acrylique paint. As you can see, after twist and bend foam, mix N°1 peels and crack unlike N°2 which resits (3 coats minimum needed).
DSC_0880.JPG

So mix 3 doses of sikagard for 1 dose of acrylic paint. That what I've done for this picture but I'll try 2 Sikagard doses for 1 acrylic paint and test it, it probably be enough.
Sikagard is a rubber coat for waterproffing inclined roof. It resists to UV, to weather and I choose the clear one in order to tint it with acrylic paint. Sika is available over the world but I don't know if Sikagard is the name used everywhere.
Here pics of it but in french.
DSC_0881.JPGDSC_0882.JPGDSC_0883.JPGDSC_0884.JPG

Jewan Would this rubber (Sika?) work on the mid-sole and heel cup of the V2s as well?

Given this seals foam, might be also be useful in the foam builders section for projects like PEP. Then again, your heel cup looks like a PEP unfold ;)

Do you have a pattern for the cutout of the bubble light? I want to add that to the Sketch Up file so that the pattern can be used to create left and right symmetrical parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it works on V2. I have not any pair of Nike Mag. But I think yes, maybe sanding a little bit your sole before. The notice explain that you can coat metal, PVC, Polyester with it.

I don't have bubble light pattern (this is the 3 colors light on heel I suppose), cause as you can see I don't integrate any electronic in my model, but I can try. I was thinking about "glowing in the dark" tape possibly for sole for different reasons (no battery needed and a lower cost of shoes). But it's tempting :)

@Jewan Would this rubber (Sika?) work on the mid-sole and heel cup of the V2s as well?

Given this seals foam, might be also be useful in the foam builders section for projects like PEP. Then again, your heel cup looks like a PEP unfold ;)

Do you have a pattern for the cutout of the bubble light? I want to add that to the Sketch Up file so that the pattern can be used to create left and right symmetrical parts.

Maybe something like that
bukle&heelvector2.jpg

Perfect! I'll add this to the file.

What are you wanting to do with the little bit on the back of the heel?

Sorry, I have some difficulty to translate your question in french. What do you call "the little bit on the back of the heel"? is it a specific part of the pattern?

Sorry, I have some difficulty to translate your question in french. What do you call "the little bit on the back of the heel"? is it a specific part of the pattern?
attachment.php

If you look these images of the both the 2011 MAG and screen used shoe, you can see what I am talking about. Interesting, it seems they changed the shape slightly on the 2011 shoe.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Nike4.jpg
    Nike4.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 307
  • Ebay Image 11.jpg
    Ebay Image 11.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_7803.JPG
    IMG_7803.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 326
Jewan I have added the cutout to the heel cup file. Now all I need to do as sort that bit on the heel, convert this to a DXF file and I can then have these laser cut.

attachment.php

I would have to break the sole into a few "layers" as well for the laser cutting to be effective.
Then re-design the clears?

Attachments

• MAG Mid Sole Rivision 1.jpg
    MAG Mid Sole Rivision 1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 298
Last edited by a moderator:
You cut foam with laser ?

You can, but I will have these parts cut from rigid plastic, texture them, then make an open back silicone mold.

I had considered #40 grit sandpaper to make the master, but plastic coated with vaseline and fine sand (like that used in a sand pit or fish tank) will probable work best. The silicone will capture all the details in a female tool. After that, I will use the same rubber (tinted light grey) to make a positive that can be glued up and BOOM, done.

If I am really anal, I can rub the inside of the mold down with aqua rubber first, then after that cures, pour in the grey. The two fuse and the splatters become the texture bumps only.

Actually, thinking about this, I need to include the base of the clear sole, pour the clear base first, then add all the other layers. You won't get better fusion or bond than that.

@Jewan do you know where I can find the foam mates you used for these mags I'm having some trouble finding some.
I don't know if you have DECAPRO in USA http://www.decathlonpro.fr/tapis-de...ation-et-cardiotraining-df920-id-1546601.html. It's polyethylene foam like plastazote. So you can try with plastazote in 45 or 70 for density. I think my my foam mat is 70 density or more. I will buy plastazote soon cause the surface is smoother, easier to glue and sanding than decapro mates. Some LARP shops sell plastazote sheet to make armors and weapons.
the only problem is finding the right pattern for the tongue.
I've one. Works well for me.
tongmod.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if you have DECAPRO in USA http://www.decathlonpro.fr/tapis-de...ation-et-cardiotraining-df920-id-1546601.html. It's polyethylene foam like plastazote. So you can try with plastazote in 45 or 70 for density. I think my my foam mat is 70 density or more. I will buy plastazote soon cause the surface is smoother, easier to glue and sanding than decapro mates. Some LARP shops sell plastazote sheet to make armors and weapons.

I've one.
I've find a puzzle piece foam mat that has the thickness of .47(inches) do you think that would work ?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back