My Iron man lid

Tua Cathach

I was lucky enough to get this helmet from a friend of mine.
it was raw when i got it .. i was going for original paint up, but changed my mind.. decided i was gonna do black and silver,, didnt like it so i eventually came up with this.

I will be making the rest of the armour using pep files.. which should be interesting,
Face plate after first few layers..
P1090038.jpg

P1090094.jpg

P1090095.jpg

P1090105.jpg

P1090107.jpg

P1090108.jpg

P1090109.jpg

P1090110.jpg

anway only thing left to do is the lights in the eyes.. i've heard about EL wire but anything i see online just doesnt seem right.. any ideas guys.. really appreciate it

Last edited:
Try taking a look at EL Sheet instead of EL wire...about the only other option is to make an LED light box out of the eyes. Regardless of what you do, make sure you properly black out the lights so the light doesn't leak back into the helmet. If that happens, you'll be walking blind.

The helmet looks fantastic, by the way. You did a great job on the weathering. It really looks like Iron Man is a fighting machine with a good amount of battle damage.

Any clue whose mold/model/sculpt/file it is?

-Nick

I like the finish...it looks like a post-apocalyptic artifact.

Someone was searching the ruins of the Stark mansion after a nuclear war and found that among the rubble.

thanks guys.. yea its one of fets masks.. .
propbably the only piece of proper armour i will buy.. when i make the rest .. the plan is to weather it the same.

Very nice! Looks like it's been in a serious fire.

What techniques did you use to get that effect?

i used a mixture of paints . both enamel and acryllic..
firstly i base coated the head in sections with grey primer over sprayed it until paint ran.. then i used WD40 and sprayed it on.. as soon as it hit the primer it hardened the paint.. i then used a cloth to rub over this. any paint that didnt set, rubbed off.. i bascially repeated this until the entire helmet had a primer base..

what i found this does is build up layers like the metal has flaked away.. instead of just visual damage it looks and feels like actual metal damage

i then sprayed with silver enamel paint.. then shot it with gold paint. ..on the wet silver.. leave it for a few..

i then sprayed everything apart from the face plate with black acrylic using the airbrush..
i left it for a couple of minutes and took a sponge to it and litterally wiped it off..

took a couple of wipes etc...
i then dry brushed some silver over the raised parts..
and clear coated after a few days
once the paint had dried

hope that explains it

not exactly.. i was using it and i spotted where it hit some wet paint that had spilled.. when i wiped it, i got the effect... i thought to myself wohoooo

Do they make blacklight LEDs? That would fit the "mood" of this helmet... Otherwise, red like JayMay has in his War Machine...

thanks for the comments guys.. really happy with it. i've also ordered the el sheet so i should have lighting eyes soon..

Fettster , man i love this lid. i got it from a good friend.usurper..

That looks so sweet! I didnt read the thread yet, but I think it looks like you got hit with the tank round. GREAT WORK!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back