My Full Review of the Baron Boutique David Tennant Suit - Lots of pics

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by jedibugs, Jun 25, 2010.

1. jedibugs

jedibugs Well-Known Member

So, I got my Baron Boutique Tennat suit a couple weeks ago and I thought I'd wear it around a bit and really get a sense of it before writing a review or posting any pics. I've had some time and now I'm ready to talk.

First, I have to say that I was immediately impressed with the overall quality. This is a finely tailored suit that is a joy to wear in daily life.

Also, I know that there is some exact-replica reweave fabric coming out, which may even prompt me to purchase a second suit, but I have to say that the printed fabric looks GOOD. If, like me, you don't want to wait for the reweave then this is a very viable option and is very well done. You never even notice it's printed (except for one timy break in a single line on the trousers... if you look closely, you can see it in pic 6 below).

Since there are plenty of posts with people posing in their Tennant suits, I'll just be sticking to the details, for the most part, because there were lots of little touches that I'd never seen anyone else mention here and wanted to share. Now, on to some pics:

This is a closeup of the inside left of the jacket, showing the (normally hidden) button fastener for the top pocket (more on that in the next pic).
    [​IMG]

This is a wider shot of the inside-left... THREE pockets! Only the top one fastens (I don't have a pic showing it, but the single pocket on the left fastens as well). I don't have one to check (YET) but the middle pocket seems almost made for holding a Sonic Screwdriver. We'll see in a week or two when my CT Tennant sonic arrives.
    [​IMG]

The right side inside pocket. The leftmost button is for fastening. The other two are, I assume, back-ups in case a button is lost.
    [​IMG]

This is a peek inside the bottom coat pockets, just to show the proper faux flap and horizontal inner striping.
    [​IMG]

Here is the back of the coat. Note how the vent goes all the way up to the half-belt.
    [​IMG]

The trousers.
    [​IMG]

Close up of the closure on the trousers.
    [​IMG]

The closure, unclosed.
    [​IMG]

The Baron Boutique label and a secret pocket!
    [​IMG]

Closer on the secret pocket. It's basically a split in the waistband with an interior pocket. That's my iPhone 3GS standing upright in there, so you can get an idea of how big the pocket is.
    [​IMG]

Detail of the interior lining. It feels very nice as well.
    [​IMG]

Here, you can see that the interior of the trousers is fully lined, which even impressed my local tailor! (Note: any loose threads you see are due to getting the pants altered after I'd received them. I think I gave some slightly off numbers when ordering.)
    [​IMG]

Here's the back of the trousers, showing the proper button loop thingies. I believe "Button loop thingies" is totally the proper tailoring term for them. :lol
    [​IMG]

And closer up, so you can see the interior of the pocket... note again the proper horizontal pinstripes on the interior.
    [​IMG]

And, finally, one shot of me wearing the suit. I couldn't find my tripod, so I tried holding the camera at arm's length... not easy with a Nikon D80 DSLR. But I thought the picture was cool anyway. I'll get some proper pics of me in the suit up later. This is a pretty accurate representation of the color of the suit as seen by the naked eye.
    [​IMG]

If anyone has any questions about the suit, I'd be happy to answer.

-Shawn

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. Airborne

Airborne New Member

Looks VERY well done. I want one now LOL

3. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

So what will the improvements be in the re-weave, either on this or the blue version? This looks pretty good to me...

4. jedibugs

This is blue printed onto a plain brown cotton. The re-weave will be an exact match of the original, screen-used fabric, with the blue woven in with the brown rather than printed. I don't know if you could say that it's better, but if you're a major stickler for 100% accuracy (as so many here are), then you may prefer the weave. For me, the printed fabric is beautiful and I don't really think I would know it was printed if I hadn't known in advance.

5. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The suit looks great, very well tailored. I'm still considering going through them for my jacket, but even with all the details they've really nailed it's hard to say if they'll get one or two REALLY small ones right. I'll probably just have to ask and then cross my fingers.

The difference between the current Baron fabric and the new Magnoli stuff is as he said, Magnoli's is woven like the original and Baron's is silk screened. We haven't seen it happen yet, but there's a chance that the stripes on Baron's will flake off with age like an old t-shirt. My personal complaint with the fabric is the feel of it. It feels really rough compared to the original. That said, their pattern and the quality of their tailoring is fantastic. I'd love to see some shots of the shoulder area to see if they got that part of the pattern right, as that is one of my two main concerns.

6. jedibugs

Risu, I'll get some pictures posted tomorrow of the shoulder/collar area while being worn. As for accuracy otherwise, last I heard/saw about the Magnoli suit, the back vent didn't go all the way to the half-belt which was itself positioned incorrectly and the pockets had something wrong with them. I can't remember if it was that they didn't have faux flaps or if it was that the insides didn't have the horizontal striping or both. Either way, it's not a perfect suit (accuracy-wise) unless Indy has made some changes that I've yet to hear about.

As for the silk screening flaking off concern, I don't think it's nearly as much of a concern as it would be with a T-shirt. After all, you don't tend to dry clean T-shirts and leave them on a hanger when not in use. I'm pretty sure laundering has a lot more of an effect on the silk screening than day-to-day wear.

7. Risu

Definitely, and the stretch material of the shirt would cause a lot of the flaking as well. But I'm just saying, it's a possibility.

Magnoli will be selling his fabric by the yard as well, not just as a suit, but I gave him a long list of upgrades to make to his pattern which should be done by the time the fabric comes in. If he makes all of the upgrades it'll be on par with the Baron pattern.

8. jedibugs

Then it'll just be a matter of whether the coat is lower for a Magnoli or for buying the fabric from him and sending it to Baron to make at a discounted price. Also on how nice the Magnoli suits are from a purely suit perspective, which is probably pretty nice but I've never really seen any shots or reviews.

9. Risu

The suit I bought from him a couple years back was sized incorrectly, but the quality was very good. It has a lot of the same stuff as the Baron suit as far as structure is concerned.

10. cryptkeeper12

cryptkeeper12 New Member

Hello! Been lurking around the forums for a while (love the site). Great looking suit, Jedi.

I've been thinking about getting a Baron suit too but I was wondering on how accurate the brown is. I've read a couple reviews saying that the brown was too dark.

A lot of those reviews are from 2009, though, so I'm not sure if it's changed at all.

Thanks. And again, great suit.

11. jedibugs

Having not seen the actual suit in person, I can't say for certain how accurate it is. I can say that I know Baron has changed the fabric they used recently, after someone on this board got a swatch from the same GAP-made trousers that the Tennant suit was made of. The current Baron suit is made to match that swatch with what I can only imagine is the absolute closest brown they could achieve, with the blue stripes printed on. Apparently, a lot of attention to detail went in to getting the width and spacing of the stripes right as well.

From a purely subjective perspective, it's a lovely chocolate brown and looks fantastic.

Also, the swatch that this fabric was based on (or another swatch from accurate source material) has also been sent to Magnoli's, who are reproducing an exact re-weave to use in their suits, so that may also be an option to look into, though I can't say when. As for their accuracy, see the comments above between myself and Risu.

The Magnoli suits are also more expensive but I don't know how the new fabric will affect the price (if at all). They're supposedly also going to sell the fabric by the yard, so if you wanted to buy it and send it to Baron, they'd discount the tailoring cost (Magnoli's has no such discount if you provide your own fabric).

12. cryptkeeper12

cryptkeeper12 New Member

Ah, sounds good! Thanks for the info :)

13. Risu

If you look up my thread on the Magnoli reweave you can see a comparison picture of the original swatch, Magnoli's, and Baron's two fabrics. The color brown of the new Baron fabric is nice on it's own, but lighter than the original.

14. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any new word on when Magnoli will be offering the fabric (looking to get the cotton weave)?

15. Risu

I believe it's shipping now.

16. akahizzle

akahizzle New Member

I've ordered the baron suit and its on its way right now. Soo excited! I went to macy's today to get a dress shirt, but I couldn't find the right color. Where did you get your shirt jedi? That color looks like it goes perfectly with the suit and tie combo you have.

17. jedibugs

I have a lot of difficulty finding dress shirts that fit me, so I actually got a pair of shirts tailored for me at a local tailor, the one pictured and a light blue one as well. They ended up at like $80-90 a piece, but it also allowed me to be really * and make the shirts in the same style (IE: closure type, back pleats, etc.) as the Doctor's, as seen in "The Runaway Bride." In general, if you can spend the extra for custom-tailored shirts, I say do so... I don't make a lot of money, but I think the added comfort and control over color and pattern and fit is totally worth it.

18. OncomingStorm

OncomingStorm New Member

Hey, my first time here, so just in case, sorry if I manage to break any rules.

I'm really interested in buying one of the Doctor Who suits from Baron (I find Magnoli too expensive). There seems to be a huge difference between the wool and the cotton though. The blue pinstripe seems to be a lot heavier on the cotton than the wool, and I was wondering if the current suit they have is the same as yours, or if they have changed it? And also, is it possible for you to post a picture of the suit, but from a bit of a distance? The thing really hesitating me is the pinstripe difference between the wool and the cotton. It'd be great if you could help thanks, and great review.

The Oncoming Storm.

19. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

I own a 10 suit in wool and another in cotton. Cotton feels and moves just right, to my eyes, wool doesn't quite do it. You can especially see the extra similarity in the cotton where the sleeves meet the shoulders, the way the fabric sits. That's just my input anyway.

20. OncomingStorm

OncomingStorm New Member

So would you recommend that I get the cotton? In the cotton picture there looks like there so many really bright pinstripes.

21. OncomingStorm

OncomingStorm New Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  22. Risu

The brown suit has 12 stripes on the pocket flap, the blue has 9. The stripes on each fabric have different spacing. If you go with Baron's material you're better off with the cotton, but the stripes will be ridiculously loud. Best bet is Magnoli fabric tailored by Baron.

23. jedibugs

In daily wear, the stripes aren't really as jarring as they are in that picture (or in the pics I posted, for that matter). I wear mine a LOT and I get a lot of compliments. That said, I do agree with Risu that your best bet is probably to get some of the twelfth fabric from Magnoli and send it to Baron for the tailoring. The stripes are more muted and natural looking and it's more screen-accurate, as the fabric is a reweave based on the same exact material used for Tennant's suits. Also, Baron's prices are cheaper when you supply your own fabric.

24. jedibugs

Just FYI, I went through my old emails and found the quote I got from Baron for using your own fabric:
    "We sure can tailor suit with your own fabric. Tailoring is $110 and shipping is $55."
    So, you're looking at $165 shipped, plus the cost of fabric if you go the route Risu suggested. I believe the fabric from Magnoli is $30/yard, requiring 4 yards on average, depending on your size.

25. Risu

Wow, they must not have a set price, because that's the third different quote I've heard for people sending in their own fabric. The original price they quoted me was a total ripoff ($150) and now they're saying $120.

26. jedibugs

Weird. Well, I know they're willing to work with you a little on price. I ordered my suit with an extra pair of trousers and there was a little miscommunication as to how much that would cost, but in the end they split the difference and it all worked out.

27. OncomingStorm

OncomingStorm New Member

Okay that's great thanks, thanks for all your help.

28. jedibugs

Hey, Risu... can I ask what made you finally decide on Baron over Magnoli?

29. Risu

Primrodo had already put in the leg work to get Baron's pattern 99% accurate. Before I placed my order, we worked together to get that last 1%. Magnoli does good work at a high quality, but I have to go with the sure thing. Also, the price was pretty appealing.

30. SallySparrow

SallySparrow New Member

In your opinion; is it better to go with the cotton or the wool as far as Baron goes? What are the pros and cons?

31. jedibugs

Oh, cotton all the way, if you're interested in accuracy. The wool is a "good-enough" pattern, whereas the cotton pattern is exact as far as pinstripe size and spacing. Not to mention that the suits that David Tennant wore were cotton... they actually cut up trousers to get the fabric to make the suits, rather than a more typical suit material.

Of course, the very best bet is to buy the custom reweave cotton from Magnoli (the Baron is screen-printed) and send it to Baron for tailoring (they discount the cost when you supply the fabric).

32. SallySparrow

SallySparrow New Member

Would you say it's about the same cost?

33. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

The reality is that if you want a super, super cheap 10 suit, keep an eye out at H&M. You can often pick up a good mod-style blue or brown suit there. It might not have the right fabric or details but the cut will be lethal and you’ll look the part with your chuck taylors on.

34. Risu

It should be noted though that H&M in large part only sells clothes that are TOO tight for the look. Perfect for Smith, not so much for Tennant.

35. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

Ive used Baron in the past. They made me a custom replica Joker coat (not the one on their site, I had them modify it) and it came out amazing. Ive heard people comnplain about the quality of their work in the past but Ive ordered 3 things from them and theyve all been great.

Your suit looks amazing, congrats!

36. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

H&M suits do tend to be slim but as I say, they will look the part, because a suit that's slightly too skinny will still look like a Tennant suit, but one that's too loose won't, IMHO.

37. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member

I have also dealt with Baron Boutique and recently had them redo their Joker coat based up screencaps and promo pics. They were fantastic to work with and were more then willing to do any alterations that I requested.

38. Vanguard1138

Vanguard1138 Member

To get the closest Tennant fit, which of Baron's fits would be the best to go for?

Snug, comfortable, loosely comfortable or very loose?

39. Risu

Snug. Also, you're going to want to ask them to make the sleeves tight. My suits from them fit perfectly in the body, but the sleeves are HUGE.

40. jedibugs

I agree with Risu on the snug recommendation. However, on the arms, I sent them my arm hole measurement in addition to the others they asked for and the arms came out great. Of course, Risu may just have freakishly skinny twig arms, too :)

41. Risu

The cuffs of the sleeves measure 13 inches. My wrists are roughly 7. That leaves a lot of extra room.

42. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

A good tailor should be able slim down the sleeves pretty easily.

43. Risu

My tailor wanted $125 per jacket to take in and shorten the sleeves and fix the flare at the bottom back of the jacket. She used to quote me great prices, but the last few haven't been so good. I'm pretty sure I've gone through all of the tailors in Long Beach, though, so I guess I'm stuck. At least she knows how to sew.

44. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

I have a pretty good one if you fancy the drive up to LA.

45. Risu

Actually, the drive up to LA is one of my least favorite things, and my car doesn't care for it either. :lol If I ever really need to find somebody new I might change my mind, though.

46. Blaidd Drwg

Blaidd Drwg New Member

Hi there. Great photos of your Baron's suit, it looks fantastic. :)

I've been thinking about dressing up as the Doctor for NY Comic Con this year, and have been trying to decide how to go about getting a suit. After reading this thread, I think I've decided on getting the fabric from Magnoli and sending it to Baron's for tailoring. The thing is, I'm a girl, so I'm a little concerned about how the suit would fit me. Jedi, since you own a Baron's suit and know how it fits, I was just wondering if you might have any insight on this?

47. jedibugs

Well, I'm a guy, so I don't know how well I'd be able to make that assessment, but I can say to simply email them, let them know you're a girl and you'd like the suit altered for a more female form... They'd want different measurements, but I'm sure they'd be willing to accommodate you.

48. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

It might be possible to send one of your own suits to them and have them copy the fit. I know that Magnoli offers that service.

49. B64510983

B64510983 New Member

Hey I'm thinking about getting a baron suit and was wondering if you have had any problems with the silkscreen pinstripes flaking like a t-shirt or of there holding up pretty good?

50. jedibugs

None at all. More detail in your PM.