My first Screen used prop restoration - Graboid

TylerHam

Well-Known Member
This is a screen used graboid from the first TREMORS film!

I bought this a while ago, and it just has been slowly falling apart. First, the cables were causing a lot of stress on the body - So as sad as it was, I had to cut them out..

However, I can tell from looking inside that they can be repaired if I ever wanted to.

I only did what was totally needed - There is still a lot of damage from use as a prop, and I kept that. I really needed to address the fraying and rips on the bottom by replacing a piece, as well as reinforcing the weak areas -

Here are pics of my progress - The original Damage, the patching, and the restored -

graboid_tail.jpg


The other only really bad part was tearing and drying / cracking on the neck. I cut some minimal foam off that was hard or rotting, then filled the removed area. After that I tried as hard as I could to color match the surrounding area. I really tried to not paint over anything that wasnt fill. Also, I tried not to paint over areas that were just scratches or minor damage from film set use.

graboid.jpg


I realize its no Spina, but I think it looks pretty good :) Also, the reinforcement of the weakened foam will keep the prop from any more damage for (I hope) a long time!
 
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back
Top