My First Lightsaber

Tan Djarka

Sr Member
For a variety of reasons, I decided it might be interesting to recreate my first Lightsaber. If you recall, it was THE first Lightsaber, though it was not a licensed product.

image.jpeg

A vintage Eveready flashlight and golf tube.
image.jpeg

A modified plastic desk hole plug stands in for the blade holder.

image.jpeg

A plastic cap from some random hair product for the blade tip.

image.jpeg

Black is the new orange. If I can find a metal Eveready flashlight, I'll probably make one from that too.

Last edited:

Tan Djarka

Sr Member
What? No comment on the "black is the new orange" joke? Okay.

Anyway... Should you choose to pursue this project, I highly recommend replacing the original light bulb with an LED retrofit. It makes all the difference in the world. I picked it up at an Ace Hardware for about $7.

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
Here was my first lightsaber…

E1E3E732-9FFF-4EA7-AEFA-2157A7BE0C86.jpeg

I just posted this on the RPF Facebook page as I was looking to find a replacement for the lost cap.

I also have been thinking of an updated fx lightsaber based on my first hilt. Back in 2000, I had access to a metal lathe and I turned out a static hilt that was based on this hilt, especially the emitter shape. Unfortunately that hilt was stolen during a move a few years later.

Doh2

Sr Member
I have no photos, but tried making one back in 1977(!) from a plastic Eveready flashlight and old broom handle I intended to cover in reflective tape. My flashlight was yellow but for the life of me, couldn't figure out how to attach the handle to the light. Even now, I'm not sure how I'd pull that off. Maybe with some sort of spray foam...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.