My First Lightsaber

Tan Djarka

Sr Member
For a variety of reasons, I decided it might be interesting to recreate my first Lightsaber. If you recall, it was THE first Lightsaber, though it was not a licensed product.

image.jpeg

A vintage Eveready flashlight and golf tube.
image.jpeg

A modified plastic desk hole plug stands in for the blade holder.

image.jpeg

A plastic cap from some random hair product for the blade tip.

image.jpeg

Black is the new orange. If I can find a metal Eveready flashlight, I'll probably make one from that too.

Last edited:
What? No comment on the "black is the new orange" joke? Okay.

Anyway... Should you choose to pursue this project, I highly recommend replacing the original light bulb with an LED retrofit. It makes all the difference in the world. I picked it up at an Ace Hardware for about $7.

Here was my first lightsaber…

E1E3E732-9FFF-4EA7-AEFA-2157A7BE0C86.jpeg

I just posted this on the RPF Facebook page as I was looking to find a replacement for the lost cap.

I also have been thinking of an updated fx lightsaber based on my first hilt. Back in 2000, I had access to a metal lathe and I turned out a static hilt that was based on this hilt, especially the emitter shape. Unfortunately that hilt was stolen during a move a few years later.

I have no photos, but tried making one back in 1977(!) from a plastic Eveready flashlight and old broom handle I intended to cover in reflective tape. My flashlight was yellow but for the life of me, couldn't figure out how to attach the handle to the light. Even now, I'm not sure how I'd pull that off. Maybe with some sort of spray foam...

Actually, no. I upgraded the incandescent bulb to LED, but I've been using it as... (wait for it) A flashlight! I found another brand (Coleman?) that I may convert, though the reflector is cracked.
I had one of those knock off sabers back when they came out, mine was red.. Oh to have had multi change LEDs back in the day. Mine has long since gone but funny didn't realise it was a knock off till research on the Internet.

I am sure you could find a replacement for the cracked reflector or... As we used to do in our 6v vehicles line it with tin foil to increase the reflective quality?

I did find a Force saber but it was an empty shell no blade or white switch and they wanted a pretty penny for it too..

Hey MJF, check the pic above of the replacement blade tip. That one's a little long but they are typically shorter.
Ok thanks. Is that clear? I was trying to find a cap like the original made out of the same translucent white material of the blade. But I fear that is not possible unless I 3D print something.

It's also translucent white, very much like the blade. In the stores you often have a few choices, so you may find exactly the color you want. It's not a tight fit, so I fixed in place with some clear adhesive. I don't want to lose it... Again.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back