My Final Ideas Before I Start, Any Advice Or Tips Are Appreciated!

ThePred2012

First off, again thanks for all the advice and tips I have received in such a short time as a NOOB! I really am truely greatful.

So lets begin. I have decided I am going to do the spandex suit, as I have a spandex blue-man suit at home already. i was planning on stuffing the suit with paper to give it the full size I need. I was going to take some foam/cushions and cut out a "Mr Incredible"/ Predator type muscle design and attach it to the blue suit and then give it 8-10 coats of flesh colored liquid latex and let it cure for 24 hrs between coats. Then I was going to see about getting it painted, since I have no airbrush experience. I was leaning towards a desert type clan as I have not seen that here and want to have an original idea. I am thinking a simple paint scheme for now.

Due to time constraints, I am going to just do a Bio helmet for this Halloween. I have the pepakura program and have researched the resin and bondo that I can use on the pepakura design. I have found a lot of people use the foam caulk rods for dreads as I think that will be my best approach for the time constraints as well.

I am actually having my wife ship me a hot glue gun and some foam craft sheets so I can get my cannon started while I am here in Afghanistan for the last 2 months. I have also downloaded a ton of reference photos to assist me.

I was thinking of spraying my boots with the expanding foam and then modeling/sanding them to make feet. The issue I am having with this, is I am using my old 6 inch goth boots I used on my Gene Simmons Destroyer outfit. I am sure I can get it to work, It just getting the foam done to make sure half the sole is feet, the other half is built up armor and that the feet are proportionate to the rest of the outfit. I think the lift will add some much needed height as I am only 5'9".

Now for the armor, I have researched a few options, SINTRA seems to be the most lightweight and preferred method I have found, But I also found a video where a costumer uses the garage floor interlocking tiles and shapes them to his outfit. He uses templates of thick stock paper and cuts out the template on to the tiles. Then heats the tiles so they are more flexible to shape them. A little heavier, but gives great chance to cut designs onto the armor with a router or a dremel, as the are about 1/2 inch thick. I noticed VINMAN has posted a lot of templates and they look incredible. I believe I am leaning towards a combo of tiles and sintra for shoulder and thigh/calf armor.

The shoulder cannon is a big concern, as it may look corny. I want to mount it on a fake security cam mount that I have in the parts/junk box in my garage that scans back and forth constantly. I will have to see how that looks and if I want to take it off and have it stationary. The backpack may have to wait till after Halloween as again I am limited on time.

The accessories/weapons and gauntlets I am planning on sintra and craft foam, coated in latex and painted. I saw a video of an artist using an old DVD player to eject the blades. I will dig more into that if I have the time.

That is the plan so far, any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated. Of course, I will take pictures as I go to show and ask for advice on as well. Thanks for looking and good hunting!

Good luck with your build buddy, some awesome ideas you got going there.

I was actually in the middle of developing my own desert clan predator, I was going to nickname it 'the forgotten' my first edition is the Cobra Pred. As for the body suit, my original suit was and still is a material muscle suit painted using various colour schemes and paints. Actually, funny enough, I was re-painting mine and heres a tip for everyone doing a material (non latex suit) when it comes to painting invest in an airbrush - the dang thing was a life saver and allowed for my ease and control over the paint follow.

For armour, I used solely foamies for its construction - Sintra is rather difficult to get hold of in the UK. Foamies worked a treat for me.

Looking forward to seeing you progress pics, happy building

Last edited by a moderator:
I have three different skins--all are made from fabric Halloween muscle suits and plain ole ordinary spray paint.

My advice? Foamies. With enough foamies and enough glue, you can make absolutely anything. :p

If you look around here, you can find examples of foamies being made into everything you need---cannons, backpacks, armor, gauntlets. (Now that I think of it, I don't recall ever seeing a bio mask made from foamies . . . . although I'm sure there must be some. I did make one of my bio masks out of posterboard.)

If you want to see some ideas for armor, trophy necklaces, and such, I've done three complete budget builds, and you can see all three in my fan film here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP17UYBUPvE

The three preds all show up at the 6:10 mark. One set of armor is made from old car floormats, one is from a set of football shoulder pads, and one is mostly foamies.

First off, again thanks for all the advice and tips I have received in such a short time as a NOOB! I really am truely greatful.

So lets begin. I have decided I am going to do the spandex suit, as I have a spandex blue-man suit at home already. i was planning on stuffing the suit with paper to give it the full size I need. I was going to take some foam/cushions and cut out a "Mr Incredible"/ Predator type muscle design and attach it to the blue suit and then give it 8-10 coats of flesh colored liquid latex and let it cure for 24 hrs between coats. Then I was going to see about getting it painted, since I have no airbrush experience. I was leaning towards a desert type clan as I have not seen that here and want to have an original idea. I am thinking a simple paint scheme for now.

Due to time constraints, I am going to just do a Bio helmet for this Halloween. I have the pepakura program and have researched the resin and bondo that I can use on the pepakura design. I have found a lot of people use the foam caulk rods for dreads as I think that will be my best approach for the time constraints as well.

I am actually having my wife ship me a hot glue gun and some foam craft sheets so I can get my cannon started while I am here in Afghanistan for the last 2 months. I have also downloaded a ton of reference photos to assist me.

I was thinking of spraying my boots with the expanding foam and then modeling/sanding them to make feet. The issue I am having with this, is I am using my old 6 inch goth boots I used on my Gene Simmons Destroyer outfit. I am sure I can get it to work, It just getting the foam done to make sure half the sole is feet, the other half is built up armor and that the feet are proportionate to the rest of the outfit. I think the lift will add some much needed height as I am only 5'9".

Now for the armor, I have researched a few options, SINTRA seems to be the most lightweight and preferred method I have found, But I also found a video where a costumer uses the garage floor interlocking tiles and shapes them to his outfit. He uses templates of thick stock paper and cuts out the template on to the tiles. Then heats the tiles so they are more flexible to shape them. A little heavier, but gives great chance to cut designs onto the armor with a router or a dremel, as the are about 1/2 inch thick. I noticed VINMAN has posted a lot of templates and they look incredible. I believe I am leaning towards a combo of tiles and sintra for shoulder and thigh/calf armor.

The shoulder cannon is a big concern, as it may look corny. I want to mount it on a fake security cam mount that I have in the parts/junk box in my garage that scans back and forth constantly. I will have to see how that looks and if I want to take it off and have it stationary. The backpack may have to wait till after Halloween as again I am limited on time.

The accessories/weapons and gauntlets I am planning on sintra and craft foam, coated in latex and painted. I saw a video of an artist using an old DVD player to eject the blades. I will dig more into that if I have the time.

That is the plan so far, any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated. Of course, I will take pictures as I go to show and ask for advice on as well. Thanks for looking and good hunting!

the beauty of making a Predator suit is you plan one thing and in the middle of the whole process you find that you never even used any of the plans you made initially lol. I know because I am over half done with my build and found out during the whole process easier & better ways of doing it, and like Lflank says, "with foamies, you can make ANYTHING", Good luck on your build fellow Texan pred head and post pics asap, oh and God bless you and keep you safe over there and come back to Texas safe & sound

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back