My Beginners Vintage Graflex Builds & Now More! Heiland Vader Update

Heres a pic of my heiland conversion. I did not put time into it since i have mpps but i thought I'd show you for some motivation.

20200630_163214.jpg

Thanks! Looks real good.

I ordered a repro bubble on eBay and got the clamp from Roman's (went for all black) and got the switch and wires from WannaWanga. I had ordered T-tracks from Todd's as I wanted to see his compared to the WannaWanga ones I ordered for my ESB and ANH builds. So, I think I'll use those but I like the straight cut version, so I'm going to leave them that way. Biggest issue I'm running into is how to drill out the Heiland Shroud for the d-ring and also for the Kobold clip. I'll be using a green PCB from the Exactra too for under the bubble.

I'm 90% sure Roman's endcaps fit over heiland ends

I think it does as I believe Dustin tested it in his YouTube channel. I actually have an end cap with the knurling and a thread for mounting from another Heiland kit. The threading lines don’t match up, it’s a different more matte metallic color and the base isn’t black but I like the idea of it more than adding additional pieces. At a certain point, it seems like I should’ve just bought a replica MPP so if I can keep as many parts as vintage as possible then I’m going to stick with that. I’ve resigned myself to it not being accurate to a real vintage piece in any specific movie configuration but that means freedom to pull aspects from each version that I personally like to build my idealized version. Once I’m done with these builds I’ll post the details on that one.

As with anything I do with these I get nervous about installing anything.

Up now is Roy’s sleeve for the TFA build.

1A8AAA5A-E59C-4A61-85DB-B72FAA91DA1D.jpeg

After looking over the Graflex’s I’ve gotten over the last few weeks, I decided to just use the Two-Cell one that kicked this whole thing off for me as the TFA build. I’d rather keep the other Graflex’s together so pulling s Three-Cell bottom that kind of doesn’t match in finish age seems counterintuitive.

Even more so with the Two-Cell top it’s very clean and match’s a newer Romans base better.

When it came to Roy’s sleeve, I decided to rubber gloves it to protect the exterior as getting it into place was going to require hands being all over it bending and shaping.

The sheet is very thick and didn’t look or feel like it would wrinkle easily but I was still careful with it.

In fact it was so strong that I opted to start the required end bending with some help from pliers.

1E4878A1-964A-44B2-AC42-3391D3BBD919.jpeg

After getting a slight bend I used my hands to get them to the required 90 degrees.

4779DAAB-330E-4376-A5DD-3C039395159B.jpeg

Easy peasy.

D62AA370-5829-4462-A0B9-08195BDE34D2.jpeg

At first I thought I could try and slip them behind the clamp bolts but realized just taking the clamp apart was the easiest way.

1DF93C75-16BB-4DC3-8E1F-78E42E846370.jpeg

From there I used my trusty Frog Tape to hold the sleeve in place while I reattached they rails and screwed it down.

72178E87-6523-4628-995D-3A99768458D3.jpeg

This helped quite a bit as the metal is stiff and wants to spring back and the clamp lever mechanism is already cuddly enough as we all know.

All done!

FD75685A-428C-442A-B4A5-35E27DFF02D9.jpeg

I thought I was done but I realized the had filed down the glass eye knurling so that’s next but I’m nervous to do it without machinery as I’m not sure how even I can get it.

C218C871-D0ED-450E-B9EA-E1717F6FF0A4.jpeg

I have issues filing down a real graflex glass eye. Considering the st sabers are all repos just get a replica eye and keep the real one. Just .y 2 cents again.
I totally get that. I will say that I currently have two spare vintage eyes so If I need a knurled one at some point there's back up and I guess wanting to do what the production did is more inline with my ideas of how to proceed. Any particular reason for thinking not messing with a vintage eye other than it being vintage?

Well i believe the graflex in tfa was a repo. So they would have filled down a repo eye.

They are obviously not making real graflex eyes anymore but you still see graflexs on the market missing the eye. You file down that real eye and there's one more incomplete real graflex out there.

I can't tell you what to do. I have drilled out some of my graflexs for clips and grips. Even used a real graflex for my dv6. All way back in the day when i had a table full of graflexs and thought who cares. Now i do and personally will never alter an original again.

Well i believe the graflex in tfa was a repo. So they would have filled down a repo eye.

They are obviously not making real graflex eyes anymore but you still see graflexs on the market missing the eye. You file down that real eye and there's one more incomplete real graflex out there.

I can't tell you what to do. I have drilled out some of my graflexs for clips and grips. Even used a real graflex for my dv6. All way back in the day when i had a table full of graflexs and thought who cares. Now i do and personally will never alter an original again.

I though TFA was an original Graflex with the first repro being used in ROS?

I guess from my point of view, I'm already going to alter the Graflex's in hand with drilling etc, so I'm not entirely concerned about maintaining them exactly as they originally were. I also see the viewpoint that not a lot of stuff is 100% verified so maybe something new comes down the line and explodes established theory like the Elstree doc. Reading that thread I was struck by how many people had to re-drill their vintage kits and the kind of headache that put them in. It's something to consider.

I used to think it was a real graflex but i dont any more. Theres just some things i know the prop guys would not have done. But i could be wrong. I didn't work on that movie.

That's interesting. What would they not have done? I figgured that the way it got out Roman's Gen 2's were used in TRS maybe a similar thing would've been realized for the earlier films.

AFAIK The Force Awakens used a number of real Graflexes. The member/seller who provided the flashes to the production crew shared a photo of four of them to Sym-Cha. They're in the TFA Graflex Research thread.

AFAIK The Force Awakens used a number of real Graflexes. The member/seller who provided the flashes to the production crew shared a photo of four of them to Sym-Cha. They're in the TFA Graflex Research thread.
Thank you and i know the thread i just sill have some reservations on what actually shows up on screen.

That's interesting. What would they not have done? I figgured that the way it got out Roman's Gen 2's were used in TRS maybe a similar thing would've been realized for the earlier films.
Well you have some parts there from roy. They cover graflex on the clamp band and the bottom disc. At the time of tfa (and now still i think) you could get a blank graflex repo. I can't remember who made them but i know i saw them and thought to my self why would anyone want that. Any ways i doubt the prop guys would do what roy did when you could easily get a blank flash for cheaper than it would be to have one of there guys make those parts. And i say this cuz i know how much it cost for a guy to do something in the business. You gotta remember we are getting paid upwards of $50 an hour and most projects are at least a day or 2 if not more.

Also i know the production buyers are on ebay and the fx forum and here and face book looking at all the same stuff we are. I know that for a fact.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back