My Bandai Millennium Falcon PG Build...... Finished?

IMG_20200118_010437.jpg
IMG_20200118_010427.jpg
IMG_20200118_010442.jpg
IMG_20200118_010419.jpg

I had to paint and lacquer the landing gear first so it would be safe to stand the model on the gear... This tamiya paint is shockingly fragile.

Anyway I then make up the odd panels and started painting them. But I had to mix the paints twice as, when they dried. They got darker than what I was aiming for. Anyway... It's getting there. Still got to do the top side then the red panels. But I can't wait to dirty this thing up

something that is really annoying is i mix the colours correctly till they look about right but when they dry they end up several shades darker *grumbles

IMG_20200119_000937.jpg

So ive done the "yellow" panels on the topside, and yet again theyve darkened up into something way off what i was aiming for...

Anyone got any ideas why its happening? I even added extra white into the mix still didnt really seem to make any difference.

Im thinking i might make a super thin watery mixture of white, and give the whole model a light dusting just to reduce the contrast a little... Desaturate it a little...

What do you think?

IMG_20200120_001510.jpg

Yay the light dusting worked... I had to mix some airbrush medium in though as that watered down it could have me whipped off with a finger.... But whole medium will make it stronger it takes ages to dry... Might still be smudgeable in 24 hours... So can't do bottom side till then... Then I'll do red panels

The light dusting definitely looks better. Also, don't forget that weathering/filtering will also help tie them together

When mixing paints (I normally use Tamiya) I always do a test strip as the dried color can be a bit different than the wet, especially with different base colors

yeah Tamiya here too... i kinda did some swatching... but onto some card i have. Sometimes it comes up right bit i guess its also what your painting onto that affects the colour. But yes still some learning to do with airbrushing. Im more used to oil colours when it comes to painting :p What you see is what you get with oil.... :p

IMG_20200122_004425.jpg

Painted scratched panels back on... Used the water slide as reference... Not 100% perfectly accurate. But I think close enough I'm happy with it...

IMG_20200321_191340.jpg

IMG_20200321_191402.jpg

First pass of dirt paint.... using really thinned down paint and brushing on and wiping off... also using water to capilary the pigment into the cracks.... Only topside done... Need to do bottom side next.....

After that ill start air brushing smoke and scorch marks... then pain on more stains and rust and drips....

ITS FINISHED!

I think
But anyway Ive done all the water staining now and I think im done with this model... I cant think of much more to sort out. I still need to figure out a battery or power system... Im not going to leave this powered all the time but hay the option is there....

But if you can see anything obvious ive missed out let me know...

Ill do some proper photos tomorrow when the suns out... but for now, camera phone

IMG_20200326_184810.jpg
IMG_20200326_184835.jpg
IMG_20200326_184854.jpg
IMG_20200326_184919.jpg
IMG_20200326_184956.jpg
IMG_20200326_185035.jpg

I love how you painted the landing gear, the exhaust ports are perfectly weathered, most people seem to over do it. All around great work and a very fine looking piece of art.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back