My Arc Reactor

l330n

Well just wanted to share my arc reactor and how i made it. Ill show the finished product then couple short steps and pics on how i made it. I should have took pic of some of the parts before building, I just wasnt sure how it would turn out.
photo3.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

This was made pretty easy just took a while to wind the stupid copper wires and strip the speaker cable i had laying around. I started with a sink drain thingy (not sure what its called :behave) and i ripped out the middle part to leave a small hole for the center led. It also had holes all the way around perfect fit for 10 leds. Then i stacked a couple of washers as you can see on the picture here.
photo4.jpg

Then i shoved another washer over this little strainer mesh thing for sinks (again dont know what exactly to call it) and pushed it through to stick through the top, then glued that down to the washers. Next step was hardest part, i used 2 glue sticks and glued them together to form a circle, put black foamies around it with glue and wire around them. Thats it. Thought it came out decent. When you look straight at it the leds dont line up perfectly around the gaps of the copper but oh well. I imagine if your careful you can line them up. If fits perfecty into the mark 4 chest piece, i just wrapped some electrical tape around the outside couple times to make it tighter. Let me know what yall think. Ill get to posting my mk4 build later.

Looks great!

My personal thought is that it needs something extra, inside your glue stick ring, but outside the centre dome of mesh. Something that looks like the bolt holes/triwing arrangement. It shouldnt be too hard to cobble something together. Even a transparency printed on and cut out would work. I would also be tempted to put something over the centre LED to diffuse the light too. A circle of plastic cut from a milk jug or similar might work, or any other kind of frosted plastic.

ha, you beat me to the post, i just placed some semi transparent paper, like 6 layers and it looks much much better. About the center metal parts ill prob try to cut out something later, thanks for the picture, it will help.
photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

very clean! you're kind of subliminally advertising for Target :p interesting using glue sticks to diffuse the light. and i think its called a strainer

Thanks, I just glued both ends, heated each side and held it for while for it to dry. I ruined the first one but second came out great. I also advise putting the foamies and copper before making the round connection between the two glue sticks, it makes it easier to wrap it. And dont glue them to the glue stick, just foam to foam so you can slide them around to adjust them later.

. . . and super cheap to make! All i had to buy was the 2 strainers and couple of washer besides the leds which are cheap too, ebay. Had everything else laying around

Its just a large strainer like you use in kitchen sink, a mesh strainer for smaller sink for like restroom sinks, some different size washers like you see in one of the pictures, 2 glue sticks for the ring, LEDs, black foamies cut into small strips to go under some copper wire, and semi transparent paper cut into circles to place over the leds but under the mesh strainer to diffuse the light from the leds ( i think i used 6 stacked total). I think thats everything, besides a battery and the battery connecter. Oh and hot glue gun and or superglue to put everything together.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back