My Apollo Program Omega Watch

mrdaniel

Wanted to share this with you all. I am a HUGE nerd when it comes to the Apollo program of the 1960's and 1970's. This is an exact replica of the watch all the astronauts used, even on the moon! It is an Omega Speedmaster (replica) with a velcro strap. The strap is actually huge so you can wear it over a space suit, but when you aren't in the space suit you just wrap the extra strap around your wrist a few times. Let me know what you all think! Any other space geeks with me?

If anyone ever needs any Apollo information please let me know, I'd be happy to help!

242662_10150607178355506_659885505_18483087_1728513_o.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

Last edited:
Im actuall doing some research to see how practical it would be to make a "replica" of the later model suits (the ones on Apollo 15,16, and 17). Im using quotations since I need to be able to walk in it in 1G, so it would need to be closer to the training suits they work at KSC. If you have any good sources of info let me know.

Excellent job on the watch by they way. Care to share how you made it?

Hey DarkJefi1500,

So you are trying to make a A7LB? It's alot of material. The suits that went to the moon were 21 layers thick and weighed 185lbs, so you'll have to try and make yours light weight or start bulking up! This guy built a suit before might be able to help, he didn't return my emails but his pictures might help you:

Building an A7l replica Apollo Moon Suit

I have a couple hundred reference photos of spacesuits from Apollo. Hi-Res images of the ones in the Smithsonian if you're interested. Let me know if you need any questions, I'm happy to help!

Hey DarkJefi1500,

So you are trying to make a A7LB? It's alot of material. The suits that went to the moon were 21 layers thick and weighed 185lbs, so you'll have to try and make yours light weight or start bulking up! This guy built a suit before might be able to help, he didn't return my emails but his pictures might help you:

Building an A7l replica Apollo Moon Suit

I have a couple hundred reference photos of spacesuits from Apollo. Hi-Res images of the ones in the Smithsonian if you're interested. Let me know if you need any questions, I'm happy to help!

It's a thought at the moment. While the ones that went to the moon weigh over 250 pounds including life support, a lighter analog was used for earth based training to allow the crew to learn the mobility in 1G, which is more where I would be going. In other words the exterior would look correct but the inner suit would be designed so I could walk around. Again, it is just research at this point, which at the moment is leaning twoard this being somewhat unrealistic.

Thanks for the links!

I know someone who built a PLSS and he used canvass inplace of betacloth. Looked pretty good if you ask me. Are you going to machine the connections out of aluminum? That would look amazing!

Nice watch! Always wanted an Omega Speedmaster. I prefer fabric bands to metal, anyways.

Minor space geek here. Amateur watch geek, too.

You heard the story of how they selected the Omegas?

The specs on that 'replica' watch actually sound really nice. Have you opened it up to see if they're true?

Were the moon watches hand-wound or automatics?

Also, very minor point of very humble constructive "criticism" : IIRC, the Apollo Speedmasters had "Hesalite" crystals. Not glass and not sapphire. They were a hard plastic. I'm guessing that their tiny amount of flexibility (compared to glass or sapphire) is what helped them pass the Nasa tests.

Nice watch, no matter what.

-Mike J.

Oh yeah I've heard the stories of how they selected the watch. Omega makes an amazing watch! Far better than Rolex in my own opinion. The watches they brought to the moon all were hand-wound. The replica watch I own is alright, not the real one, which I will own one day! The replica does not have the Omega symbol as well as it does have numbers for the seconds, something the authentic one does not have. Also it acts like a fake, drifts out of time till you have to wind it every two days, even though its an automatic. Other than the "fake" factor it is a very good watch!

Thats fantastic mrdaniel, i just showed the GF my Christmas present, thanks for shareing.
Heres a thread on Apollo 13 if your interested.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/apollo-13-mission-movie-small-collection-105500/

Can you tell me anything about this cap? I didnt get any history from the seller other than it was his grandfathers. I know it is an original era Harvard cap worn by the returning astronauts and those closely involved but i cant find anything on this version cap. Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 67294

Cheers,
Tim.

You know Tim that is a tough one. I can tell you it isn't a crew hat, those have the astronauts name on it know that as well as golden leafs on the bill of the hat. I've never seen another hat other than theirs. I have to be honest and say I don't know too much about this hat. My first guess was it was an extras hat from the movie, but upon watching the scene I saw no hats. I did look for some pictures from that day on the USS Iwo Jima, there are only 3 floating on the internet, and I can't find any trace of this hat. If I ever find out anything about your hat I will sure to let you know! There are a ton of space forums out there, here is one that is popular

collectSPACE: Messages - space history, space memorabilia, space artifacts, and space collectibles

Good luck!

Daniel

Sweet idea man!

There's a museum in Wichita that has a ton of space stuff, including a bunch of watches

4547092476_535f075ef4_z.jpg

Heres a link to the album if you want more: Wichita Cosmosphere - a set on Flickr

But yeah, I dig the space stuff. I also dig silly things like putting a $1 band on a $$$$$$ watch!

While I was always kind of partial to Seamasters (due purely to their water resistance), gotta love the look and heritage of the Speedmasters...

That's an inspired piece of replica historical hardware mrdaniel, and has been added to by birthday list for 7 weeks time. Can't wait!!

You know Tim that is a tough one. I can tell you it isn't a crew hat, those have the astronauts name on it know that as well as golden leafs on the bill of the hat. I've never seen another hat other than theirs. I have to be honest and say I don't know too much about this hat. My first guess was it was an extras hat from the movie, but upon watching the scene I saw no hats. I did look for some pictures from that day on the USS Iwo Jima, there are only 3 floating on the internet, and I can't find any trace of this hat. If I ever find out anything about your hat I will sure to let you know! There are a ton of space forums out there, here is one that is popular

collectSPACE: Messages - space history, space memorabilia, space artifacts, and space collectibles

Good luck!

Daniel

Thanks very much anyway Daniel, your thread made my week. Will try the USS Iwo Jima historical society again.

Couldnt wait for Christmas, just bought one and a strap.

Even if I don't like the idea of buying replica watch... :unsure

When I get mine, I had a some paperworks from Omega, and a nice newspaper !
If you like the idea (and I am sure that micadavis and Larry Young might like it), I think that a member here with great skills - and if he wants to - might make and sell you the newspaper if I send him the scans.

img1230dy.jpg

img1232be.jpg

img1233s.jpg

img1234d.jpg

img1235k.jpg

img1236xy.jpg

img1237jw.jpg

img1238no.jpg

img1239f.jpg

img1240mc.jpg

img1241df.jpg

"We choose to go to the moon, and do the other things, not because they are easy but because they are hard."

"Here men from planet Earth first set foot upon the Moon. July 1969 A.D. We came in peace for all Mankind."

"Here Man completed his first explorations of the Moon. December 1972 A.D. May the spirit of peace in which we came be reflected in the lives of all Mankind."

Great to see those repro straps!

Here's a photo of my authentic Speedmaster (c. 1990) with the cal. 861 movement The "moon watches" were most likely all Speedys with the ca. 321 movement.

speedy.JPG

Beautiful watch you have there Tim! Magnificent watches, I'd say one of the best looking watches out there. I'd rather spend my money on a Speedmaster than any Rolex anyday. I know the Speedmasters today are going for around 3,500, what was the going price in 1990? You must take care of it, looks great for one year older than me! ha

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back