My A7L apollo space suit

chameloon

OK, let's make a post...please bear with me and not so frequent updates. I've been on and off this project for over a year, trying to find the way to engineer things and solve problems to give the suit volume, hook the backpack to the suit without pulling it up...

All started with a suit bought on Ebay...everything was off, dimensions, pockets... but connectors and helmet look nice, so I'll keep them and re-do the rest.

Then time to ask help from my mother for the sewing. Lot of pictures and documentations were needed to get the most accurate suit:

And here is the final result, minus the patches:

In the meantime I worked on the PLSS, using NASA blueprints for dimensions:

And the RCU:

I had to carve the buttons out of wood:

Before making casts: with "aluminium powder-loaded" resin. Once sanded, it gives a nice aluminium finish...

Here is a first prototype of the OPS lever that has been 3D printed then painted:

And the camera hook in front of the RCU:

I now have all the parts done for the RCU, I will work on the cloth cover before assembling it.

In the meantime, I worked on the "filling of the suit".Took me months to find the right solution for me. I wanted a half rigid, easilly removable option...so I made an inner armour in EVA foam (that will soon be covered with a layer of padding, to cut the angles and give more "natural" volume). The padded shoulder pads have a velcro stripe on the inner side, that link the arms and the torso, still allowing movement. I'm now working on the wrist parts...that will be attached by velcro as well to the suit's wrist section.

I know my step by step looks messy, working on all the parts at once, with none 100% finished...but I will update as soon as I progress. I will now focus on the suit itself. Adding the connectors, giving volume to the legs, installing an inner harness to support the weight of the PLSS (all its weight will land on one single ring on the torso)... Well, a lot of work ahead of me, and I go very slowly... But I will keep you updated!

I love your fix to the 'deflated' look that these off the shelf copies have. I always thought you could use one of those anti-mosquito suits they used to use in Alaska in the summertime, which wouldn't get you too hot, but this bent sheet plastic looks great as well.

Still in progress, I'm a bit behind schedule for the OPS building, so in the meantime I started weathering the suit:
P_20151108_134532.jpg
P_20151108_134555.jpg

Im a noob. What are those red and blue things called? I know there connectors for tubes but they must have a NASA name.

Looks very good. The connectors are know as PLSS disconnects and they are for- O2 (Oxygen), Water (cooling) and electrical. Red is O2 in, Blue is O2 out or water (the one opposite the electrical connector).

You mentioned that the original suit and helmet were purchased from Ebay. Can you tell us what company they came from? Any chance of a picture or two of their helmet showing various views and possibly the inside? Looking to buy a helmet and finding very few detailed pictures from the few people selling them. Your suit is looking great. Anxious to see it all come together. Thanks.

You can find it easilly by typing "apollo spacesuit" (highest price first)...As far as I know there is only one seller. That is damn hard to reach by the way. Just keep in mind it is very inaccurate...I had to redo almost everything.
Here are view of the helmet that looks pretty OK (I didn't work on it yet to enhance it):
tnlPjMZ.jpg

And a little update on the PLSS/OPS. Almost complete. WIll have to work on labels, weathering... Slowly getting there...
QxPFRIv.jpg

Thanks for the additional pictures of the helmet. Your PLSS is looking really great.
Going to first put myself together a basic (cheap) suit and helmet for an event this Summer, with the hopes of a more accurate suit to follow. Priorities will have my emphasis on the conversion of a golf cart into a 3/4 scale, operable electric Lunar rover...I'll be sure to post pictures of that build here on the RPF. Again, impressive work on your suit.

You can find it easilly by typing "apollo spacesuit" (highest price first)...As far as I know there is only one seller. That is damn hard to reach by the way. Just keep in mind it is very inaccurate...I had to redo almost everything.
Here are view of the helmet that looks pretty OK (I didn't work on it yet to enhance it):
http://i.imgur.com/tnlPjMZ.jpg

And a little update on the PLSS/OPS. Almost complete. WIll have to work on labels, weathering... Slowly getting there...
http://i.imgur.com/QxPFRIv.jpg

I got the same suit, threw away the PLSS (after saving the fabric) and started making upgrades. Do you have the ability to make another OPS lever?

To keep cool, I made a vest with pockets on the outside. I filled the pockets with reusable gel ice packs.

You're making Al Bean's suit from Apollo 12? SO COOL!
He's a really great guy in real life, heck he called me a while back on a project I had written to him for an opinion. You can't imagine my surprise when the phone rang and my wife and answered, held the phone to her hand and asked, "It's someone named Al Bean, you wanna talk to him?"
Great call. I hadn't used the word, "Sir" as many times in a call since I was still an Army captain.
Yes, I geeked out and took this photo afterward:
1117132102-1.jpg

Yes, I'm making A. Bean's suit from Apollo 12. He's my favorite moonwalker, so it is a way to pay him homage, in a way...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back