MPC Millennium Falcon Conversion

I added the styrene struts and tank skirt replacement parts to the right hand mandible

tumblr_mtjhj8LsWI1sf4tb1o1_500.jpg

Glued in the sidewall to the left side mandible

tumblr_mtjhj8LsWI1sf4tb1o2_500.jpg

Built the mandible inner wall

tumblr_mtjhj8LsWI1sf4tb1o3_500.jpg

tumblr_mtjhj8LsWI1sf4tb1o4_500.jpg

Just seeing how it's shaping up; not too bad so far, not sure how I'm going to reduce the hole size though :unsure

tumblr_mtjhj8LsWI1sf4tb1o6_500.jpg

tumblr_mtjhj8LsWI1sf4tb1o5_500.jpg

And to think I offered you parts and looks like you are managing with what you have and what other people are providing, I am coming short due yo not going near my falcon, till I actualy start it I dont know what parts I wil/might use.

Try making new holes in sheet styrene, then glue to bottom of existing hole obviously make the part bigger so you can glue to underside, when dry or dry enough, glue styrene cut full size of original hole into the original part from top.when dry flipnover so you see your new hole and scribe/cut out that hole into the blank styrene in the kit part.file and sand!
:)

I think the MPC Falcon looks great with some work and care, and you're doing a fine job. And kudos for building up the greeblies yourself :thumbsup

Instead of constantly priming to check progress, try taking a picture and view it in black and white, this should reduce the distraction of the different colored bits.

Attachments

• tumblr_mseszsHa2e1sf4tb1o2_500.jpg
    tumblr_mseszsHa2e1sf4tb1o2_500.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 335
  • tumblr_mseszsHa2e1sf4tb1o2_500bw.jpg
    tumblr_mseszsHa2e1sf4tb1o2_500bw.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 231
I think the MPC Falcon looks great with some work and care, and you're doing a fine job. And kudos for building up the greeblies yourself :thumbsup

Instead of constantly priming to check progress, try taking a picture and view it in black and white, this should reduce the distraction of the different colored bits.

Ah!! Thank you wow, these things just slap you in the face with their obviousness as soon as someone points them out! I'll definitely be doing that from now on, should save me some paint too.

Wow! You've sure taken this old beast to a whole new level. The amount of work you've put in is staggering... and exactly the reason why I couldn't commit to trying to accurize my old MPC kit.

Cheers.

Wow! You've sure taken this old beast to a whole new level. The amount of work you've put in is staggering... and exactly the reason why I couldn't commit to trying to accurize my old MPC kit.

Cheers.

I agree, the work is fantastic, and as we have seen you've reconsidered your previous decisions and improved on them, she's gonna be a showpiece
J

Started fiddling with the jawbox, in the end I gave up and chopped it off. I'll build it up from scratch instead, gives me some more control over it at least

tumblr_mtw74bWwIw1sf4tb1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mtw74bWwIw1sf4tb1o3_500.jpg

tumblr_mtw74bWwIw1sf4tb1o2_500.jpg

tumblr_mtw74bWwIw1sf4tb1o4_500.jpg

The new styrene sheet IS angled, it goes from 53mm down to 43mm but it's not very apparent in these photos. It's 160mm long, and will be slightly longer once the angled plates are all added in.

This coming week I'm going to try and start a metal frame structure for this all to sit on, it's all very flimsy at the moment.

So your just doing it by eye and guesstimate with no blueprint?
:)

Haha yeah, which is why I went through through 3 versions before I finally came up with this

tumblr_mtwo3aDMuM1sf4tb1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mtwo3aDMuM1sf4tb1o2_500.jpg

tumblr_mtwo3aDMuM1sf4tb1o3_500.jpg

tumblr_mtwo3aDMuM1sf4tb1o4_500.jpg

It's 52mm at the top, sloping down to 40mm at the front. I spent the entire day poring over photos of the 32" model, the FM, Jaitea's MPC, and the 5'.

Just did a quick measurement of my adjusted jaw.....the top raised part starts off at 56mm sloping down to 40

measurements.jpg

Yours looks spot on

J

Hmmm well mine is pretty darn close for an eyeball job at least. I'm only a couple of mm out in each direction...I think I'll leave it though, I'm not going to start fussing about 2mm here and there

No thats not what I mean, you're measurements came in as almost the same as mine!...nice 1

Are you going to try and use the original part for detailing?

J

No thats not what I mean, you're measurements came in as almost the same as mine!...nice 1

Are you going to try and use the original part for detailing?

J

Probably not, I've been looking at 32" scratchbuilds and seeing how they did theirs, I'm fairly certain I can pull off a completely scratched jawbox

Starting detailing the jawbox; cut out a hole for the vent casting and mounted it underneath. It's too far forward, and I'm not bothered about it right now but knowing me I'll go back and redo it all later

tumblr_mu5web7cGN1sf4tb1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mu5web7cGN1sf4tb1o2_500.jpg

Starting detailing with 0.5mm metal wire

tumblr_mu5web7cGN1sf4tb1o3_500.jpg

In comparison to the MPC part; probably the darn finest piece of scratch building I ever did dooo

tumblr_mu5web7cGN1sf4tb1o4_500.jpg

Primed up the jawbox

tumblr_mu7diahNX71sf4tb1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mu7diahNX71sf4tb1o2_500.jpg

Needs a little more detail on, but I'm pleased as punch with it.

I also scored a fantastic set of parts today; the model store I go to has 4 big plastic boxes full of old, damaged, returned, imcomplete etc kits and resin casts. I spent a while looking through them and came out with a great bunch of bits.

tumblr_mu7diahNX71sf4tb1o3_500.jpg

Some of the detailed resin bits

tumblr_mu7diahNX71sf4tb1o4_500.jpg

Started on the open panels

tumblr_mu7diahNX71sf4tb1o5_500.jpg

tumblr_mu7diahNX71sf4tb1o6_500.jpg

Pretty snazzy I'd say

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back