Mould Tutorial?

Ramirez

I did a forum search but couldn't find what i was looking for.

Now we have a designated forum for this, does anyone have a tutorial for moulding busts/masks which can be stickied at the top of the page?

In the past i've only done it for heads up to 1:6 scale, which is a very different process.

I want to do some 1:1 heads but don't think my 1:6 methods will workout the same way and the process is never really explained in the various bust/mask making threads, which doesn't help us that are new to the area.

Someone told me there was a dvd out there but i've never been able to get one.
You tube is no good as i no longer have sound on my PC.

Last edited:
When I used to make latext masks I used to sculpt onto a polystyrene wig former. That way I was able to make a one piece plaster mould because when the mould was done, I could turn the whole thing over, pour acetone onto the wig former and it would dissolve to nothing, giving me room to dig out the clay.

Last edited:
I need to the know the details of how to make the moulds, the rest is relatively simple.

In previous threads, there have been pictures but no explanations of the moulding process.
It's alot easier for me to understand when it's written down.

Video tutuorials are no good for me, i can't hear the sound.

Besides, if i'm arm deep in crud how can i keep starting and stopping the player without getting everything else covered in it?

Last edited:
Besides, if i'm arm deep in crud how can i keep starting and stopping the player without getting everything else covered in it?

When you are making the mold, you should have enough of an understanding of the process to where you won't need to look at every step. It will make it MUCH easier if you think through and plan what you are going to be molding and understand what you need to do, as opposed to rushing headlong into the mold.

That being said, there is no better teacher than experience. You might want to test out some mold making techniques on a smaller scale to get a feel of the material you are working with. It would be terrible if you messed up the mold (which can happen to everyone unfortunately) and the sculpt was destroyed too.

is it a life cast or a prop bust you are casting?
I want to enlarge some 1:6 scale heads to 1:1 to display on mannequins.

The smooth-on vids dont require sound, the only sound on the ones I've seen is some sort of elevator music anyway, the instructions are on screen.
For example: How to Make a Brush-On Rubber Mold of a Bust | Mold Making Tips - YouTube

If your not using their product just ignore the mix ratio's but the rest is very usefull without sound.
There are other vids aswell.
HTH :)

EDIT: This is quite a good one: Making a Brush-On Silicone Mold | Mold Making Tutorials, Part 1/2 - YouTube
Thanks for the links.
I use smooth on products to make my 1:6 moulds, so i'm used to working with them but the whole process for 1:1 moulds is completely different.

When you are making the mold, you should have enough of an understanding of the process to where you won't need to look at every step. It will make it MUCH easier if you think through and plan what you are going to be molding and understand what you need to do, as opposed to rushing headlong into the mold.

That being said, there is no better teacher than experience. You might want to test out some mold making techniques on a smaller scale to get a feel of the material you are working with. It would be terrible if you messed up the mold (which can happen to everyone unfortunately) and the sculpt was destroyed too.
With moulding 1:6 heads it's a lot easier, put it in a cup and cover with mould material, when it's set take out of cup and remove sculpt.

Last edited:
I need to the know the details of how to make the moulds, the rest is relatively simple.

In previous threads, there have been pictures but no explanations of the moulding process.
It's alot easier for me to understand when it's written down.

Video tutuorials are no good for me, i can't hear the sound.

Smoothon website videos are subtitled they dont talk

I dont understand? the first link I posted for you Here: How to Make a Brush-On Rubber Mold of a Bust | Mold Making Tips - YouTube is using the brush on technique on a full size 1:1 bust so should be just what youi need??

Moulding 1:6 heads is different.

i use vytaflex which is a 2 part rubber and you pour it over the item to be moulded,when it's set, take the item out, job done.

http://www.megomadhouse.com/howto_moldmaking.html

1:1 moulding looks very time consuming and expensive ( what with all the different materials ) in comparison.

Last edited:
1:1 moulding looks very time consuming and expensive ( what with all the different materials ) in comparison.

I recently made a mold with "cheap" materials, and I think I spent about as much on those materials because of the amount of materials needed, along with problems and screwups inherent to using an inferior product, as I would have just buying one batch of smooth-on products and doing it right.

This tutorial is pretty much the same as the one Leigh posted. I believe it's made by RPF member Stormtrooperguy. Both are very straight forward, easy to understand. If you're worried because you haven't made a large scale, 1:1 head mold before, don't worry about it too much. I've wasted a ton of money "learning" with my screw ups, and as long as you don't mess up your master you can always start over. But I've found it's pretty hard to screw up a mold by doing anything less than not mixing thoroughly.

Deathwatch Helmet Mold - YouTube

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back