Most iconic car in history

No, hold on. You're trying to say that you feel most people on planet earth would recognize THIS car over the Batmobile or the Delorian or the Ghostbusters car?!
Look, I'm not trying to single you out but half of the people on this thread have completely ignored the point of this thread and are just posting THEIR favorite cars.

I see your point! Hard to say from a worldwide point of view but it's definitely my personal vote. Maybe the jag is more notorious/popular in Europe or countries other than the USA? For instance Elon Musk had once said the only gasoline powered car that he has left in his garage is a '61 E-Type.

I would say the Batmobile, globally and also across generations. Show my Mom the Delorean from BTTF, The A Team van, KITT, etc. she would be hard pressed to tell you what they are. Show her the Batmobile she knows it. By the way my Mom is 79 years old for reference.

I would say the Batmobile, globally and also across generations. Show my Mom the Delorean from BTTF, The A Team van, KITT, etc. she would be hard pressed to tell you what they are. Show her the Batmobile she knows it. By the way my Mom is 79 years old for reference.

Not the first time I've heard this.
I believe I have my answer. By most counts, the '66 Batmobile it is.

For me its the BTTF DeLorean and the 89 Batmobile.

35468999ag.jpg

35469048xt.jpg

For me it's the Volkswagen Beetle and the Delorean. Any classic beetle is instantly recognizable and a LOT of people have stories about them. The Delorean, well, it's in one of the best movies ever made.
1182394.jpg

back-to-the-future_f912bd.jpg

What? No love for the freaky no-so-futuristic cars and Vacendak's armored vehicle from FREEJACK??? ;)

FREEJACK FTW! Emilio! Emilio! :D

Other vehicles that rule

Aston Martin V8 Vantage Volante from The Living Daylights (My favorite Bond car)

Lotus Esprit from The Spy Who Love Me (My second favorite Bond car)\

'77 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am from Smokey and the Bandit

Star Car from The Last Starfighter

For me it's the Volkswagen Beetle and the Delorean. Any classic beetle is instantly recognizable and a LOT of people have stories about them. The Delorean, well, it's in one of the best movies ever made.
View attachment 1008415
View attachment 1008416
The difference here is that the Volkswagen Beetle is known around the world for being a Volkswagen Beetle. If it weren't for the Back to the Future movies I'm convinced the DeLorean would have faded into obscurity in automotive history because it's really a terrible car.

The difference here is that the Volkswagen Beetle is known around the world for being a Volkswagen Beetle. If it weren't for the Back to the Future movies I'm convinced the DeLorean would have faded into obscurity in automotive history because it's really a terrible car.

Easy, now.
The Delorean is right up there with the Pantera.

I'm convinced the DeLorean would have faded into obscurity in automotive history because it's really a terrible car.
From an aesthetic design perspective, I’d have to disagree, because if one looks at it compared to Ferraris/Porsches of the early 80s, the stainless steel and gullwing design really help set it apart from the rest. However, from a mechanical design perspective, the vehicle is seriously maligned. Unless you plan on lowering it to the original design specifications (where it actually handles very well for an 80s exotic), installing an adequate alternator, and swapping out the anemic PRV V6 that the Alpine A310 also got stuck with, the DMC-12 is definitely terrible.
Easy, now.
Without its BTTF status, I’d argue the De Tomaso is a better car than the DMC from a mechanical standpoint, as it had the Cleveland 351 (both the US and Australian versions at different times) and a decent mid-engine design. However, the quality on the fit and finish was horrifying with all that body solder. I also don’t think the aesthetic design is very unique on the Pantera, as it seemed to follow the lead of the Countach/512 Berlinetta Boxer

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong - I love Panteras.
But when I was a scout, one of my den masters had one.
We got to ride in it ONCE.
The rest of the time it was in pieces in his driveway.
Another den master had a '63 Stingray.
We took that little beauty EVERYWHERE.
'Cause it worked.

(Gasp) Blasphemy! You are definitely not going back in time with Doc Brown on his next original Schlitz beer run! :p

I knew I was gonna' take some flak for that comment. Happy to see youse guys didn't disappoint!

Easy, now.
I've never driven a Pantera, but I have driven a DeLorean. Cramped interior, useless little window, uncomfortable seats, and no faster than your average Ford Pinto. I had more fun driving my '61 Beetle.

From an aesthetic design perspective, I’d have to disagree, because if one looks at it compared to Ferraris/Porsches of the early 80s, the stainless steel and gullwing design really help set it apart from the rest. However, from a mechanical design perspective, the vehicle is seriously maligned. Unless you plan on lowering it to the original design specifications (where it actually handles very well for an 80s exotic), installing an adequate alternator, and swapping out the anemic PRV V6 that the Alpine A310 also got stuck with, the DMC-12 is definitely terrible.
I can't disagree. The DeLorean looks good, but that's really all it has going for it; see above comments. Gull wing doors look great, but if you're a tall person they're a pain in the ass and make getting into and out of any car more difficult than it needs to be. I have to admit they do corner well due to the low center of gravity, but it's difficult to truly appreciate that quality if you're just putting around town.

but if you're a tall person they're a pain in the ass and make getting into and out of any car more difficult than it needs to be.
That’s pretty ironic when you consider John Z. was 193cm tall (6 feet 4 inches), and a concave section in the door’s headliner allowed him to sit comfortably inside the vehicle. Unlike many smaller owners who had to have a leather strap to pull down the doors, Delorean was able to actually grab the door handle and pull the door down himself. So if anything, the car was designed with tall drivers in mind. No word on how he felt about climbing in, however.

A guy actually managed to cram a Dodge HEMI into a DeLorean and brought it to a car show not far away one several years back. I don't think that particular DeLorean lacked power.... :D

I'm 6'2" and once looked at one to possibly buy ($18k with only 42K miles on it), but the car lacked a tilt steering wheel and I couldn't get my leg under the damn steering wheel to even sit in it. It looked like it had lots of leg room and probably headroom with the door headliner, but my fat leg didn't want to go under that steering wheel at all. Yeah, the window sucked.

It's such a cool looking car, though. It reminded me of the Lotus Esprit I first saw in The Spy Who Loved Me, but with Pantera style gull-wing doors. There were a couple of turbo-charged version prototypes toward the end and if the company hadn't gone out of business, I get the feeling they would/could have addressed the car's shortcomings in an updated model, but we'll never know.

That’s pretty ironic when you consider John Z. was 193cm tall (6 feet 4 inches), and a concave section in the door’s headliner allowed him to sit comfortably inside the vehicle. Unlike many smaller owners who had to have a leather strap to pull down the doors, Delorean was able to actually grab the door handle and pull the door down himself. So if anything, the car was designed with tall drivers in mind. No word on how he felt about climbing in, however.
Interesting. I was 6'2" at the time I drove it, and I remember having to duck to avoid hitting my head on the open door while getting in and out. And once the door was closed there was very little elbow room. Other than that... :D

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back