Moses's Replicas and other stuff (56K WARNING!!!!)

Hey Moses
Beautifull work My questions are what is the 3d rendering program you are useing is it for PC or mac in doing what I do i see I to need to learn to run some type of 3d drawing program any help on this would be cool shoot me a pm off board if you want also should you need any help with casting or mould making shoot me a note and again Great work very clean.
Take care Jerry

Hey guys, I'm back. And I've got a new project, or rather I should say a project I've wanted to do I'm finally working on. I'm a bit into it actually but I didn't want to post anything about it until I was sure I was going to seriously work on it. After making most of the fingers and buying a square foot sheet at 1/8in thick of solid copper I'm pretty sure I'm going through with it all the way :D.

On to the nitty gritty. I'm making Wraithguard from Elder Scrolls III Morrowind (never coulda guessed that eh?). I never actually got around to it because I originally wanted to make it from polycarbonate like most my other things and, long story short, I had no feesible way of forming the plastic without compromising the plastic both structurally and visually even if the forming went perfectly.

Here's an album on my photobucket containing some renders of my 3d model of it that has been modified and sized to fit my arm and hand. There's also a picture of what Wraithguard looks like directly from ingame Morrowind. The white lines are outlines of details. I'm trying to decipher the surface topology since the original texture is very blurry and incoherent.

http://s1151.beta.photobucket.com/user/MosesofEgypt/library/Wraithguard/Refs and Blueprints

After pondering for a while I came to the conclusion that I might be able to make it from solid copper instead. It won't require any sort of paint to get the look I want, it will be the most durable and badass prop I have ever made, I done have to worry about 4 days of necessary prep work for ONE SINGLE HEAT FORMING, and I will finally be getting into metalworking like I've wanted to for a while.

This is the point where you can follow along in my photobucket album. Everything in it is in order from newest at the top to oldest at the bottom.

Progress pictures by MosesofEgypt - Photobucket

My dad already works with copper and was happy to lend me his blowtorch so I could experiment and test. He gave me some scrap pieces of 1/8in copper plate which I proceeded to experiment on with his propane blowtorch, heavy antique forming hammer, and my small anvil. I was able to put some nice sharp bends in the piece so he stepped me up to 1/4in thick at my request.

I could barely do anything to this sucker. It was too damn hard and the propane fueled blowtorch was not turning it into taffy like I had hoped. My dad told me that MAPP gas might get hot enough to bend 1/4in so I took a look into it. It gets about 3x hotter than propane and will actually melt copper if held to it long enough.

Went out, bought a mapp gas blowtorch with a spare canister, tried it out, and was able to put a nice 90 degree bend in the 1/4in piece. This was done using only the hammer on a 15 pound anvil which, at the time wasn't mounted to anything so it would bounce around.

I also had the idea that I might be able to make a wooden mold to form the copper over for the larger complex surface parts like the back of the hand and back of the forearm. Since it's actually quite difficult to ignite solid wood without a large active flame this is possible to an extent. I was able to heat the copper up with the PROPANE torch and form it over a piece of wood with no issues other than a little discoloring of the wood. The mapp gas torch however, got the copper hot enough to instantanously set the wood aflame in the half a second the copper was touching. It managed to burn a visible crater in the wood.

That idea is out the window and as of right now the only viable replacement idea I have is to make a mold from pourable concrete >_>.

So after all this testing I was ready to start making parts. I took the largest scrap pieces of copper my dad gave me, HEAVILY zip tied my anvil to the railing of the outside deck, and started drawing the 1/8in pieces out to about 1/16in, making them a fair bit larger as well. All the finger armor pieces will be 1/16in thick wheras the handplate, forearm side wings, and forearm underside are all 1/8in thick and the spike bridge over the knuckles as well as the largest piece on the back of the forearm are 1/4in thick.

After I had sheets the right thickness I needed I started figuring out measurements, outlining the parts on the sheets, cut them out with my dremel, and started bending them into shape.

The middle fingertip is pretty much done, I've just gotta fold it up. The pinky tip is needing to be cut out and folded so it's not as close. I took that 1/4in thick piece of copper I was testing with and flattened it out to about 1/16in like the rest of the pieces. It will be the thumb tip. The bar in which part of it's been drawn out will be the middle and lower sections of the pinky as well as the thumbs lower piece. The first fingertip piece I made didn't turn out that great and I had to modify it to get the current thumb tip design I'm using. Unfortunately, the constant folding/unfolding/cutting/refolding/unfolding has caused the first thumb tip I made to start to break down and become scrap. I've got enough copper to finish the fingers as long as I don't eff up again. Wish me luck lol.

Last edited:
Well I'm finished with the finger plates so this will be the last update for a little while. I need to sort a few things out with the next few pieces I'll be making, especially since I've finished up the last 1/16in thick pieces and the next ones I'll be working with I'll be stepping up to 1/8in thick copper. I've also decided to use small copper rivets to attach the finger plates to the glove. I also need to be very careful with how I position all the pieces on 12in x 12in x 1/8in copper plate since one significant mistake means I'll need to spend another 97$ for a new one. I might not even have enough room to fit everything on this plate and might have to order a new one anyway or change some things in the designs.

I also bought an antique planishing hammer where both the hammer faces were curved like the side of a cylinder, only the outline of one of the faces was a square and the other was a circle. Since that seemed kinda pointless I reground the circular one into a shallow dome to use in making the dome on the back of Wraithguard's hand plate. I also gave the hammer a nice cleanup, polishing, cut out the old owners name and carved mine in it.

Lastly, I'm going to be actively searching for a job tomorrow so Wraithguard will be on the backburner. Idk how long.

Anyway, here's what you all want, pics or gtfo.

Progress :: 05WraithguardFingersFinished01_zps9ad6f9ed.jpg picture by MosesofEgypt - Photobucket
Progress :: 05WraithguardFingersFinished02_zps57fb6ac1.jpg picture by MosesofEgypt - Photobucket
Progress :: 05WraithguardFingersFinished03_zps751162a7.jpg picture by MosesofEgypt - Photobucket
Progress :: 05WraithguardFingersFinished04_zps20933c4a.jpg picture by MosesofEgypt - Photobucket

Okay so what I said about Wraithguard being on the backburner was a bit incorrect. The day after I typed that my dad came home with a quarter inch thick bar of copper big enough to make the spike guard out of. So I've worked on that a bit over this last week and just finished it today. This is the actual point that Wraithguard is going to be on the backburner.

I've got a handful of pics added to my photobucket so check it out here.

Progress pictures by MosesofEgypt - Photobucket

Feedback and comments would be appreciated.

Small update without pics.

I've managed to finish drawing up the details to engrave on Wraithguard. The ones on the main body of it are traced and brought out more clearly from the actual model's texture. I had to do some improvising near the wrist, but it's turned out to my liking. The handplate's texture however, was so low quality and fuzzy that I couldn't decipher any of the details, so I made my own. Don't worry though, they look good and are similar enough that a stickler-for-accuracy like myself is fine with them.

I've decided to make the shell out of 1/8in thick copper sheet instead of 1/4in. This will save me about 70$, will weigh MUCH less, and will be A TON easier to work with. The main reason I chose 1/4in originally is because I wanted the details to be deep enough to be seen from a distance and felt running your hand over them while still being thick enough to be durable. After making the spike guard I've realized that I can get the results I want with only 1/8in thick, leaving no valid reason for me to stick with 1/4in.

Finally, I've taken a stab at working some more on the goblet. I've got all the outlines done and I carved the second of 4 sides just now. I might work some more on it soon. It took about an hour to carve that one side so I'm doing it one side at a time.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HOUSE DAGOTH GOBLET IS COMPLETED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've still got some things to work out, but for the most part the way it looks now is how it will stay. I've still got some tests to do involving painting a test piece of cardstock paper with the paint, dust it with the patina, and then test to see how 3 coats of shellac look on it. If it doesn't appear to my liking I'm going to try some dullcote on top of the shellac. If THAT doesn't get it to look right then I'm going to just keep it the way it is and not coat it because it looks too good to mess it up.

The leather pad on the bottom is only tacked on with a few dots of super glue right now. Once I figure out what I'm going to do with the clear coat I'll either peel it off and glue it on permanently, or peel it off, apply the clear coat, and then glue it back on permanently.

In the pictures below I had to correct the colors and brightness because they were seriously off. They still kind of are because the goblet almost looks like coal until it's in bright light at which point it looks closer to how it does in the pictures.

09HouseDagothGobletCompleted01_zpsf673f2a6.jpg

09HouseDagothGobletCompleted02_zpsbc200253.jpg

09HouseDagothGobletCompleted03_zps7e067cd8.jpg

09HouseDagothGobletCompleted04_zpsaf3271ed.jpg

09HouseDagothGobletCompleted05_zps6dec2cfa.jpg

09HouseDagothGobletCompleted06_zps92eadd53.jpg

09HouseDagothGobletCompleted07_zpsbd83affa.jpg

09HouseDagothGobletCompleted08_zps1d980ebb.jpg

The video below is very dark for some reason so just bear with it. Also, my friend Johnathan gives the camera the bird at the end cause he died in dark souls, so if for whatever reason you are offended by that do not watch it.

Video

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back