Question more ad wackiness

Discussion in 'Site Support & News' started by Treadwell, May 28, 2015.

1. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

in the "venting about inconsequential stuff" thread, it wouldn't let me read the bottom of the page; kept popping back up to the sponsored ads panel (not the top banner). I think it was the one playing video causing it, because after it ended I could scroll again. The video was for Crest and a powerboat. Just in case, the static ads were Best Buy and the RPF shirt.

2. Treadwell

Happened again in another thread, again when a video was playing (a car ad). This time, though, I got control back after just the first video finished, even though there was another ad/video immediately after.

3. a438980

a438980 Active Member

This happened numerous times for me last week while trying to go through a thread in the Free Replica Paper Props section, but it was a Starbucks ad that kept diverting me. While playing it forced the page to where the ad bar was at the top of the page, and after that ad played it allowed me to scroll again. If I was just browsing a page or two I wouldn't mind so much, but it kept doing this while I was trying to read through all 400+ pages of this particular thread.

4. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

We have had a couple of people mention this, but have been unable to replicate it. Not arguing that it isn't happening, but unless we can make it happen for us, it is very hard to correct it.

5. modelcitizen

modelcitizen Sr Member

maytag. too annoying to browse the site right now.

6. Luke Skyvader

Luke Skyvader Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm getting it too. It seems to start when the video ads start up.

7. tk1055

tk1055 Sr Member

I was getting it a few days ago and deactivated my flash plug in for this site.

8. Treadwell

After a 2-week pause, it's doing it again.

9. Treadwell

The lockdown thing hasn't happened again since last report. However, the forced autoplay is really kind of unacceptable. I don't want to thwart the forum paying the bills by using an adblocker, but forced play videos (with audio!) is kind of the dealbreaker in that regard. Insult is added to injury when there's a pause button on the video and it doesn't work. :lol

10. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

Please post a screen capture so that we can block the ad.

11. Treadwell

Will do if it happens again, thanks :)

12. Treadwell

OT "New Star Wars Figures - The Black Series": videos autoplayed, and forced browser relocation to ad banner. Ritz crackers (pic 1) had a pause button that didn't work. The following ad (fogs, pic 2) had a pause button that DID work. Neither prevented further scrolling in the thread, unlike the originally reported problem. Thanks as always for your diligence!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      183.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      137.4 KB
      Views:
  13. Art Andrews

Banning those ads.

Treadwell likes this.
  14. Treadwell

This one is doing the same thing the Ritz one was

edit: there are at least two ads for this product with the problem.

Attached Files:

• amc.jpg
      amc.jpg
      File size:
      15.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  15. Sourdoh

Sourdoh Sr Member

When I was a Configuration Tester at Apple Computer, we found that most of these types of issues were caused by the set-up the user was, well, using. Some part of their lash-up was making the problem. I hate to say it, because the Gamer PC police will have my trousers down, but it was usually a heavy Gamer that had all kinds of offbeat stuff in their set-up. I'm not saying this is the case here, but, if you're having an issue with a website, make sure it isn't your configurations before you start blaming the site.

16. Treadwell

It's the computers I use at work, no gaming mods. :)

edit: I'm just reporting an issue that I assume is affecting others. I don't expect changes to be made just for 'lil 'ol me. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  17. Treadwell

The video ads are doing it again. Making the page pop up back to them, having non-functioning pause buttons, and now perpetually replaying (making it pop up again when the replay begins). Noted so far: Greenies/Uppercut and Sprint/Uppercut.

18. Art Andrews

Banning those ads. Please continue to list as they cause issues.

Treadwell likes this.
  19. Treadwell

Thanks!
    Now happening with Sprint Business/Nicoderm

20. Treadwell

And iams.

Basically any auto play video, it seems. Maybe just opt out of videos, if that is an option?