Moldy Crow scratchbuild.

Ray22

Sr Member
Well while having some downtime and waiting on materials for my APC kit what do I do? Yup another scratchbuild its like an addiction now, gotta build something.....gotta build something.......Lol. I know Starving4rtist here started one but he's M.I.A so I'll do this in honor of a missing modeler. Its 11" so I guess its about 1/72nd scale and I'm using different thickness styrene sheets .020,.060, .080 and some basewood to form the pods covered in styrene to give them strength so when I attach the engines they will be able to hold them up. Here are a few progress shots,
Ray.

Last edited:
Wow, that's pretty complex scratchbuilding. You've got real talent. Looking forward to more progress shots.
Thanks Crackerjazz its not as complex as you think its basically straight lines and boxes, now my 1/20th Aliens APC now that was complex I had to do the front twice its full of crazy angles.

Thanks Sluis, its a pretty fun build and my quickest so far I'm like 3 days into it should have it done in a week or so look forward to seeing yours when you do it.

Well I have the two vertical stabilizers built up still need to add the front intake vents on them, after that fabricate the rounded engines, the gun and turret and do the cockpit, seats and controls and its a wrap, maybe Moldy will get molded:lol.

Thanks Randy, Ace job you did on the Aliens diorama. Well worked on one of the engines I didn't have any plastic tubbing or pipe the right size so I used some mixing sticks and basswood covered with styrene pretty much started last night and took most of my day. I will detail it and make the front and back pieces and cast them all for the second engine I'll have to start molding the pieces anyway if I plan to offer it as a kit.

Last edited:
Worked on surface details today, the side intake vent on the underside and made the top escape hatch man making spaceships is haaaard Lol:behave.

Well Got some more surface detailing done, worked on the cockpit area and shot some gray on her still a little to go, I'm pleased on how its turning out.

Last edited:
That looks great! I forgot to ask you, but did you make your own plan or use one of the existing ones. I know you didn't use one of them, because his fuselage was wrong.

That looks great! I forgot to ask you, but did you make your own plan or use one of the existing ones. I know you didn't use one of them, because his fuselage was wrong.
Hey Jason, I pretty much drew the basic shape from multiple reference pics and went from there, the good thing about this model is there isn't an actual model like from one of the movies so you don't have the pressure of getting it accurate and attacked by the rivet counters :behaveLol. I heard it was in one of the S.W. prequels for a brief shot in the background.

Last edited:
Thanks. That's what I figured I will do. I'll just try to get as close as possible. I'm still ticked it never made it into one of the Essential Guide books!

Thanks. That's what I figured I will do. I'll just try to get as close as possible. I'm still ticked it never made it into one of the Essential Guide books!
I think its probably one of the most under rated designs its a sharp looking ship I'd fly it , Oh no meteor field! :confused Lol.
Ray.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back