Mold dreads

agh12

I've made a two-part mold in 3d for printing. I'll try the flexfoam it x because it's the only one I can get where I live. Any help is appreciated.

20170612_035919.jpg

Will be interesting to see how this goes, but to my knowledge dread molds are usually made in silicone, vs. something hard like the 3d Printer plastics.

I have seen dreads made in pretty good plaster molds.
I hope it works out well.
So there is a material called filaflex that is elastic, could work better.

Great tutorial.
Have a good finish.
Did you use any release agent?How many grams did you use for each one?
Proportion a: b?

How i do it:

1.- A tube and a sharp stick of a broom:
View attachment 265780

2.- Insert the stick into the tube. Be careful not to touch the edges
View attachment 265781

3.- Fill the tube with silicone molds. I am from Spain and I bought this:
Silastic 3481 Base + Ag. de Curado - Feroca Composites, S.A.

4. -wait a day

5,. The result. You have the mold:
View attachment 265782
6.- I use Flexfoam
View attachment 265783
7.- You have your dread
View attachment 265784

View attachment 265785
Next steps...Paint and put the rings

Thanks. The proportion is 1:1. To mix them i use a syringe. 20 ml for each component, without any other product. It's ready in an hour aprox. The dreads are 50 cm long

Nice job, It's awesome to know that this worked for you! might try this myself at some point, minus the 3d printer since I don't have one :D

I always warn people in advance when using foam. Make sure you use it in your garage or a place where its well ventilated with the appropriate protection.
This forum has a history of people falling ill due to foam exposure not to mention permanent damage to lungs. So once again, for anyone reading this and attempting this please use the appropriate protection.

For those reading this just know I am one of a select dozen of individuals who have suffered from foam exposure. It has permanently damaged my lungs, regardless of this safety first! Always!

Great workaround, and very effective loku! I myself went the PVC tube route, minus broom ;) I'm surprised you didn't have too much trouble getting the silicone out of the tube? or did you spray a release agent inside before pouring the foam? Cause I had a really hard time getting it out the first time, then afterwards I wrapped the whole silicone mould in cling wrap before putting it back into the tube. Cling wrap makes it heaps easier to put in and pull out..

..wait, that didn't sound right..LOL

I decided to go for the traditional method, I bought mold star 30 of the brand smooth on and flex foam x since it is the only one sold here.What gas masks do you recommend for safety?With filter or without filter, type?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back