Moebius Cylon Raider

Boba Debt

Master Member
I am getting ready to buy a Moebius Cylon Raider for our collection.

I like to fill the hollow voids with a weighted material such as Plaster of Paris or polyester resin

Should I just buy the model for $79 or get the finished version for about$120

I like the battle distressed look and I assume that even the finished version will need so work to make it look better

I haven't modeled in years so if you have some info or an opinion please post it below

Pictures are awesome too :)

The only issue I have with finished versions I have seen is that they don't clean up an hide the seams between parts. Depending on what and how you want you display to look should be your deciding factor. Which version of the Raider are you looking at, the TOS or RDM?

The only issue I have with finished versions I have seen is that they don't clean up an hide the seams between parts. Depending on what and how you want you display to look should be your deciding factor. Which version of the Raider are you looking at, the TOS or RDM?

Original series

So you don't think the finished raider is a better starting point then just building the model?

Do you have one you can post pictures of?

I have seen the two Vipers and the Galactica as 'finished' and the Mk II Viper had visible seams across the top of the fuselage and around the engines, the Mk VII isn't as glaring and the Galactica just didn't seem right.
If you can fill in the seams and can match the colours used on the finished kit, go for it. I know I'd muff it when it came to matching the proper colour myself. Seeing as you are going to pay an additional $40 for an unfinished kit, why not build it yourself and have some fun doing so? It really all comes down to personal choice and I for one would never tell you what to do beyond 'do what makes you happy'.

Here are some photos of the most obvious gaps on the RDM Raider I have.
SAM_5883marked.jpg
SAM_5884marked.jpg
SAM_5885marked.jpg

Out of curiosity, why do you want to fill the model with resin/plaster?

To give them weight which translates to value to most people

When friends handle one of my models they would get this look of disenchantment because it may look amazing but feels cheap

I experienced this myself when I paid $1200 for a SS Snowspeeder that weighed about 2 pounds

So if a model isn't solid resin I do my best to fill it

Last edited:
I have seen the two Vipers and the Galactica as 'finished' and the Mk II Viper had visible seams across the top of the fuselage and around the engines, the Mk VII isn't as glaring and the Galactica just didn't seem right.
If you can fill in the seams and can match the colours used on the finished kit, go for it. I know I'd muff it when it came to matching the proper colour myself. Seeing as you are going to pay an additional $40 for an unfinished kit, why not build it yourself and have some fun doing so? It really all comes down to personal choice and I for one would never tell you what to do beyond 'do what makes you happy'.

Here are some photos of the most obvious gaps on the RDM Raider I have.

I appreciate the info but I'm building the original version

The Moebius TOS raider is a really nice kit that goes together well. The seams are pretty well hidden (not completely) and the paintwork is minimal. Its a base color with a few highlights, and some decals applied, and a dark gray/flat black for the cockpit. You can do it :)

Jedi Dade

I received our Raider yesterday

Models 2020-11-08.jpg

I decided to go with Plaster of Paris and it's a good thing because it took 8 pounds of it to fill the center fuselage

I have never put this much plaster into a model so I'm going to buy a second back up unit just in case something happens to this in 10 years

The center is solid as a rock but the outer wings are still hollow so I might figure out a way to get something into them

I need to let this cure for at least 2 weeks, then I'll bore a cavity with some cross drilled holes which will get filled with JB to create a more solid base for the bushings I use to mount my models

I just hope I can either find a local person to distress this or I'll have to learn how to do it myself

Moebius Cylon Raider 001.jpg

I've always used epoxy and lots of nuts and bolts, lead fishing weights, washers, all that kind of stuff in my models to give them weight. I never realized anyone else ever added weight to a model "just because" :D

If I lived near you I'd volunteer to weather it up a bit for you.

Were I you I would grab some Tamiya Nato Black (dark gray) and thin it way down and apply a wash with a brush swiping front to back letting it sit for a bit then wiping it off. If you do that a few times you'll pick out all the little panel lines and leave a few "streaks" and it will look bit more realistic than it does now. Simple easy and effective. You might want to avoid the outer seam on the bottom so that you don't highlight that but everywhere else :D light streaks front to back :).

Jedi Dade

I've always used epoxy and lots of nuts and bolts, lead fishing weights, washers, all that kind of stuff in my models to give them weight. I never realized anyone else ever added weight to a model "just because" :D

I have always "weighted" my models

TBH , this model felt "flimsy" and "rattle-y" Now it feels solid as a rock

I just hope the volume of Plaster of Paris doesn't do something weird in 10-20 years

If I lived near you I'd volunteer to weather it up a bit for you.

Were I you I would grab some Tamiya Nato Black (dark gray) and thin it way down and apply a wash with a brush swiping front to back letting it sit for a bit then wiping it off. If you do that a few times you'll pick out all the little panel lines and leave a few "streaks" and it will look bit more realistic than it does now. Simple easy and effective. You might want to avoid the outer seam on the bottom so that you don't highlight that but everywhere else :D light streaks front to back :).

Jedi Dade

I might try that as a last resort.

We have a place close by that does gaming and they have some awesome models on display there so hopefully I can get a local guy to work this out for me

Have you ever tried hot glue as a filler? Works great if your glue doesn't get too hot to warp the model. Can get a little expensive though.

Once in about '98 I was building a big 36" Nautilus model. By chance, someone had given me a huge case of hot glue sticks, probably at least a thousand 12" sticks. I literally spent 4 or 5 weeks just squirting hot glue into this thing, all the while throwing in nuts and bolts and what-have-you. By the time I was finished that puppy weighed about 30 pounds and was a solid as a rock!!! You couldn't break it if you tried! LOL!

Have you ever tried hot glue as a filler? Works great if your glue doesn't get too hot to warp the model. Can get a little expensive though.

Once in about '98 I was building a big 36" Nautilus model. By chance, someone had given me a huge case of hot glue sticks, probably at least a thousand 12" sticks. I literally spent 4 or 5 weeks just squirting hot glue into this thing, all the while throwing in nuts and bolts and what-have-you. By the time I was finished that puppy weighed about 30 pounds and was a solid as a rock!!! You couldn't break it if you tried! LOL!

Yes, I have used hot glue, you need a good gun if you want to fill it up fast

I was able to pry the out board wings open which allowed me fill them with Plaster of Paris

The entire model feels more solid but it's very heavy, I'm sure it's over 10 pounds now

One thing I have to comment on.

The factory paint job is tough as nails.

I use water with brushes and dental picks to get the plaster out of the nooks and crannies and the paint looks fine

Moebius Cylon Raider 002.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back