Modding the Iron Man 2 Arc from sideshow

One thing I did notice on the screen captures that was different to the prop, was the bevel edge around the top plate or cover. You plan on doing that also?

Thanks...but no..I have not the machines to do something like that.
But I´m working on the lower section,that you can see the slot with the led light around the cover ,too.I painted the whole thing new...post some pics,when I´m ready.:cool

The cover with the screws inside(2,5mm clockscrews):

Last edited:
that looks more accurate each time I see it!! I want do this to mine.. where did you get the drill pieces for the tiny holes and what size drill piece did you use

Please look in my posts before...I didn´t made it myself...a clockmaker did the screws inside..so I cannot say,what a machine he used for that...but the screws head is 2,5mm diameter.

Some parts are still painted today...so I cannot put it back together today.
I´m still looking for the perfekt color of the backlite.nexnox told me,that was a more green/blue painted acrylic glass..so I would say more turquoise..but on the pics it looks complete blue.:confused
Cutted some colored pvc today,green,blue,lightblue,yellow...put them all together,,but after all it looks more green or to heavy blue as light blue.:confused

I think that must be the right color..its the older arc..but nexnox said they used the same color for both:

Here a pic of his posted video...the same greenish color behind the elements..:

Last edited:
So...after looking the movie again the reactor looks really blue and not green in the movie.So the best way for me is to make it blue...here is the finished prop(deep blue piece not inside on this pics):

Now with the final light effect:From the front you see the great blue effekt only in the middle around the triangle...but the middle is white like the original in the movie(built a deep blue piece UNDER the white milky glass for that effect):

Last edited:
Thanks man...happy that you like it.:)

Whats with your arc?Did you started to mod it?The only thing I will maybe do in the future is to paint the inside details darker as the cover.You see,that is on all originalpieces in the video..the cover is really bright aluminium and the inside is more a darkgrey/gunmetal color.
Oh,Ive forgotten to tell you the right color for the stand and the arcs cover...it´s a plastic spraypaint from tamiya calls "glossy aluminium"...tested some silver and aluminium colors and this one was the best for the job.:love

Tamiya TS-17 Gloss Aluminum Acrylic Spray Paint - 85017 - £5.39

I like the tamiya colors,because they are very smooth for little props like this.For bigger props they are to expensive.:lol

as off yet the project is still on the bench, im going to get a blue folder like you showed me then add that then the screws is the second on the list

looks great, now it makes me want to re-do my mod from a while back, here's mine
http://www.therpf.com/f9/sideshow-col-iron-man-2-arc-reactor-138795/

Hi...yes I´ve seen your mod before I bought my arc.In your photos I saw that the triangle elements are all behind the milky glass.That was my start for the mod...thanks for sharing that!:)

@Chris27989:Cool...let us know and see what your doing.

My next projekt is to make the brushed helmet version of the Iron Man 1 Movie...my base is a Museums Replics Real Steel helmt.Brushed the brass face today:

Last edited:
Damn that's coming along great so far! I was so disappointed with how their version came out, it wasn't even close and didn't have lighted eyes either...which is ridiculous in this day and age considering how cheap LED's are. Thanks for the breakdown of how you modded the IM2 Arc, I've always wanted one but again, I was disappointed with the finished product. Plus I need a project to work on :-D So for the inner ring surrounding the center light(s) you just used the transparent blue from that file folder thingy? I just went shopping with a friend of mine and saw those and thought they would be great for something, never thought they could be used for this application...cheers!

Thank you...no problem.:)
For people with absolute no skills,Museums Replicas is really the wrong adress for props.:lol
BUT for people with a little skill,its a great source,because they are making most in real metal and not plastic or fiberglas...thats why I like this props..the IM helmet is really heavy steel and cold armor feeling..not like all the fiberglasversions out there.And real brushed metal feels and looks complete different as painted plastic.But that is only my personal taste.And when I finished my helmet, its a lot more screenacurate.I would only buy a fiberglas IM-Helmet,when it comes from the screenused mold...and I´ve heared the new EFX Avengers IM helmet is the one for me.:love

Oh,for the inside blue I used a darker blue plastic foil.My arc has 3 layers...2 in the soft blue and one in the dark blue BEHIND the white milky glass.First a thin clear plastik on the LEDS,then the dark blue in triangleform cutted out in the middle..the milky glass,a complete baby blue over the milky glass,painted triangleelements,babyblue part in triangleform over the complete middle,curved glass over it...ready for the deployment.:lol

Last edited:
That Is the same 'green' I was talking about. I think you are correct going for the blue though. To the naked eye is real ones do light up greenish. But on camera they are blue. This is because the white balance is adjusting for the tungsten based lighting. Btw I think the green is a tamiya paint.

Your mod is looking good! :)

Here is a little treat for you guys. Something I was working on yesterday. Real deal.
7183494108_0c8c34806a_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks,man you are back.:)
Wow,that is awesome...is it the original pattern for the IM 2 arc?:love
Do you wanna build one for yourself ore selling the parts?When the cover is would fitting my mod..I would buy it from you.Do you wanna make the triangle parts in metal,too?

Ok,I understand..please torture me more.:cry

One of this original covers would complete my mod.The shape of the mod cover is sadly not perfekt and I have not the machines to cut metal like this.

Last edited:
Here is a comparsion...the softblue vs the darker blue(a cover for a textbook):

make a own thread for this...but look,the new lower jaw is in...before left and after:

Last edited:
Thanks...and yes...I will install EL-sheet in the eyes.But I still have not all parts together.So I hope in 2 weeks the helmet is complete finsished.Then I will make a thread here,what I´ve done for the mod.

I looked on the cover again after nexnox posted a pic of his original...the windless cover is not bad in shape...the only thing what lacks are the edges.What a machine can make the edges?A turning machine?Look..the comparsion..I would do it with a dremel,but it must be absolute smooth in one line..and that is impossible with free hand working:

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back