Modding the Iron Man 2 Arc from sideshow

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Kroenen77, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

After seeing some pics and mods in the net,I bought my own Iron Man 2 Arc Reactor from sideshow/museums replicas for a very good price.

First,when you open the box it schocks you...hehe..what is it?A bedside lamp?A Mini-Batsignal..no..not with a triangle on it.:gah:

BUT...under the wrong milky glass on the top there is something usable.

Ok,first you must open the arc with 3 screws.Than you see this(my trianglepart is painted on the pics..your is wrong black in the middle):

[​IMG]

The curved clean glass is waste...the original has flat glass and its absolute clean.Not this cheap cloudy chinaplastic.

Look on the reflections of the original prop:

[​IMG]

Now you need to paint the triangle part.I used Acrylicpaint "Iron" and I used a brush.If you brush with the lines,it looks like satin stainless steel.Thats a lot better as sprayed..but that is my own taste.

[​IMG]

Let it dry over night and cut a new glass.I used the package of my RAM for that.Its easyer with nail scissors,because its a curved line.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After that build all together in the right order:

1.)White milky glass on the LEDS
    2.)Painted trianglepart on the milky glass
    3.)New flat glass on the triangle.

You are ready now..I think a great arc:

Original and modded one:

[​IMG]

Before modding:

[​IMG]

After modding:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for reading..hope you like my little tutorial.:wink1:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

nice mod i like it whay thickness glass did you use?

3. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Thanks...I used no glass...I used absolute clear and flat plastic for the glass.
    Found it in the package of my new PC-RAM.:lol

The stock glass is wrong...curved and not really clean.

4. JKKS

JKKS Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks great. Congrats Kroenen 77.

I'm really tempted to get one now and try that mod.
    Though I'll probably try to have an actual glass lens cut to the right dimensions (instead of the clear acrylic you used).
    I'm also pretty sure that we can find a way to make the "triangle" part looking better and more accurate.

I think it's gonna be my project next month.

5. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Thank you.I painted the parts in the middle black..so it looks not so cheap for the moment.:lol
    But the best way would be to build the complete part new with metalstripes.But what is the part in the middle and where you can buy stripes in stainless stell like this?

[​IMG]

You can see,that the metalstripes are glued on triangle rubber parts..that is not a HD shot..on the bluray you can see it more detailed.Can you make a blurayshot..I have only a dvd rom in my pc.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  6. cokebabies

cokebabies Member

The mod is a huge improvement - well done.

7. JKKS

JKKS Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Kroenen77 here's a 1080p screencap so you can see the arc details much better:

[​IMG]

8. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Thank you very much.:cool
    Look at this guy made a build with plastic parts.Not bad,when the paintjob looks great.

[​IMG]

But metal looks better...hm,the metalstripes and the rubberparts are not the biggest problem..but the triangle in the middle.:confused

9. saberlover

saberlover Well-Known Member

The outer housing purse with just the triangle looks flat on the actual prop but slightly dome shaped on the replica. I think I could machine a flat cap to replace the domed cap. That inner piece could be done from laser cut stainless sheet. It's pretty cheap to have done. Thinking of buying one of these now to mod.

10. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

If you make the parts,you can make it for me,too.:lol

11. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

Nice job. I was always really disappointed with the Museum Replicas arc (both of them), especially since I love the original prop. your mod looks much much better.

12. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Thank you.:)

13. Chris27989

inspired me to mod my mk1 reactor now lol

14. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Worked a little bit again....:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  15. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Oh....that was a good step with the blue inside:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  16. Chris27989

again nice mod i like the blue even better!!

17. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Thanks...there are left the screws on the top...but they are very small.Any ideas?

18. Chris27989

19. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Ah,yes thanks.The last what I´m doing is polish the cover,drill the screws in and paint it in a darker iron color.

20. Chris27989

keep us updated.. hope you can get the screws put in on the front

21. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Hope that,too.Yesterday I painted the frontcover new.The rough texture of the metalfinish was so wrong.But it´s only painted...so you can easy fix it.

22. Chris27989

yeh which paint are you using?
    have to decided how your going to do the screws on the front of the arc ??

23. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

I use "Model Air" Iron..you can see it on the first pic.This is a waterbased acrylic paint...so you need to coat it with a regular acrylic spray clear coat after drying.I use this because the metal particles are extreme fine in this color.
    And you can easy paint it with a brush for the metaleffect...used the same on the inside parts of the arc.So I worked a little bit more.Painted the backbatterypack black,the frontcover brushed iron and made a new blue part in the inside.Working on my IM helmt,too you can see...:lol..:

[​IMG]

24. Chris27989

Ive just picked up one of these arc reactors and now I'm going to have to mod it!! pretty smart looking helmet too

25. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Hope you have the same fun,like me with the modding!:)

Today I painted the whole thing again in a darker metal.I think my painted alu-look looks a little bit plastic like.I gave the cover to a clockmaker for the little screws.It´s finished next week.

The helmet is the full metal mark III helmet from museums replicas...I´m modding the helmet,too.A new more acurate lower jaw and I will matt chromium coating or brushing the whole face.After that I install a light kit in the eyes.

That is the helmet out of the box:

[​IMG]

26. Chris27989

that's a nice helmet but the gold looks too bright

I've been reading about the arc reactor that the two lens inside are the wrong way round and that is a way of improving them.. but I do prefer your modded one.

And breakthroughs on the screws on the front ?

27. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Looks great any idea where i can get one of these cheap>? Also i think you should sand that silver paint off and Rub n buff that thing.

28. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

About the colorlenses inside: Hm,source?The only way can be,that there is a complete blue lens under the glass.But I must see a pic of the heroprop.Found nothing...not in the Iron Man 2 Artbook or in the internet..nothing of this arc.

[​IMG]

About the helmet:Yes your right..thats why I matt chrome it next week.

About the screws:I can ask the clockmaker next week,when I return my finished cover.

@Bowelrock: Look on ebay.You are not from europe,so I think its too expensive for you to buy the arc here in europe.And about the color...yes..bought 3 metal silver paints to look the right one.I´m painting the hole thing,when the cover is back from the clockmaker.:lol

29. nexnox

nexnox Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello all, thought I would add a little insight to this thread.
    On the "real" (it is a prop after all) RT unit. The milk behind the elements is really frosted clear acrylic tinted with a greenish blue candy coat paint. Production was very specific with this tinting so that the light output would look correct under the stage lighting. As for the clear lens, it really is curved. However it was not one lens, each section had its own lens to add stability to the aluminum bezel.

30. nexnox

31. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Thanks for the informations,but do you have any source for that?When the milky glass is painted blue/green,why is the light ON the triangle and the other elements and not only under it?And why are some areas in white light and only the middle is really blue?Why exist no good pic of the original prop?From the IM1 Arcs are a lot of pics out there in books and also in the internet.

Ah,you were faster...hehe...so I´ve seen you worked on the movie.If that´s thrue,you are other salvation.;-)

About the color:Yes,alu was my paint,too.But are the elements in a darker metal as the alu cover?

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  32. nexnox

It was a little tricky to light, because the unit had to fit in a small cup to sit on RDJ's chest we couldn't pull the LEDs back far enough to evenly light the field without hotspots. Instead we hid surface mount LEDs underneath the painted elements and 'side' lit the acrylic. You can actually see some of the surface mount LEDs under the bottom edge in your picture.

Funny thing about that scene, they put the chest version of the RT in the stand. (thats why you see the LEDs) We built a version that breaks down. I designed a whole interior the the Arc Reactor and the stand. Was supposed to be a scene where Stark is building his new one. But they never used the interior in the movie.

33. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Oh,that´s bad...you to take care in doing the interior and they don´t use it for the movie.:angry
    But I often heared,that they are using really great props only a really short moment or not at all in the film.And yes,now I can see the LED´s...the pic is not really sharp,so its a problem to see everything.The stand for the arc looks really good from this replica..only the paint is wrong...but the arc is a lot of work.

Do you have any information for the used parts?The triangle and the contactarmsin the middle of the arc...what did you use for it?Is it all the same color?In your video,the details in the middle of the arc are looking a lot darker as the aluminium-cover on the top around the glass.
    I used no paint for the milky glass...is it a spezial mixed paint,that you used for the blue/green effect.or can you buy it?

34. nexnox

All the detail parts are SLAed (a form of "3D Printing") No found parts. Rare to use found items these days, we fabricate most everything now. The are two to three tones of a metallic grey for the paint.

Props get cut all the time. :(

35. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Ok,I understand.I remember the time of the old Star Wars Trilogy...a lot of the props were made of founded parts...the spaceships and the deathstar from regular modelkits glued together and the darth vader revealmask was made with dental expanders,pianokeys and other parts from warehouse.:lol

36. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Hey nexnox..are you still here?:confused

Have a question about the handwheel(s) at the arcs stand:

Are they all aluminium painted or some with black rubber or paint on it?

On the pic I can only see 2 of them...the big one looks alupaited..but the little one looks like with black details on it:

[​IMG]

37. Chris27989

Mine arrived today, I changed the order of the lens inside the reactor the curved one first then the metal triangle separator and then the cloudy lens.. now i need blue plastic for the blue tint to the triangle area :D

38. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Ah,cool...I painted the whole thing new.Found a very good color.:love

The screws are in the cover,too.He used 2,5mm screws for clocks.

About the blue plastic...I used a blue document folder from "herlitz" for that...the soft blue looks very good and is clear..on the pics the sides are doubled..but when you cut it in a half,the color is not more so intense..:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. Big_Weld

Big_Weld New Member

Not sure how you went with the screws, but old mobile phones are a great xource for small screws. Should find plenty to choose from in them!
    Great mod by the way, it looks great!!
    One thing I did notice on the screen captures that was different to the prop, was the bevel edge around the top plate or cover. You plan on doing that also?
    I didn't get one of these & I regret it everyday!! Good luck with this, you are doing a great job!!

40. Chris27989

big_weld there on ebay at a reasonable price from the US i got one to the UK for about £70 inc shipping

41. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Thanks...but no..I have not the machines to do something like that.
    But I´m working on the lower section,that you can see the slot with the led light around the cover ,too.I painted the whole thing new...post some pics,when I´m ready.:cool

The cover with the screws inside(2,5mm clockscrews):

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  42. Chris27989

that looks more accurate each time I see it!! I want do this to mine.. where did you get the drill pieces for the tiny holes and what size drill piece did you use

43. Chris27989

any pictures of it all put back together ?

44. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Please look in my posts before...I didn´t made it myself...a clockmaker did the screws inside..so I cannot say,what a machine he used for that...but the screws head is 2,5mm diameter.

Some parts are still painted today...so I cannot put it back together today.
    I´m still looking for the perfekt color of the backlite.nexnox told me,that was a more green/blue painted acrylic glass..so I would say more turquoise..but on the pics it looks complete blue.:confused
    Cutted some colored pvc today,green,blue,lightblue,yellow...put them all together,,but after all it looks more green or to heavy blue as light blue.:confused

I think that must be the right color..its the older arc..but nexnox said they used the same color for both:

[​IMG]

Here a pic of his posted video...the same greenish color behind the elements..:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  45. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

So...after looking the movie again the reactor looks really blue and not green in the movie.So the best way for me is to make it blue...here is the finished prop(deep blue piece not inside on this pics):

[​IMG]

Now with the final light effect:From the front you see the great blue effekt only in the middle around the triangle...but the middle is white like the original in the movie(built a deep blue piece UNDER the white milky glass for that effect):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  46. Chris27989

Dude that look awesome.. defiantly better then the original piece

47. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Thanks man...happy that you like it.:)

Whats with your arc?Did you started to mod it?The only thing I will maybe do in the future is to paint the inside details darker as the cover.You see,that is on all originalpieces in the video..the cover is really bright aluminium and the inside is more a darkgrey/gunmetal color.
    Oh,Ive forgotten to tell you the right color for the stand and the arcs cover...it´s a plastic spraypaint from tamiya calls "glossy aluminium"...tested some silver and aluminium colors and this one was the best for the job.:love

Tamiya TS-17 Gloss Aluminum Acrylic Spray Paint - 85017 - £5.39

I like the tamiya colors,because they are very smooth for little props like this.For bigger props they are to expensive.:lol

48. Chris27989

as off yet the project is still on the bench, im going to get a blue folder like you showed me then add that then the screws is the second on the list

49. jamiestarr319

jamiestarr319 Member

50. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Hi...yes I´ve seen your mod before I bought my arc.In your photos I saw that the triangle elements are all behind the milky glass.That was my start for the mod...thanks for sharing that!:)

@Chris27989:Cool...let us know and see what your doing.

My next projekt is to make the brushed helmet version of the Iron Man 1 Movie...my base is a Museums Replics Real Steel helmt.Brushed the brass face today:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2012