Mjolnir 2.0 - repainted/weathered HCMY replica

Filandrius

Sr Member
Hey everyone! So I just finished weathering the '2.0' version of the HCMY all-metal Mjolnir replica that's available out there.

First things first: this replica is way better than the first 'Cattoys' version. It's about the same weight and size, but the accuracy and the way it's built is incredibly improved. No seams, no visible screws, no missing details, accurate leather strap out of the box, etc...

Anyway, the replica comes plain, unpolished & unweathered, so I went to town on it to make it a little more worthy (pun intended) Here's some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_5486.JPG
    IMG_5486.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5488.JPG
    IMG_5488.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5489.JPG
    IMG_5489.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5491.JPG
    IMG_5491.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5493.JPG
    IMG_5493.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5496.JPG
    IMG_5496.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5497.jpg
    IMG_5497.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5498.JPG
    IMG_5498.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5499.JPG
    IMG_5499.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5500.JPG
    IMG_5500.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
hey man!

looks awesome...

can you maybe go through the weathering process you did to get this patina on the metal?

ive just picked up a King Arts Mjolnir and plan to strip the paint and weather it and i love the age you were able to achieve.

thanks!

Hey everyone! So I just finished weathering the '2.0' version of the HCMY all-metal Mjolnir replica that's available out there.

First things first: this replica is way better than the first 'Cattoys' version. It's about the same weight and size, but the accuracy and the way it's built is incredibly improved. No seams, no visible screws, no missing details, accurate leather strap out of the box, etc...

Anyway, the replica comes plain, unpolished & unweathered, so I went to town on it to make it a little more worthy (pun intended) Here's some pics.

And here I was, trying to replicate the weathering of the King Arts. If you don’t mind I’ll take your question as a compliment. :)

The process is relatively simple, and is based on the weathering used on the screen-used Mjolnir. It’s basically several layers of acrylic black washes, diluted with a spray bottle (see video below) The surface of the hammer was bare metal, so I started on the pristine surface straight away.

First you apply a generous black wash all over the surfaces (ideally after washing the grooves and runes) When the wash is still wet you spray the diluent upwards over the surface, far enough so that the hammer catches only a fine mist. That mist will interact with the wash, creating the effect.

Personally I used Tamiya flat black because it’s really tough once cured. Dip the brush in the paint, then in water, before applying the wash. Use a fat, wide brush. Keep the brush wet. I sprayed my washes with Windex (because of the ammonia, which dilutes Tamiya acrylics)

Final touch: when the weathering is satisfactory, and the wash is cured, buff the surfaces with a rag to bring out a little shine. The final result is seen above. :)

Making of screen-used hammer:

oh man thank you so much for the comprehensive explanation and video link!

ill be sure to post photos after the hammer arrives and i give it a go!

Nothing much, really. Both were perfect to my taste. All I did was polish the rings to make them as mirror-like as much as I could.

Beautiful. I need to upgrade mine as well. Mine is the Lager/Show.Z Store one with the rubbery orange grips instead of leather.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back