Method acting or actual Method for life?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

ZaiyaOfCrimson

As written in the Hagakure

"A person who is said to be proficient at the arts is like a fool. Because of his foolishness in concerning himself with just one thing, he thinks of nothing else and thus becomes proficient. He is a worthless person."

I take this in the sense at least that one should try and be a jack-of-all-trades, a master of none rather than being pigeon holed, I'm wondering how you all will regard the following:

I do not believe in idly sitting around in costume, I do what and how I can to give the respect the creature or character deserves. By following best in their footsteps, and in some cases literally re-training my identity I can easily slip into theirs at a moments notice. I quite regularly spend my free-time training in more than one field, be it in weapons, methods of tracking, combat, cultural relation, as it has always been a part of what I do, as I've spent years applying it to my understanding of the yautja it raises a whole new world before me, but not unknown.

I'm looking for stories or personal details of if you've had or been working how to best conduct yourself as a Hunter would at conventions. Further more I'd like to know your opinions on the idea of(outside of actually hunting people)devoting yourself a bit to the way of the invisible warriors.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Uratz

Sr Member
I read the Hagakura as well. The samurai turned monk also said to be proficient in 10 different disciplines i.e. martial arts in regard to the comment above.

Bruce Lee also followed this advice and combine the best of all the fighting styles out there. He believed in multiple solutions and be flexible when in a fight.
"Be like water."

In regard to the Arts I also try to be Jack of all trades. Although not good at any one of them its good to be able to understand, learn and challenge oneself to become better.

ZaiyaOfCrimson

I read the Hagakura as well. The samurai turned monk also said to be proficient in 10 different disciplines i.e. martial arts in regard to the comment above.

Bruce Lee also followed this advice and combine the best of all the fighting styles out there. He believed in multiple solutions and be flexible when in a fight.
"Be like water."

In regard to the Arts I also try to be Jack of all trades. Although not good at any one of them its good to be able to understand, learn and challenge oneself to become better.

I think one of the most awe-inspiring quotes and I would say life-mantra from Bruce Lee would be as silly as this may sound but his "heavenly glory" speech to a young student in "Enter the Dragon".

though outside of favored movie quotes and such, are you working on or have you already discovered your methods for presenting yourself at cons as a hunter, one that people are almost surely convinced?

hellonearth

"Be like water."

ya sure URATZ, surrrrreee buddy, ya you aren't good at any of your arts, mmm hmm... ya we all know how "un-talented" you are.... :rolleyes:

:p anyhow i found this topic interesting, not about preds at conventions but in general, yes, you must be versatile and flexible in your abilities in this world, i took 3 different martial arts growing up tae kwon do (2nd degree black belt), judo(brown), kendo among other weapons ( didn't really get ranks, the weapons classes were thought at the same place as the TKD, so they kinda went together) although i wish i could've had time to learn more, knowing all those, i was able to combine them in a sense, with even some of my own strategies, to be ready for just about anything, and won many medals and trophies, on top of never losing any street fights that i got into when i was younger. so that's one example of "it pays to know"

makes perfect sense for someone that devotes all there efforts into one single thing, to be considered a fool. i have, even subconsciously, been trying to expand my abilities in every possible direction for as long as i can remember, and it seems to work quite nicely for me, especially since many people do limit themselves in what they learn, so it enables me to help people in many different areas.

hope this isn't getting off subject, just initially wanted to comment on URATZ'S supposed, "lack of skill" or whatever he was trying to say.... i respect your humbleness though my good man

Uratz

Sr Member
Haha Thanks for the comment. "Its better to admit one know nothing then one has more to learn"