MC-80 Mon Calamari Cruiser

While I wait for more clay to come, the first bit of newspaper has been laid down, to allow me to add the ribs on the tail.

Attachments

• FcOs%J%xTx2iCBH2yKx26g.jpg
    FcOs%J%xTx2iCBH2yKx26g.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 132
You are a wizard with using found objects and turning scraps into something amazing
THANKS! Got a lot of work to go on this one.. if you're interested, check out the other members of my scratch built rebel fleet, the Nebulon-B, Hammerheads, and Blockade Runner :)

Scratchbuilt Correllian Blockade Runner

Are you planning to coat it with something over the blue towels?
Like something that could go on then sanded to smooth it out.
I don't think I would have even thought to take on a ship like this, as I wouldn't have really known how to tackle the roundiness of it.

Are you planning to coat it with something over the blue towels?
Like something that could go on then sanded to smooth it out.
I don't think I would have even thought to take on a ship like this, as I wouldn't have really known how to tackle the roundiness of it.
Yep, after the blue towels and glue create a hardened shell layer, I plan on using a combination of filler primer and styrene panels to really make it look like the surface of a ship. I've thought for quite some time on how I could replicate the shape, without the use of a vacuformer or 3D printer. Without those tools, it's a bit of trailblazing..but I'm happy to make my own version of a Mon Cal ship, without needing to stick to strict dimensions and lines like you would with an ISD or other big ship model of this size. Mon Cal ships are super organic :)

in our neighborhood growing up we would fill this with cheap candy, hang it from a rope on a tree in the front yard, put on a blindfold and try to smash it open with a stick or baseball bat....

in our neighborhood growing up we would fill this with cheap candy, hang it from a rope on a tree in the front yard, put on a blindfold and try to smash it open with a stick or baseball bat....
Haha I knew this creation was starting to feel familiar to me too..but I can assure you this thing could not be broken easily with a bat. It's super dense lol. Hopefully by the end it'll look like something you'd want to display, not wack at lol!

Final shot with all the towels laid onto it. For the initial construction, I just need to add the slender blisters on the outer edges of the wings, and then add on as many small blisters as possible using what foam clay I have left. From here, progress may stall as I am unable to prime and paint it at my college apartment. I will need to look for an opportunity to take it to my parent's home and paint it in the backyard. Until then, I will fill a few gaps with wood filler and begin plating it with styrene.
c7Ll0+SRRQWJxpdEr3MsNA.jpg

Just coming home and saw this cloud which looks a little like this ship from the side. Most clouds look like a star destroyer or Super SD to me.
Looking at it right before posting, it also reminds me of a Protoss Carrier from the PC game, Starcraft.
20220320_141744.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back