Maximus Gladiator Helmet on the cheap.

Mine came yesterday - very decent helmet for the money. There are a few simple things which can improve this further in terms of weathering and so on. I've fixed this one up a bit by sanding down the edges to smooth out the rough metalwork, added extra height to the inside nose (as the su helmet has that), sprayed the inside matt black and weathered the whole thing with acrylics. I still plan to weather it further.

A couple of little flaws too, like the lack of a defined curved raised area around the side bolts, seen on the real helmet but lacking here. Also the misplacement of some of the spikes. Not a big deal really though, it still looks great. If I hadn't made direct comparisons with the SU helmet I would never had spotted them, so neither will any casual observer.

One quick nifty trick I just tried - the sticky-out side bolts can be swapped around so that the flat screwhead is seen on the outside and the longer bolt greeblie thing goes on the inside. I also filled in the screw with some steel epoxy and sprayed the whole greeble rig silver. Looks much better and it still fits on the head without any problem:

Last edited:
A couple of little flaws too, like the lack of a defined curved raised area around the side bolts, seen on the real helmet but lacking here. Also the misplacement of some of the spikes. Not a big deal really though, it still looks great. If I hadn't made direct comparisons with the SU helmet I would never had spotted them, so neither will any casual observer.

Got mine a few days ago, this really was a good find thank you to the OP. The helmet is certainly the most accurate helmet on the market I've every seen with the exception of the factory X. As the above poster noted, the curve around the eye bolts is the only real flaw in the helmet. Also when it comes its slathered in oil so be sure not to let the get on your clothing.

The helmet is wearable with the leather liner but when its on my head the face piece rests on the bridge of my nose which is quite uncofortable but easily remidied as I'm going to try to pad the inner side of the face piece and fix its moving motion up.

I have a pepakura file of the gladiator helmet you can scale to make adult or child sized. I plan to make one using sintra. The file is available on the internet or you can PM me.

Here is a side by side of the helmet from the above seller planettrading (left) and a factory X (right). I originally purchased the planettrading helmet and was very pleased, then started to really study the details and wanted a factory X. As you can see the eyes, 'eyebrows' and 'forehead' point are all slightly different. I dont think a normal person would notice these differences, but side by side you can really see them. I'll post more pics if everybody would like to see the sides, top etc. Once again as I said above, good replica for the money.

You can see several differences including the front mouth guard coming down at a slightly different angle, the nose guard is flatter on factory X along with the eyebrows and top of the eyes slanted to look more angry, and somehow the top metal peak on planettrading looks bent and is shorter than the X, and there are a few other differences but both look nice.

Neither the planettrading nor the Factory X is accurate to the screen used helmet, but they are decent replicas for the money. The Factory X is obviously higher quality.

The helmet above was, IIRC, a fan made piece which looks a lot more accurate then other offerings. Again if I recall correctly, it was a one-off and not for sale.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back