MattCorneIM's Finished Foam Iron Man Suit! {Page 3} WOO!

Re: Teenager's Mark VI Build - 40% Complete --> Shins Done!

Today was productive!

I built the left boot and the right hand. Tomorrow, the right boot and left hand.

View attachment 97902

View attachment 97903

View attachment 97904

View attachment 97905

View attachment 97906

View attachment 97907

View attachment 97908

View attachment 97909

A quick question - do you guys attach your boots to your shins, via Chicago screws or whatnot, or do you just leave them be? And what footwear is best for the inside?

Cheers Guys,
--Matt

Re: Yet Another Foam IM Build! [Pic Heavy] 45% Done - Hand & Boot Complete!

im planning to build my own suit this summer and i have no experience making armor, so i have a few questions
1. What foam should i use?
2. What advice can you give me?
3. Is there a specific kind of hot glue I should use to glue it together?

im planning to build my own suit this summer and i have no experience making armor, so i have a few questions
1. What foam should i use?
2. What advice can you give me?
3. Is there a specific kind of hot glue I should use to glue it together?

1. Look for plastazote/eva foam, or go for camping or gym mats. There are so many types of foam that you can use - and all types of thickness - I used 10mm plastazote for the helmet, body, arms, and legs, and 5mm plastazote for the hands (and possibly the neck in future)

2. Whatever you do, dont start on the helmet or a large piece! Because if you have no experience (Like I didn't) and you start on an iconic or large piece, it won't turn out perfect, and that will be a massive demotivator/waste of foam

3. Not that I know of - I just picked up a £15 glue gun and it works perfectly. If you live in a place with hot weather, a low heat glue may start to melt,so pick a high heat glue gun - I live in the UK so I dont have that problem...

Just go for it - you have nothing to lose, and foam is so easy to work with - even a dumb 15 year old like me can use it! :L

Today, my mum made me focus on my revision - my build took a back foot.
However, I managed to build the other boot - if i have time after this, i will try to get the other hand done too...

The attached pictures show the boots, some with the shins, some without...

View attachment 98059

View attachment 98060

View attachment 98061

View attachment 98062

View attachment 98063

View attachment 98064

View attachment 98065

View attachment 98066

View attachment 98067

View attachment 98068

View attachment 98069

Cheers Guys!
--Matt

Hey Matt, your suit is looking awesome! I'm doing all my research now and planning to start over the next few weeks - I think I'm going to go with a paper head then fibreglass it but go with the foam for the rest of the suit. Did you find that 10mm foam is ok for the whole suit or is it a bit thick in some places? Just trying to decide whether to go with all 10mm or buy some thinner stuff too!?

Keep up the good work! :)

Hey Matt, your suit is looking awesome! I'm doing all my research now and planning to start over the next few weeks - I think I'm going to go with a paper head then fibreglass it but go with the foam for the rest of the suit. Did you find that 10mm foam is ok for the whole suit or is it a bit thick in some places? Just trying to decide whether to go with all 10mm or buy some thinner stuff too!?

Keep up the good work! :)

I am thinking of trying a fiberglass helm, but I think I might be able to make my latest foam helm more movie-accurate, but we'll see...
10mm is perfect for everything that I have used it for so far... Apart from the hands - I used 5mm on the hands, and (because i still have most of the 2sq.m sheet left) I might try using it for the neck and brace...
But yeah, 10mm is fine for everything, but if you plan on doing the hands, then get some thinner stuff

Good luck, hope this helps!
--Matt

Re: Yet Another Foam IM Build! [Pic Heavy] 50% Done - Hands & Boots Complete!

Dude, you are one fast builder ! Granted I have to divide my time between my suit, other props and my revision but still, in a week I'm not even done with the second try of my forearm and here you stand, half way done after not even two weeks :lol
Since you seem to use plastazote foam 10mm like me, you should try to use a hot air gun for your curves, it allows you to do less cuts and still have the same smooth curve, plus it holds its shape very well !
And to strengthen the elbow hinge part, JFCustom showed, I think, a way of doing it with hot glue on the inside, or you can try Xrobot's urethane plastic method just for this part.
I do have a question though : does your hand slip through the forearm easily ?

Since you seem to use plastazote foam 10mm like me, you should try to use a hot air gun for your curves, it allows you to do less cuts and still have the same smooth curve, plus it holds its shape very well !
And to strengthen the elbow hinge part, JFCustom showed, I think, a way of doing it with hot glue on the inside, or you can try Xrobot's urethane plastic method just for this part.

I would use a hot air gun, but I just dont have the money, and i'm very inexperienced with any of this equipment. Also, if it does turn out better, I will want to redo the entire suit! :lol
I saw JFCustom's thread - that is certainly something I will try... The idea is that I will plastic coat the whole suit, so I will worry about the hinges at that point...
I have to squish my hand to get through, there is quite a lot of resistance, but it's not too much effort... Why do you ask? Seems a strange question :L

--Matt

My first piece built was a forearm and my hand sticks a bit as I'm putting it through the narrowest part.

Quick update - finished the hands, but I wont be building anything more until friday - I have to go to school on thursday (for a 60 minute exam - it's so not worth it -.-)
I have also fixed my laptop! Woo!
So yeah, see you guys friday!
Cheers Guys
--Matt

Just asking about the hand slipping through because I too have to force a little bit, and I was wondering if it was a common issue or if it was just me, and I'm also worried that it will damage the plastic coating : as long as it's foam it stretches enough to fit your hand, but once it will be more rigid, I'm afraid it will either not stretch and not letting you put it on or it will tear the plastic coating ... But I'll be applying my smooth on 65D on my forearm tomorrow, I'll know for sure what happens then.

Hey guys,

Just finished small pieces - neck, brace, handplates, and hip pods. Unfortunately, my phone has messed up and I cant get the photos up... Ill see what I can do.

Cheers guys,
--Matt

Re:Yet Another Foam IM Build! [Pic Heavy] 55% Done - Hip Pods, Hand Plates, and more

Long [ish] time since I updated this!
I've been at school, and had six exams last week, so I had not time to build.
However, I can update this with pictures of what I made last weekend: the hip pods, and the hand plates.
To make these, I got the standard pep files, and modded them with my limited pepakura ability:

Here are the pieces of my hip pod:

20120615113857.jpg

And the finished product:

20120615121707.jpg

And the handplates:

20120615130212.jpg

20120615130216.jpg

Yeah, I know the glue's sloppy, so what? :p

Hopefully by the end of this weekend, I can finish the shoulders, then onto the thighs! Unfortunately, the end of june and beginning of July are really busy for me, so everything will have to take a step back for now: once that is over, I have my 16th birthday, and can hopefully plastic coat this baby! I am also planning to try a fibreglass helmet once this is over- I have a cunning costume in mind!

Cheers Guys!
--Matt

Re: A Foam IM mk. VI Suit [Pic Heavy] 55% Done - Update With Pics!!

Quick update for today: Finished the brace and the neck - for the brace I modified the files so that I only printed the visible parts. Please correct me if there are any other parts of the brace that need to be built...

20120624231200pzt.jpg

20120624231214.jpg

20120624231228.jpg

20120624231325.jpg

20120624231318.jpg

Please excuse the lighting conditions - Its midnight here, I'm knackered, and our lights aren't bright...

So that's it for now, tomorrow I'm aiming to get the shoulders done, and hopefully a thigh by the end of the week, ready to finish the other after my army camp, and then plastic coat after work experience!

Cheers Guys,
--Matt

Re: Teenager's Foam Mk.VI Suit [Pic Heavy] 60% Done - Neck & Brace Update With Pics!!

Hey guys,

Decided to take a quick break from my foam build, and do something a little different until I have more time to build with foam...

I decided to start a pepakura war machine helmet:

Just done the jaw so far - Its amazing how much longer this takes! So much cutting!!!

20120626063823.jpg

20120626063812.jpg

So, yeah, let me know what you think, and I'll keep updating :)

Cheers Guys!
--Matt

1. Look for plastazote/eva foam, or go for camping or gym mats. There are so many types of foam that you can use - and all types of thickness - I used 10mm plastazote for the helmet, body, arms, and legs, and 5mm plastazote for the hands (and possibly the neck in future)

2. Whatever you do, dont start on the helmet or a large piece! Because if you have no experience (Like I didn't) and you start on an iconic or large piece, it won't turn out perfect, and that will be a massive demotivator/waste of foam

3. Not that I know of - I just picked up a £15 glue gun and it works perfectly. If you live in a place with hot weather, a low heat glue may start to melt,so pick a high heat glue gun - I live in the UK so I dont have that problem...

Just go for it - you have nothing to lose, and foam is so easy to work with - even a dumb 15 year old like me can use it! :L

Thanks. All the suits I've seen people have started from the helmet and work down from that, but I'm gonna do something a bit different start from the feet and work up. OMG!!!!!!!!!! I'm being different and if you knew me you would know I'm not one to do something different.

Re: Teenager's Foam Mk.VI Suit 60% Done - [Side Project War Machine Pep Helmet Starte

another 15 year old here, this inspires me so much. now I want to build one. keep up the good work!

Re: Teenager's Foam Mk.VI Suit 60% Done - [Side Project War Machine Pep Helmet Starte

Hey guys, long time since I updated - I have started painting! YES!
So far, I have painted the boots, the chest, and the helmet, but I only have pictures of the helmet... and I have lit it too!

61666051092909893262262.jpg

Enjoy, feedback would be amazing!

More pics to follow tomorrow!

Cheers Guys!
--Matt

Re: Teenager's Foam Mk.VI Suit {HELMET PAINTED AND LIT}

Great build so far mate.....especially liking the pepped war machine(cutting sucks right:lol)

I'm very jealous of your chest and back pieces....they are really super clean, makes mine look like lego iron man :lol

Keep up the good work dude and keep us posted of new updates

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back