MattCorneIM's Finished Foam Iron Man Suit! {Page 3} WOO!

Re: Mark VI Suit By 15 Year-Old - Abs Done!

You're off to a good start Matt! Aren't you having difficulties with the thickness of the foam you're using? I'd love to help in anyway I can! Keep on checking on my thread. I'd probably go back in time and post some pics of how I got to where I'am right now.

The only difficulties I have had with the thickness (10mm) is that it blunts the blade I use to cut it with so quickly, and with the helmet its been a bit hard to get the detail...
My plan is to get some 4mm foam, with which I can do the hands and the helmet with...

With regards to preserving the blade, I noticed that the less pressure you apply to it, the longer tha blade stays sharp. Meaning, you simply let the blade do it's job. Do not force it too much! The cutting base may also cause dulling :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Re: Mark VI Suit By 15 Year-Old - Abs Done!

Wow - today has been a long day -.-

I finished the back today - took way longer than it should have, due to various problems. Once again, halfway through it looked awesome, but then it turned out a bit rubbish...

20120604205436.jpg

20120604205447.jpg

What do you guys think? Keep or re-do?

-Matt

Re: Mark VI Suit By 15 Year-Old - Back Done!

You kicking butt on this thing Matt. So far I still have just my one bicep done. Need to find time to do more pieces!

it looks ok buddy just keep going..i am making a on purpose badly made iron man suit for a spoof my friends are planning so i am building and really tempted to do neat cuts and follow plan to the letter but then my friends say no make it look awful ... the main character is tommy stark a poor realtion of tony so poor equals crappy suit.

You kicking butt on this thing Matt. So far I still have just my one bicep done. Need to find time to do more pieces!

Well, I am on half term from my exams, and over the next few weeks my exams are really spread, so I manage to fit my build around revision...
I think working on the big pieces like the back would be best as then you know you only have smaller bits left to do, and the sense of achievement afterwards is immense :p

it looks ok buddy just keep going..i am making a on purpose badly made iron man suit for a spoof my friends are planning so i am building and really tempted to do neat cuts and follow plan to the letter but then my friends say no make it look awful ... the main character is tommy stark a poor realtion of tony so poor equals crappy suit.

Sounds pretty good, for some reason that sounds like something I would actually like to see :lol

Hey guys
Today I travelled from my mum's to my dad's house, so didn't have much time for building... I decided to have one last attempt at the helmet... Boy was it worth it!

I used a different template, (cant remember who by), and that made all the difference! Third time lucky eh?

Here is my 3rd attempt:

20120605212607.jpg

20120605212620.jpg

20120605212631.jpg

Here it is on me:

20120605212810.jpg

20120605212832.jpg

And finally, compared to my last effort:

20120605212920.jpg

20120605212940.jpg

20120605212952.jpg

I'm so proud of the difference, especially on the back! more movie-accurate, and more room inside as well!
I am now very happy :D :lol
Let me know what you guys think, as usual any comments or criticisms will be appreciated greatly :)

Seeya

-Matt

Re: Teenager's Attempt At Mark VI - Helmet Updated!

Woo - done the left bicep this morning, and aiming to do the other, and maybe the forearm this afternoon!

I had a few initial problems, but it al worked out in the end i think...

So here is the completed bicep:

20120606143401.jpg

20120606143414.jpg

20120606143423.jpg

20120606143433.jpg

And combined with the forearm:

20120606143548.jpg

20120606143601.jpg

I have a question: how and where did you guys hinge this joint? there's no obvious point at which I could do it... Confused! >.<

Until Next Time

--Matt

You can check the hero tutorials by Stealth in youtube, it's titled "suit up". You'll need aroung 8 pieces of chicago screws(4 for the elbows and the rest is for the knees). You may want to add some epoxy resin to strengthen that part.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Re: Teenager's Mark VI Build - Bicep Completed!

Matt, are you me?

Seriously your build is coming along about the same way mine did.

For encouragement, take a look again at your first page and first images, now look at the back and notice on how much better your doing.

Also, your biceps are making the same tortouse shell shape mine were. I finally remade them to correct it. So some advice if you rebuild,

Cut more of an angle for them, they should really meet up at like 100 degrees. Not quite 90, but just barely past.

Second when cutting out the patter again, make them slightly bigger. The file is really a throwback from the paper resin file, but with the foam, it will bend itself out of shape if you leave that gap I find. so If you extend them and have them touch teach other it will help keep it stable.

Here is a pic of my new ones, it may help you understand what I mean.

Note, this is my second set up biceps and 4th helmet!

Matt, are you me?

Seriously your build is coming along about the same way mine did.

Kolin86, I can assure you that I am not you :lol
I might rebuild, but for now they are adequate, and seeing as I am now halfway through my available foam I think I should plug on through the rest of the suit, and rebuild if I have the resources... as for now, I have built the second bicep, which is much the same as the first, if a little cleaner...

Working on the right forearm later, and the shoulders hopefully tomorrow :) Is that still going as your's did?

Nono, I wasn't thinking about order, but I noticed how on your back peice you cheated the height of the shoulders just like I did and your biceps and my first ones are pretty much identical to each other.

Either way, good luck, I hope you enjoy it.

Finally, I finished the other forearm - so much better than the original!

The glue's a bit sloppy, but otherwise it's alright...

On its own:

20120606231843.jpg

20120606231855.jpg

Both the biceps and forearms on me:

20120606232045.jpg

And then I put on everything I made so far:

20120606233329.jpg

20120606233343.jpg

Awesome pose!

20120606233357.jpg

And now my stand (Matt Mark II) looks a lot less bare :p

20120606233754.jpg

20120606233831.jpg

So that's where I'm at now! Tomorrow - Shoulders and/or Brace and/or Cod, and maybe make a start on the legs, depending on time (another move tomorrow evening)

Until Next Time
--Matt

Re: Teenager's Mark VI Build - Torso Almost Complete!

Hey guys,

Would have updated yesterday, but was at a friend's house, as my dad had a flying experience in a tigermoth... It never happened :(

As a bit of light humour, here he is, trying on my helmet:

20120607170653.jpg

Oh well, when I got back home, I finished the codpiece, which isn't too bad, the glue's a bit sloppy and some of the angles are off, but overall I'm pretty pleased with it...

Here it is (excuse the quality, the lighting was a bit rubbish):

The front:

20120608213327.jpg

20120608213336.jpg

The back:

20120608213349.jpg

20120608213404.jpg

20120608213417.jpg

20120608213424.jpg

And, on a side note, because I'm going to my grandparents' house tomorrow, I probably won't get much done, so here is the beginning of the shin:

20120608225154.jpg

Again, thanks for your support so far, I really appreciate it.

Until next time,

--Matt

Re: Teenager's Mark VI Build - Torso Complete!

Hey guys, finished the shins today, unfortunately my laptop has crashed, meaning Im having to use my mother's... I will post pictures when I figure out how to use it.

Until next time,
--Matt

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back